Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Dslll  (Read 8485 times)

Bev Hadland

1Dslll
« on: January 25, 2008, 09:48:42 am »

I wonder why Canon in their wisdom decided to separate the card system with a CP and SD card
seems a pointless exercise to me, surely 2 CD cards keeps it simple, now you have to mess around with SDs, has anybody found and SD larger than 2 mb? thats about 72 shots on a high raw file and to me thats useless when you could have 2x8 mb thats 16 agains't 10, where is the logic in that?
Well I'm in the market next week to up grade my 5D and i'm certainly going to look seriously at the D3 nikon even if it means changing every piece of Canon ive got, a hard wrench I know as Ihave used them for 30 odd years, its going to take some hard sell and convince me either way.

mahleu

• 500px
1Dslll
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 10:36:08 am »

Maybe because 2 CF slots would take up too much room? Someone has just released a 48Gb Cf card anyway so that should help you a bit. The largest SD cards i've seen were 16Gb.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
1Dslll
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:38:03 am »

The newer Canons have both Compact Flash and Secure Digital card slots, so you can use cards of either format. CF cards are available in 8GB sizes (I have one) and probably larger if you don't mind searching the net a bit, and SD cards are available to at least 4GB. No one is forcing you to commit to both formats; you are completely free to use one or the other.

And if you are looking for a 5D upgrade, Canon will probably be announcing an updated version soon. You might want to wait a bit before switching systems.

framah

1Dslll
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 10:41:40 am »

Orrr... you could just ignore the SD slot and use 16gig cards. Sure alot cheaper than trashing a whole line of equipment because there is a slot in the camera that you don't like. It sounds like you don't even have this camera and you are so upset that you will go thru the process of switching to Nikon so you will not have to look at a SD slot that you don't want to use.

I agree that what Canon did is a dumb move but then so is your solution.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

seanw

1Dslll
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 11:01:33 am »

I have no idea why Canon has an SD slot rather than a second CF slot. I've heard it suggested that a benefit would be if you needed to buy more memory while on a shoot and could only find SD cards.
Not sure how often this would happen since most places that carry SD cards also carry CF cards.

At any rate, you can get really good deals right now on Sandisk cards up to 16GB. After the rebate, the 16GB extreme III card is only $110.

SDHC cards are easy to find up to 8gb. There are supposed to be much higher capacity SD cards coming out but I haven't found them readily available yet.

canmiya

• beyond stills
1Dslll
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 11:07:52 am »

I wonder why Canon in their wisdom decided to separate the card system with a CP and SD card
seems a pointless exercise to me, surely 2 CD cards keeps it simple, now you have to mess around with SDs, has anybody found and SD larger than 2 mb? thats about 72 shots on a high raw file and to me thats useless when you could have 2x8 mb thats 16 agains't 10, where is the logic in that?
Well I'm in the market next week to up grade my 5D and i'm certainly going to look seriously at the D3 nikon even if it means changing every piece of Canon ive got, a hard wrench I know as Ihave used them for 30 odd years, its going to take some hard sell and convince me either way.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169465\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

it's been this way with the 1 series for a while now....quite frankly, i don't mind the different cards as i shoot my copyright small jpeg files directly to the sd card... and my raws to the cf card...there are several companies -including sandisk that have  4 gig and 8 gig sd cards available....

astanley

1Dslll
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 04:18:10 pm »

it's been this way with the 1 series for a while now....quite frankly, i don't mind the different cards as i shoot my copyright small jpeg files directly to the sd card... and my raws to the cf card...there are several companies -including sandisk that have  4 gig and 8 gig sd cards available....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169487\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

While I await my new camera... I had read in a number of places this was impossible -- that you had to write the JPG and RAW to the same card, or both cards, at once, not JPEG to one and RAW to the other.  Is this just typical internet FUD?

Cheers,

-Andrew

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
1Dslll
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 08:33:49 pm »

...not JPEG to one and RAW to the other.  Is this just typical internet FUD?

There's several options, but yes you can write a RAW to one card and a JPEG to the other. Given that RAW and JPEG from this camera are very different in size you can use a large CF card for RAW and a much smaller SD card for JPEG. I use 8Gb CF cards for RAW plus 4Gb SD cards for JPEG. The CF fills up long before the SD card!

RAW files are from 22 to 33Mb, Fine JPEG are from 4.5Mb - 11Mb.
Pete Truman

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
1Dslll
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 09:11:52 pm »

If you tend to overexpose as much as prudent like I do, you can easily get RAW files over 40MB from the 1DsIII. My biggest file so far is around 46MB.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:17:10 pm by djgarcia »
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
1Dslll
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 10:36:20 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169465\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure I would categorize that as an "upgrade".  Sure the D3 is a great camera, but that's more of a sidewise move. (yeah, I know, some won't agree with that.  But it's hard to argue the D3 is that much superior to the 5d).

If you really want an upgrade you might want to wait.  It's a photokina year, and it may be the D3 is just the first step in Nikon's admission that full frame sensors are here to stay.  By September you may have a better 5d, and new higher resolution Nikon available.

I personally never have more than 1 card in my Camera at a time anyway.  Don't want to mix them up, or worry about telling the camera which card to use.  I hardly ever shoot with large cards, I'd prefer changing them a little more often, knowing that if one card bites the dust, it doesn't have 2 hours of shooting on it.  I also rarely let a card fill up before changing it ... why wait.  I'll change it when it's convenient.  Of course, that's just how I like to work.  to each their own ...

canmiya

• beyond stills
1Dslll
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 03:39:44 pm »

While I await my new camera... I had read in a number of places this was impossible -- that you had to write the JPG and RAW to the same card, or both cards, at once, not JPEG to one and RAW to the other.  Is this just typical internet FUD?

Cheers,

-Andrew
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169564\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
prior to the 1d2n, you could not write the jpegs and raws to different cards.

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
1Dslll
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 06:08:53 pm »

There's several options, but yes you can write a RAW to one card and a JPEG to the other. Given that RAW and JPEG from this camera are very different in size you can use a large CF card for RAW and a much smaller SD card for JPEG. I use 8Gb CF cards for RAW plus 4Gb SD cards for JPEG. The CF fills up long before the SD card!

RAW files are from 22 to 33Mb, Fine JPEG are from 4.5Mb - 11Mb.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169626\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This brings up another thought.  I just received the 1ds mk III and was going to set up cf card for Raw and the SD for JPG  but now with using lightroom is there any real reason (at least for most of us) to even bother with JPG's?

djgarcia

1Dslll
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 07:35:54 pm »

If you require immediate images and don't have time to process, e.g. a photojournalist with a deadline (or just are in a lazy mood ), do jpegs. If you can wait until you process the raw files, then raw's the way to go.

larryg

1Dslll
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 11:01:19 pm »

If you require immediate images and don't have time to process, e.g. a photojournalist with a deadline (or just are in a lazy mood ), do jpegs. If you can wait until you process the raw files, then raw's the way to go.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175355\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I understand but for landscape (in the field) you can import to Lightroom and do a slide show to view all to make final selections etc.   I would only export the best of the best for promotional or slide show purposes.

At least we now have choices that we didn't have before Lightroom came on the scene
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 11:01:44 pm by larryg »

Ray

1Dslll
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 11:51:17 pm »

I have no idea why Canon has an SD slot rather than a second CF slot. I've heard it suggested that a benefit would be if you needed to buy more memory while on a shoot and could only find SD cards.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169482\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How about the following as a good reason? Canon's highest resolving sensor will be the one in the new 12mp 450D which will be available soon. This camera doesn't accept CF cards. It's designed to attract customers who use P&S cameras and SD cards, but there's no doubt that people who already own Canon gear and use CF cards will find a use for the 450D. They will have to buy SD cards. Having bought the SD cards, they might feel a bit annoyed if they could only use them with their 450D.

One might think that those who own a 1Ds3 would have no use for a 450D. It's in a different class. But there are uses. It's lighter and more compact and would serve as an alternative to carrying a P&S when ultimate lightness is not required. It should also provide a more detailed image with a good telephoto prime when shooting small wildlife. 12mp on the cropped format is equivalent to 31mp on FF. Does anyone doubt that a 31mp FF sensor when used with the best optics will produce a sharper, more detailed result, in the centre of the image at least, than a 21mp FF sensor?

djgarcia

1Dslll
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 01:04:29 am »

At least we now have choices that we didn't have before Lightroom came on the scene[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175381\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm curious - what choices are those that we didn't have with say, Photoshop & ACR, or some of the other image processing solutions available?

larryg

1Dslll
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 09:55:58 am »

I'm curious - what choices are those that we didn't have with say, Photoshop & ACR, or some of the other image processing solutions available?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=175398\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just for reviewing files for selection.   Before Lightroom I had to burn JPG's to view in a third party sideshow program to make selection.  Now with Lightroom I can view the raw files and get a pretty good rendition for selection puposes.  I then can pick the keepers and then do the necessary developments I feel are needed
but I am only working on my keeper selections.

By not having to burn JPGS (just for initial review) it would saves time and disk space   Basically a quick way to quickly review my work in the field.
If I need jpgs for a slideshow I can burn just the jpgs that I select
If one needs to export, download images that is another issue
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 09:59:58 am by larryg »

djgarcia

1Dslll
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 10:58:32 am »

Interesting. I do exactly the same in Bridge which behaves pretty much the same in that respect (I also have Lightroom but currently prefer Bridge-ACR-PS for my type of workflow). When you say "burn" I assume you mean develop, not burn to a CD or such.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
1Dslll
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 02:36:34 am »

I hardly ever shoot with large cards, I'd prefer changing them a little more often, knowing that if one card bites the dust, it doesn't have 2 hours of shooting on it. I also rarely let a card fill up before changing it ... why wait.  I'll change it when it's convenient.  Of course, that's just how I like to work.  to each their own ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169645\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wayne, have you ever been shooting and had the chance to capture a great shot only to get teh "out of space" notification? I use to use 2GB cards on my 5D, but moved to the 8GB cards backed up whit the 2GB cards. I never want that to happen again.

I was in a very crowded carnival that was just over, and hundreds of people were exiting. I was getting some decent shots of the movement when 'Our of Space" got me. It was a rip offs dream world, and one slight could have costed me a lens or tripod. Haven't had that happen with the 8GB cards yet. Just change the large cards out as often as you like, and when you need the space, you have it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 02:39:47 am by dwdallam »

Marsupilami

1Dslll
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 03:17:14 am »

Not sure I would categorize that as an "upgrade".  Sure the D3 is a great camera, but that's more of a sidewise move. (yeah, I know, some won't agree with that.  But it's hard to argue the D3 is that much superior to the 5d).

If you really want an upgrade you might want to wait.  It's a photokina year, and it may be the D3 is just the first step in Nikon's admission that full frame sensors are here to stay.  By September you may have a better 5d, and new higher resolution Nikon available.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169645\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The interesting thing with Nikon D3 are the new lenses (14-24, 24-70 and upcoming Tilt/Shift) sadly Canon can not compare with this lenses, so what is the use to wait for a better Canon camera like 5D mark II ? I Have tested these lenses with the D3 myself and I was angry about the poor wide angle performance of Canon before, now I am even more upset, because obviously it is possibly to make good wide angle lenses for digital full frame.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up