Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Basin National Park (NV) experience?  (Read 4059 times)

NashvilleMike

Great Basin National Park (NV) experience?
« on: January 25, 2008, 09:05:36 am »

A friend and I were talking, and neither of us knew much about Great Basin NP in Nevada, so I thought I'd throw it out to the forum for some input.

Is this a nice (if moderately out of the way) side trip when one is in the Bryce/Zion/Vegas area and is looking for something different?

How's the Wheeler Peak road - is that one of those heart-attack/steep drop-off trips that causes family members to shrivel in the back seat, or pretty reasonable?

Any photographic locations that are particularly memorable?

I'd be curious as to opinions/thoughts of those who have been there.

-m
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:06:00 am by NashvilleMike »

Hank

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 10:41:27 am »

I've been through it and all around the fringes, but never to the higher locations.  That's because surprisingly the high country is often inaccessible except in the warm season due to road conditions.  I'm typically there in late fall (November or later) and early spring (March).  

In the hills along the fringes, especially to the north, and even out of the park itself along Hwy 50 life and photography can get interesting.  It's very stark country highlighted by brushy draws and old manmade structures  and cottonwoods here and there to use as focal points in broad landscapes.  One of my favorite photos features a herd of about 1000 sheep being moved the old fashioned way- dogs, men on foot and horseback, and horsedrawn herders wagons- through rolling stark hills in late afternoon light toward a winding yellow strip of vegetation and ancient corral in a creek bottom.  The herd is a long winding "river" of animals conforming to the landscape and trailing dust, and it works quite well as counterpoint to the colorful creek.  There's wildlife too, which can perform the same function.  Another favorite photo is an elk herd seen small but clearly recognizable against the snow in the same sort of terrain.  Both photos are stark, but made really interesting by the "breaks" in the patterns of the landscape.

Overall, it's a long ways between locations and services, and often quite deserted.  If you like open country and great horizons, whether stark deserts, foothills or mountains, it will be good country for you.  That's what I happen to like.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 10:44:20 am by Hank »

jdemott

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 11:42:54 am »

I've been there one time only, and it is on the list of places I definitely want to re-visit.  There are bristlecone pines in the high country which can make great photo subjects.  Because of the park's location and terrain, the weather there can change rapidly.  That can offer some great skies for photos, but we were chased down out of some exposed high country by a fierce electrical storm.  If you have looked at a map you know that the park isn't near any population centers so there aren't many choices for food and accommodations.  OTOH, there aren't any crowds.
John DeMott

B-Ark

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 12:18:25 pm »

I've only been there once (Nov I think), and froze my tailfeathers off in the campground. Take the guided tour through the cave - some nice formations there.

Hank

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 12:39:58 pm »

Good point B-Ark.  That country can get COLD.  Due to the remoteness and distance to services, camping is a viable alternative.  But only if you're an experienced cold weather camper.  In addition to suitable clothing and sleeping bags, you need to get off the ground whether using an air matress or a cot.  Your water and other liquids go in an ice chest overnight too, to prevent freezing.  If there's any air movement at all, seek out sheltered camping locations.

Also, beware of thin, invisible ice coatings on the roads in winter any time temps drop suddenly- not just first thing in the morning, but sometimes later in the afternoon, and almost certainly at first dark.  It may be "desert" but any moisture in the air can put just enough ice on the road to make them slick, even as you are meanwhile tempted to push the speeds on those straight open roads.

NashvilleMike

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 12:55:34 pm »

Thanks for the info.

My request was more for "future" planning and to provide some info for a friend - and I'd only be going in the summer months myself....

-m

henkelphoto

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 06:07:50 pm »

I might add that the road up from Las Vegas is a nice photogenic road also, however I'm not sure if I would call it a "side trip" from Vegas. Travel time straight through with no stops runs about 5-6 hours.

Jerry

NashvilleMike

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 09:28:06 pm »

I might add that the road up from Las Vegas is a nice photogenic road also, however I'm not sure if I would call it a "side trip" from Vegas. Travel time straight through with no stops runs about 5-6 hours.

Jerry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169602\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ah - no problem with that. That's next door compared to some things I've driven

So - any comments from anyone who has driven that Wheeler road? I'm not much into anything that might make "top 10 scariest roads" or something....

-m

jdemott

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 11:06:02 pm »

So - any comments from anyone who has driven that Wheeler road? I'm not much into anything that might make "top 10 scariest roads" or something....

Hi Mike,

It has been a few years since I was there, but I did drive the road all the way up to its highest point and I don't have any memory of it as being in the scariest roads category.   As much as I remember, the road was well engineered and well maintained two lane road.  If you are thinking about traveling with a trailer or RV it might be worth a call to the ranger station in the park--I've always found Park Service people to be very helpful.

Sorry I can't offer more specifics.  My recollection is mainly of the scenery, which was great.
John DeMott
Pages: [1]   Go Up