Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worth getting the APS option on HP Z3100 printer?  (Read 2588 times)

howseth

• http://howseth.com/
Worth getting the APS option on HP Z3100 printer?
« on: January 23, 2008, 05:27:25 pm »

Before I buy an HP Z3100 printer, I am trying to figure out if I would get a big enough advantage getting the APS model.
I am printing small editions of 'Fine Art' photos. Naturally, I want the best quality - (with the least amount of hassles.)

Also, is this  APS an option that can be added later if desired?

Howard

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 06:16:24 pm »

Whether you need to spring for APS depends upon your needs. Some very knowledgable folks posting on this forum recommend it for just about everyone due to the greater accuracy of resulting profiles. On the other hand, I've been perfectly happy with the base model (non-APS) Z3100 and its built-in automated profiling, at least for semigloss/satin papers using photo black ink. The "canned" profile provided by HP for their Hahnemuhle smooth fine art paper is visibly better than the profile the built-in spectro produced for me.

I think if your "fine art" work is mostly landscapes you'll be happy with the base model, and you can always upgrade to APS later. If you're doing work where color accuracy is absolutely critical, like fashion spreads, then it probably makes sense to buy APS up front. Just my opinion; others may disagree.

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:00:37 pm »

Geoff has offered sound advice.  You don't mention what papers you plan on printing on though.  

I got APS after purchasing my base Z3100.  I actually used my cash rebate to buy it.  When I bought my printer they either didn't offer APS packaged with the printer or I missed it.  In any case I like to print a lot on matte papers and believe that the APS profiles I've created with the TC9.18 target have made a difference.  YMMV.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:01:20 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

howseth

• http://howseth.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:56:57 pm »

Thanks guys - for your input. I am not sure of the papers I will settle on yet. I may use both the glossy/satin type bartya fine art papers as well as the mat art papers - like Hahnemuhle's.  If I can add the APS system at any time then I might do that later- As long as there is no problem with adding the APS at a later date?

Howard

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 06:43:13 am »

Thanks guys - for your input. I am not sure of the papers I will settle on yet. I may use both the glossy/satin type bartya fine art papers as well as the mat art papers - like Hahnemuhle's.  If I can add the APS system at any time then I might do that later- As long as there is no problem with adding the APS at a later date?

Howard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169130\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No problem installing APS later.  APS is just a software install.  The package includes an x-rite i1Display 2 colorimeter for calibrating/profiling your monitor though.  The colorimeter also acts as a dongle for the APS software.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up