Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How important is 'in camera' white balance?  (Read 7471 times)

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
How important is 'in camera' white balance?
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 09:54:01 am »

Just a small correction;

Leaf backs can show the separate channel histogram as well as the luminance one and they do it from the RAW file not from a JPEG. The preview image is being re-generated every time a parameter changes (sharpening, curve, Input profile, WB etc.).

I would recommend using a Grey card in the images so you can either set the WB on the back (zoom in and pick the Grey card, then save it) or you can do it in post, but at least you have a good neutral starting point.

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169425\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A little late reaction but I have been away for almost a month. I find the Histogram on the Leaf second to none. It is absolutely fabulous as is the way of setting the WB. I normally leave my backs on daylight and shoot grey or/and correct later (if necessary on the numbers or anything I perceive being neutral).

The Leaf histogram and WB picking is probably they thing I miss most in every other back I am using currently.

bjanes

How important is 'in camera' white balance?
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 12:26:01 pm »

This is to me a very interesting snip

SLightly off topic - sorry - but I am convinced that most digicams I have owned roughen skin making it blotchy ie exagerating darker skin areas

These areas of skin probably contain more magenta than nice areas of skin

Are you saying that digicams in general are oversensitive to green (correcting this difficciency in the digital processing of the image)

SMM
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In general, most camera sensors are most sensitive to green. For example, here is the spectral response function (SRF) for a [a href=\"http://scien.stanford.edu/class/psych221/projects/05/joanmoh/spectral.html]Nikon D70[/url]. When you take a picture of an actual scene (say a MacBeth Color Checker), the camera response to each color patch will be related to the sensitivity of the chip and the spectrum of the illuminant. Daylight has a fairly flat spectrum, whereas tungsten is deficient in blue.

Look at the white balance coefficients for White Balance. Green has a multiplier of 1.0. To achieve white balance the red and blue channels must be multiplied by the shown factors.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up