Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR 4.1+: Vibrance vs. H/S  (Read 2195 times)

E Slagle

ACR 4.1+: Vibrance vs. H/S
« on: January 25, 2008, 02:50:05 pm »

It occurred to me (in theory at least) that perhaps I'm leaning too heavily on the Vibrance slider at times. I understand that Vibrance saturates non-flesh tones, which is great for people, but perhaps it's sometimes best to leave Vibrance zeroed out for nature/landscape images and use the H/S sliders instead.

Intuition suggests that it's one or the other. Vibrance for people and H/S for not-people. Using Vibrance in conjunction with H/S for nature pics may just muddy the waters so to speak. I would like to develop a "numbers eye" for how much an image needs a color boost and using Vibrance and H/S in tandem I think would make this more challenging.

Thoughts and experience will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Eric

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 04:15:58 pm »

Vibrance increases the saturation of under-saturated colors whereas saturation increases all colors.

E Slagle

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 07:53:30 pm »

Vibrance increases the saturation of under-saturated colors whereas saturation increases all colors.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169563\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I would think that this distinction would only hold up to a point.

When would adding Vibrance become more like adjusting Hue/Saturation, but without flesh tones? 25, at 50, at 100...? It seems that H/S would be more effective for non-skin saturation adjustments, but this I'm just guesstimating.

Eric
Pages: [1]   Go Up