Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Bag  (Read 3056 times)

marcmccalmont

Camera Bag
« on: January 26, 2008, 01:27:52 am »

Now that I'm carrying a Mamiya 645 and lenses around in a backpack I've been leaving the 5D behind and missing the quick shots and the long shots.
So If you have advice on a small case that would
1. hold the 5D + 70-300 DO + 24-105 + a few extras
2. attach to the backpack (belt, side or front)
3. let you attach a sholder strap when not using it with the backpack
4. high quality
Please let me know
Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
Camera Bag
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 11:25:40 am »

Now that I'm carrying a Mamiya 645 and lenses around in a backpack I've been leaving the 5D behind and missing the quick shots and the long shots.
So If you have advice on a small case that would
1. hold the 5D + 70-300 DO + 24-105 + a few extras
2. attach to the backpack (belt, side or front)
3. let you attach a sholder strap when not using it with the backpack
4. high quality
Please let me know
Thanks
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169660\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Marc

My first reflection is, since you have your Mamiya system, do you need those lenses for your 5D or could you get by with some that are lighter and more compact?

How about the 50 f/1.4 and one light weight still decent optic fixed focal length?

That way could keep your tele in a pouch on belt or in backpack. Perhaps 5D with 50mm in a neoprene pouch hanging round your shoulder and in backpack as it suits.

Regards
Anders

marcmccalmont

Camera Bag
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:38:22 am »

Hi Marc

My first reflection is, since you have your Mamiya system, do you need those lenses for your 5D or could you get by with some that are lighter and more compact?

How about the 50 f/1.4 and one light weight still decent optic fixed focal length?

That way could keep your tele in a pouch on belt or in backpack. Perhaps 5D with 50mm in a neoprene pouch hanging round your shoulder and in backpack as it suits.

Regards
Anders
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169737\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Last week I was in the middle of a stream setting up the 645 on a tripod and Lorraine shouted get a shot of the heron. If I had the 70-300 on the 5D and if it was handy I would have gotten the shot. So I was thinking of keeping the 5D with the 70-300 in a tapered pouch on the backpack belt. I keep the 5D in a velocity shoulder bag now and would like a single bag for both purposes, general over the shoulder use like the velocity and (without having to exchange everything in the bag) attached to  and accessible from the backpack. I've seen in advertisements chest bags and shoulder bags (with belt loops) but have not seen one in person or in use.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Hank

Camera Bag
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 12:40:48 pm »

For approximately the same needs (accessibility and speed anyway), we're very reliant upon the Tamrac belt pouches.  I'm not a fan of their belt, but the pouches attach nicely to the waist belt and shoulder straps of a pack.  And a matter of fact they attach well to almost anything else when you're not using the pack.  Since trying them out, I can't tell you when I last used a photo vest.  As for the solo carry of a body with a mounted lens, I'm not satisfied with any product I've tried.  

One large help was to get rid of the infernal short camera straps in vogue today and replace them with long versions so I could slip my head and one arm through the strap and dangle the camera down at waist level.  It carries more comfortably while being out of the way.  You can rotate it around so the camera rides on your back rather than the front too.  That's ideal for active use in most situations, but won't work while wearing a backpack.  Even so, it's awfully nice to get that camera down low and under your arm where a squeeze of the elbow secures it from swinging while you're doing something else.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 12:45:02 pm by Hank »

marcmccalmont

Camera Bag
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 01:12:16 pm »

For approximately the same needs (accessibility and speed anyway), we're very reliant upon the Tamrac belt pouches.  I'm not a fan of their belt, but the pouches attach nicely to the waist belt and shoulder straps of a pack.  And a matter of fact they attach well to almost anything else when you're not using the pack.  Since trying them out, I can't tell you when I last used a photo vest.  As for the solo carry of a body with a mounted lens, I'm not satisfied with any product I've tried. 

One large help was to get rid of the infernal short camera straps in vogue today and replace them with long versions so I could slip my head and one arm through the strap and dangle the camera down at waist level.  It carries more comfortably while being out of the way.  You can rotate it around so the camera rides on your back rather than the front too.  That's ideal for active use in most situations, but won't work while wearing a backpack.  Even so, it's awfully nice to get that camera down low and under your arm where a squeeze of the elbow secures it from swinging while you're doing something else.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169759\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have an original Tamrac velocity and have been looking at the new Velocity 5x 5765. Does the rear compartment (waist belt stowage) allow a back pack waist belt to go through? How do you attach yours to the backpack?
Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Hank

Camera Bag
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 01:35:53 pm »

Sorry if I created the impression that we're using the Velocity bags.  In fact, we're using their MAS (Modular Accessory System) lens cases and belt pouches.  Most useful for us are the MX5375, MX5378, and MX5384.  The MX5379 is almost certainly large enough to accomodate your 70-300.  Overall, they're much less bulky than a shoulder bag while distributing the weight much better.  After using them, any pack will quickly become a bulky accessory hopper while your most-used gear will be kept at hand on your waist.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Camera Bag
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 02:12:27 pm »

That is the same lens combo I like to carry around as my "backup" system.  the Do is especially light.

currently I've found the Lowepro Slingshot 200 to be a pretty good bog.  Body with attached 70-300do fit in it nicely.  Actually quite a bit larger than necessary for just those 3 items, plenty of room for other odds and ends as well, so may be larger than you are looking for.  Also not sure if it could really hang off a belt.

The slingshot 100 is a a little smaller and may work.  you may also be able to get one of their Toploader AW bags to work as well.

I'm going to try a different approach, and move to a better built vest to hold this type of stuff.  After reading about Vested Interested vests on another thread here, I am anxiously awaiting my new vest that looks like it can easily hold a dslr body and a couple of lenses.

marcmccalmont

Camera Bag
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 07:49:25 pm »

That is the same lens combo I like to carry around as my "backup" system.  the Do is especially light.

currently I've found the Lowepro Slingshot 200 to be a pretty good bog.  Body with attached 70-300do fit in it nicely.  Actually quite a bit larger than necessary for just those 3 items, plenty of room for other odds and ends as well, so may be larger than you are looking for.  Also not sure if it could really hang off a belt.

The slingshot 100 is a a little smaller and may work.  you may also be able to get one of their Toploader AW bags to work as well.

I'm going to try a different approach, and move to a better built vest to hold this type of stuff.  After reading about Vested Interested vests on another thread here, I am anxiously awaiting my new vest that looks like it can easily hold a dslr body and a couple of lenses.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169787\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hmm I never considered a vest, I always thought of them as a place for filters, film etc but I'll have a look at the vested interest vest
Marc
Marc McCalmont

astanley

Camera Bag
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 08:21:59 pm »

Hmm I never considered a vest, I always thought of them as a place for filters, film etc but I'll have a look at the vested interest vest
Marc
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Marc,

The Kata line of bags include two front-carry options - sling packs and waist packs:

[a href=\"http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=240&perentId=4&ProdLine=4]http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=240&...Id=4&ProdLine=4[/url]

In the other bag thread, someone suggested looking at Kata for backpacks.  I ordered the 207, and these look like great options for situations where you need something quickly.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up