Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In Camera Settings  (Read 3295 times)

W00DY

In Camera Settings
« on: January 26, 2008, 02:19:11 am »

Hi All,

As far as I know, when you import a RAW image into Lightroom it applies it's own default settings. Does this mean that it is pointless shooting RAW and also changing the in camera settings?

For example I usually up the contrast and saturation slightly in camera to get better results (which means less PP work) but then when imported into Lightroom I see a flat RAW file with none of the in camera tweaks I have made.

Is this correct?

Cheers.

flash

In Camera Settings
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 03:12:41 am »

Hi All,

As far as I know, when you import a RAW image into Lightroom it applies it's own default settings. Does this mean that it is pointless shooting RAW and also changing the in camera settings?

For example I usually up the contrast and saturation slightly in camera to get better results (which means less PP work) but then when imported into Lightroom I see a flat RAW file with none of the in camera tweaks I have made.

Is this correct?

Cheers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169665\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lightreom does not use any in camera settings. you could create your our calibration settings or presets to achieve a similar result.

Gordon

W00DY

In Camera Settings
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 03:50:39 am »

Lightreom does not use any in camera settings. you could create your our calibration settings or presets to achieve a similar result.

Gordon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Gordan,

I thought this was the case. Is there any RAW conversion programs that do read in camera settings?

GregW

• http://
In Camera Settings
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 06:42:06 am »

In the case of Nikon, Capture NX respects the in camera settings.  I'm sure there are may Canon users here who will know if DPP does the same.

flash

In Camera Settings
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 03:54:22 pm »

Thanks Gordan,

I thought this was the case. Is there any RAW conversion programs that do read in camera settings?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169674\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

any RAW converter that uses the Canon SDK will do so. DPP obviously but also programs like Breeze Browser. Programs like Lightroom, Capture 1, Lightzon. DX0, Aperture etc which offer more creative options, do not.

Gordon

madmanchan

• Web
In Camera Settings
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 03:57:51 pm »

In general, the camera manufacturer-supplied RAW conversion software reads the in-camera settings for that manufacturer's own models, as you'd expect. However, you should treat these in-camera settings as defaults or as a starting point, not as the "only answer" or the "right answer."
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up