Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats the minimum usage to keep a printer healthy?  (Read 2533 times)

Dansk

Whats the minimum usage to keep a printer healthy?
« on: January 25, 2008, 08:43:54 am »

I'm running an Epson 3800 now which I've had for about a year with n problems at all I am very pleased with it. Recently I have finally convinced my busiest source for print proofing that soft proofing will suffice so I am no longer required to produce proofs on a regular basis. Now I find the printer sits idle until I have an art print or other proper print work to do which is seldom. The printer sat idle for over a month recently and I just fired it up for a decent sized job which it again performed well.

I am just trying to get an idea of how long it can safely sit without running some prints off and when i do how many prints should I run through it? I just want to make sure it stays in good working order is all. Thanks guys

walter.sk

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 08:57:54 am »

I don't have an Epson, and do my printing on the HPZ3100.  It goes through  one or more routines several times a day (and overnight) to monitor and maintain the heads and lines, and I have not yet come across any problems with clogging, etc, either from other Z3100 users or personally.  However, on an older Epson dinosaur (1200)  if I didn't print at least an 8x10 in a week, I risked having one or more nozzles plug up, requiring a head cleaning.

I would assume that one low res print a week would be good insurance.

Dansk

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 10:06:57 am »

I had a 1280 that was similar. It worked great when it was clean but clogged regularly. The 2400 wasn't bad at all though it worked decent but the ink wells are too small on it. This 3800 is impressive for the price. The roll feeder would have been nice though but i guess thats why they have the 4800. Gotta pay to play.

Thanks for the prompt response
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 10:07:16 am by Dansk »

namartinnz

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 03:50:25 pm »

I have a Z3100. When new February last year I suffered some print head blockages after a few weeks. These were replaced under warranty. Then it suffered more head blockages later when some canvas scuffed the heads (was lifted at one end). After several cleans I still had no better luck clearing the heads. I decided I didn't want the hassle of getting more print heads so just kept repeating the cleaning cycles. After about 12 repeats they were all good again - and they use very little in the way of ink when doing it unlike my Epson 4000.  Over the Christmas break I took two weeks off work - the printer worked perfectly after not being used.
Neal
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 04:04:06 pm by namartinnz »
Pages: [1]   Go Up