Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your favorite Matte/Photo/B+W papers for Z3100  (Read 4019 times)

sonamair

Your favorite Matte/Photo/B+W papers for Z3100
« on: January 24, 2008, 09:53:14 pm »

Wondering if you Guys would mind starting a list of each of your favorite papers for the Z3100 for these categories with an explanation for why with each choice.....If you were left to only these three choices...Please include canvas as a fourth choice if you use it. If you don't mind please select your #1 paper choice if you could have only one of the three or four and state  what would it be? Why?
I am doing photography almost exclusively  initially with the printer ....Fall landscapes and " The countryside"...but will be doing portraits, B+W and wildlife including birds.

I am ordering the printer tomorrow and trying to decide how to invest initially on papers for the 44 inch Z3100 PS.
As always thank you for your input...You guys have been amazingly helpful and your feedback is much appreciated.
I hope this thread also might be of use to others.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 09:59:49 pm by sonamair »

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:00:24 pm »

I'm hoping that if people share they consider adding their choices/information to the z3100 wiki as well.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 11:03:28 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Roscolo

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:43:42 pm »

For B&W I like HP Premium ID Satin. I like that color for paper as well. Also like the HP Lith paper...it's a really nice heavyweight matte paper.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 07:28:46 am »

Rather than all the new Baryta type semi or glossy faux gelatin prints, the Pro Satin when printed with Gloss Enhancer is the most trouble free, reliable media for B&W.
As for matte, pick any one you like , the white point of the paper being the personalization that each photographer has to choose.

Richard Galosy

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 08:10:57 am »

Rather than all the new Baryta type semi or glossy faux gelatin prints, the Pro Satin when printed with Gloss Enhancer is the most trouble free, reliable media for B&W.
As for matte, pick any one you like , the white point of the paper being the personalization that each photographer has to choose.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169436\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use the following for both color and B & W: Kodak ID Premium Lustre; HP Hahnemuhle smooth and textured fine art paper; Lex Jet Satin canvas; HP Professional Matte canvas.

Richard Galosy
Richard Galosy
Richard Galosy Photography
Woodland, CA 95695
517-719-1913
rgalosyphoto@aol.com
richardgalosy.com

dkeyes

• http://
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 12:20:01 pm »

I only do color work and print on HP Pro Satin. Works best with GE, great gamut, no gloss differential, nice surface and great longevity specs.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 01:16:53 pm »

HP's pro satin is terrific for color prints, and I've been very pleased with it for black & white as well.

If you can get past the surface texture, Epson's premium luster is pretty cheap in 100' rolls, and the D-max & gamut are excellent. This is my 'cheap' production paper for folks who don't care about the details.

Hahnemuhle photo rag satin really seems to sing with this printer. It's the only matte paper I use. The surface texture is very similar to plain photo rag when you load it, but once the ink hits the paper it takes on a subtle satin surface that varies with color or tonal density. Once printed it has a metallic sheen that is really striking with the right image. I love it for black & white, and the surface looks great for blue skies or green foliage.

I wasn't thrilled with Hahnemuhle smooth fine art for HP; a bit too drab in gamut and D-max after seeing what pro satin can do.

garyfcampbell

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 05:35:23 pm »

For canvas I have been very pleased with Breathing Color's Chromata White Matte canvas combined with their Glamour II matte varnish coating.

They also have a glossy canvas and varnish, but I haven't tried it.

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 06:34:27 pm »

Proofing papers (sometimes final inexpensive prints):
Matte
Epson Enhanced Matte
HP Litho-Realistic
Satin
HP Premium Instant-Dry Photo Satin

Fine Art
HP Hahnemuhle Smooth Fine Art
Moab Entrada (bright and natural)
Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin

Fine Art Papers to try next:
Hahnemuhle Bamboo
HP Professional Satin Photo

Notes:
I'm not a big fan of RC but the Z3100 has me working with the satins thanks to the GE and the nice gamut.  

B&W - I print B&W on all the papers - depends on the nature of the image and white point as mentioned earlier

I'm really a fan of the HP HSFA - I just like the look and feel of the paper.  Depending on the image the quad blacks on the Z3100 can make great looking prints.

I think the Z3100 does a great job on the Photo Rag Satin with GE on.  Not all of my images look good on it but I have a few where the paper produced some stunning effects with greens, blues and reds.

Neil Snape provided an excellent write up on the Hahnemuhle Bamboo and I think I do work that would be suited to this paper.

HP Pro Satin is a paper that I have sample prints on and I like it and its about time to buy a roll and give it a try.
Regards,
Ron

hubicka

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 06:48:50 pm »

We print mostly for historical negatives from our archive. for pre 1950s photos, HP Litho-real is doing beautiful job especially for toned prints. We use HP Satin Pro for neutral B&W for later negatives, it has no important gloss differential and overall is very nice paper.  

However I am now looking for paper for exhibition of photos from 1960s http://sechtl-vosecek.ucw.cz/en/galerie/ma...lova/index.html
and HP Satin Pro has relatively modern feel (it is quite white and blacks are very dark compared to classical photographic papers).  So I tried Mediaware Baryta and it gives closer look in this respect, but the gloss differential is just inacceptable. The paper does not seem to be able to accept enough ink in the darks (at least with profile provided by mediaware and calibration. I didn't buy enough samples to profile myself).  Did someone had luck with paper closer to classical B&W prints?

Honza

Dward

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 09:16:03 am »

Fine Art:

Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308
Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin 308
Innova Cold Press Art 315 (heavily textured)
Innova Fiba-Print White Gloss 300
Harman Gloss FB AL
Moab Entrada (much like Photo Rag but cheaper)
Hawk Mountain Condor Bright White (EXCELLENT and inexpensive paper)

Canvas:

Sihl 3948 Instant Dry Canvas (satin)
InkAid 901 (the heaviest and smoothest canvas I've seen, but pricey.)

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography

Sven W

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 11:54:15 am »

I've done some 60's neg on Innova Fiba Print WarmTone, and it's really "right-on".
/Sven
We print mostly for historical negatives from our archive. for pre 1950s photos, HP Litho-real is doing beautiful job especially for toned prints. We use HP Satin Pro for neutral B&W for later negatives, it has no important gloss differential and overall is very nice paper. 

However I am now looking for paper for exhibition of photos from 1960s http://sechtl-vosecek.ucw.cz/en/galerie/ma...lova/index.html
and HP Satin Pro has relatively modern feel (it is quite white and blacks are very dark compared to classical photographic papers).  So I tried Mediaware Baryta and it gives closer look in this respect, but the gloss differential is just inacceptable. The paper does not seem to be able to accept enough ink in the darks (at least with profile provided by mediaware and calibration. I didn't buy enough samples to profile myself).  Did someone had luck with paper closer to classical B&W prints?

Honza
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169611\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Stockholm, Sweden

D_Clear

• DERMOT CLEARY PHOTOGRAPHER
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 12:50:40 pm »

Paper aesthetics notwithstanding, when compared with other papers using a (non-subjective) checklist; dmax, gamut, gloss differential, longevity, weight, suitability to the printer & inkset, manufacturing quality (44" resolved), sizes, availability, etc...  the measurable specs on HP Professional Satin and HP Premium ID (Instant Dry) Satin (same surface, Pro. is heavier of the two), puts them at the top of my paper recommendation for the Z3100.

There are a number of us who have dialed-in on the HP Satin; in communication with Jon Smith, Jon works with respected printer/photographer Joel Meyerowitz, after exhaustive testing Joel uses only this paper on his Z3100 for the reasons listed above.

I'll leave recommendation on Fine Art Paper to others.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 12:58:51 pm by D_Clear »
DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up