Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas - Glossy vs. Matte  (Read 9837 times)

jpgentry

Canvas - Glossy vs. Matte
« on: January 26, 2008, 05:25:35 pm »

I've used some glossy canvas from Breathing Color and was not happy.  They since pulled it from their site.  

I've used Breathing Color's matte and was very happy with that, but switched to the Fredrix as the artist I use liked how it stretched and I found it "close enough" when it came to gamut.  I also get it quickly as my supplier is local.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Fredrix glossy canvas or if there are any other success stories in the canvas world.  I'm waiting for a new product that my current supplier is working on and wondering what products others have been using.

Seems like Breathing Color and Fredrix are the only decent canvases that are available at a reasonable price.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:38:33 pm »

I've used some glossy canvas from Breathing Color and was not happy.  They since pulled it from their site. 

I've used Breathing Color's matte and was very happy with that, but switched to the Fredrix as the artist I use liked how it stretched and I found it "close enough" when it came to gamut.  I also get it quickly as my supplier is local.

Now I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Fredrix glossy canvas or if there are any other success stories in the canvas world.  I'm waiting for a new product that my current supplier is working on and wondering what products others have been using.

Seems like Breathing Color and Fredrix are the only decent canvases that are available at a reasonable price.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169836\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't like Breathing Color's glossy canvas either---so didn't care that it has been dropped from their site.  Their regular matte Chromata White canvas is excellent; the Glamour II finish has a slight learning curve, but works well.

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 11:49:25 am »

I use Breathing Color Glossy canvas and like it.  I use the glossy because I have photo black ink in my 9880 printer.  I bought a supply of the glossy before they pulled it from their site.  They are working on improving the glossy canvas.  I have stretched to 30X40 and it has worked well.  I put a heavy coat of the Glamour II varnish on it before stretching ( 1 part glossy and 1 part matte varnish).  Eleanor

I don't like Breathing Color's glossy canvas either---so didn't care that it has been dropped from their site.  Their regular matte Chromata White canvas is excellent; the Glamour II finish has a slight learning curve, but works well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169877\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

misterpatrick

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 06:51:41 pm »

I've used the glossy canvas from Epson and am really happy with the results. I have also used the matte canvas from Inkjet Art and was also happy with that though the matte has quite a different look. I think it really depends of what kind of look your going for. I spray both of them with fixing spray afterwards. I'd say I prefer the Epson but it is/was only available in rolls and I think they may not even be carrying in the 13" that I used to get. Luckily I still have three 50' rolls laying around. The Inkjet Art came in sheets and I bought 50 at 13" x 19".

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 05:10:04 am »

Sorry if that's not directly related to your question, but I'm testing Tecco (german brand) canvases on my R1800 - they got a matte one (Canvas Pro Plus, 340g/m2, 520µm), and a "satin" one (Canvas Satin, 350g/m2, 410µm) which is rather glossy, more than satin.
It's basically a matter of taste, but I feel that the reflections on the glossy canvas really kill most of the picture, except maybe in very controlled gallery lightings... because with the canvas structure, there is always a reflection in any part of the image.
For me, it explains how hard it is to make a convincing glossy canvas - hope this helps!

The matte one is quite pleasing, otoh.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:40:14 am by NikoJorj »
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Kenneth Sky

• http://
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 08:13:19 am »

Sorry to be slightly off topic but I'm looking for a source (preferably Canadian) of deep (2"-3") stretcher frames for my canvas prints. Is there anything besides staples to affix the print to the frame?
Pages: [1]   Go Up