Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Ds Mk3 - What's the best 50mm lens....  (Read 21539 times)

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
1Ds Mk3 - What's the best 50mm lens....
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 05:29:26 pm »

Dinarius,

I read your post - but for the benefit of others I provided the information. I don't get why you felt the need to be flippant especially when I took time to answer your question.   I use the 90mm tse and its one of my favorite canon lenses. The Leica R 50mm summicron is miles ahead of the canon 90mm so you'll most likely be very happy. It won't require modification to the mirror and you can get a focus confirm adapter. Quite a lot of used 'crons on the market and you should be able to pick one up for less than $200.

Eric
Rolleiflex USA

Dinarius

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 08:22:07 am »

Eric,

You're right. It does read as a bit catty. Apologies. No offence was intended, I can assure you.

Back on topic......

I used to use Olympus cameras (still have them, but never use them) and I forgot that I had a Zuiko f3.5 50mm macro. I also have an adapter allowing me to use my Zuiko lenses on my Mk3.

Tried both it and the Canon macro this morning and, while optically there is nothing between them, the Canon has some colour fringing that requires correction, whereas the Zuiko has none.

Now have someone looking for one of the Zeiss 60mm makro planar Ts.

D.

BenjaminJ

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 12:08:10 pm »

Any views on the Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro Planar T, as opposed to the 60mm?

Thanks.

D.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189356\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The obvious considerations:

- The 50mm is a ZF lens, meaning it has a Nikon F-mount, which can be an advantage if you ever get a Nikon body. You won't need an adapter then, and the diaphragm will be automatic (no manual stopping down). Might you want to sell the lens, that will also be easier with a ZF lens.

- The 50mm (f/2) is a full stop faster than the Zeiss 60mm (f/2.8) C/Y.

- The 50mm will probably be more expensive because of the previous point.

Dinarius

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 12:54:55 pm »

Thanks for that.

I'm only interested in Canon fit. No intention of getting a Nikon body.

On the other point, speed is of no issue to me. The camera is permanently on a tripod.

D.

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 04:42:22 am »

The ZF lenses fit on a Canon with a Nikon to Canon adapter, which is exactly how i described it, no need to buy a Nikon to use it on. The ZF lenses for use with a Canon is as good a solution as any for several reasons: Available new, current design, Nikon fit more popular than Contax if decided to sell.

Gary.

sojournerphoto

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 09:04:19 am »

The ZF lenses fit on a Canon with a Nikon to Canon adapter, which is exactly how i described it, no need to buy a Nikon to use it on. The ZF lenses for use with a Canon is as good a solution as any for several reasons: Available new, current design, Nikon fit more popular than Contax if decided to sell.

Gary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189881\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

and some cracking lenses:)

BenjaminJ

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 09:49:41 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=189881\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I wasn't suggesting that ZF lenses can't be used on Canon...  
You need an adapter, just like with C/Y lenses.

Just as a sidenote: don't you think that using a ZF lens on a Nikon body is more convenient, because the aperture closes down automatically, meaning that your viewfinder doesn't turn dark (when you use a small aperture) before making a shot? That would make handheld MF shots (last moment corrections) much more feasible. This might not be an issue for Dinarius, but I would definitely prefer the automatic aperture.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up