Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shutter release on Mamiya AFD II slower than expec  (Read 3455 times)

jing q

• we are super
Shutter release on Mamiya AFD II slower than expec
« on: January 23, 2008, 09:59:21 am »

for those users of the Mamiya AFD II, do you find that the shutter release is a fraction slow?
Everytime I fire the shutter it feels like there's a slight delay before the mirror slaps, so I'm not sure whether I should trust that the image is being recorded on the mirror slap or on the moment I press down the shutter button
Even with mirror up it still feels like there's a slight lag.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences the same feeling.

snickgrr

• http://
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 11:13:19 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:22:58 am by snickgrr »

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:18:05 am »

It's not as quick as a 1Ds2, but there's alot more mass to move (larger mirror, larger curtains, etc).  With a Phase One back there is a shutter latency (short or long) option; short is the correct setting on the AFD II w/ focal plane shutter / lenses.  I think some of the lag time is added with the back; a couple text strings cycle through the viewfinder - one of them being "DB CAP", but I think there is a message before that.  My point is, getting the back ready to go may be adding some milliseconds to the equation.

There are probably some custom functions on the body which may influence things too - such as metering options.  I remember changing a metering option which was supposed to extend battery life.  If you're using AF focus, that'll slow things down since the camera locks focus first.  There's no a beep, so sometimes I think it should just fire, but the camera is still tweaking focus in a very small adjustments.

jing q

• we are super
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:24:59 am »

It's not as quick as a 1Ds2, but there's alot more mass to move (larger mirror, larger curtains, etc).  With a Phase One back there is a shutter latency (short or long) option; short is the correct setting on the AFD II w/ focal plane shutter / lenses.  I think some of the lag time is added with the back; a couple text strings cycle through the viewfinder - one of them being "DB CAP", but I think there is a message before that.  My point is, getting the back ready to go may be adding some milliseconds to the equation.

There are probably some custom functions on the body which may influence things too - such as metering options.  I remember changing a metering option which was supposed to extend battery life.  If you're using AF focus, that'll slow things down since the camera locks focus first.  There's no a beep, so sometimes I think it should just fire, but the camera is still tweaking focus in a very small adjustments.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169009\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the RZ seems to respond much faster than the AFD II.

on the AFDII I use manual focus on a tripod, and still it's slow to react. maybe I'm doing something wrong.
quite irritating...

jonstewart

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 11:38:26 am »

the RZ seems to respond much faster than the AFD II.

on the AFDII I use manual focus on a tripod, and still it's slow to react. maybe I'm doing something wrong.
quite irritating...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I feel much the same as jing_q: Hopefully it'll be improved for the new camera.
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 12:58:58 pm »

It's not as quick as a 1Ds2, but there's alot more mass to move (larger mirror, larger curtains, etc).  With a Phase One back there is a shutter latency (short or long) option; short is the correct setting on the AFD II w/ focal plane shutter / lenses.  I think some of the lag time is added with the back; a couple text strings cycle through the viewfinder - one of them being "DB CAP", but I think there is a message before that.  My point is, getting the back ready to go may be adding some milliseconds to the equation.

There are probably some custom functions on the body which may influence things too - such as metering options.  I remember changing a metering option which was supposed to extend battery life.  If you're using AF focus, that'll slow things down since the camera locks focus first.  There's no a beep, so sometimes I think it should just fire, but the camera is still tweaking focus in a very small adjustments.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169009\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi
As a long time user of the AFD & now AFDII. Two things you can do with the AFDII is set the focus to the rear of the camera or front ( CF 18 ) & make sure your batteries are new. I can get about 2000 shots from a set of batteries ( 6 AAs are used ). Buy a spare battery cartridge so you can change on the fly. I did this with my Canon EOS 1 camera. As the batteries get lower I have found the shutter release lag gets longer. So always have a fresh set of batteries as they are not expensive only a few dollars these days.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 01:29:25 pm »

for those users of the Mamiya AFD II, do you find that the shutter release is a fraction slow?
Yes, there's quite a bit of shutter lag on the AFD II.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 01:52:43 am »

Hi
As a long time user of the AFD & now AFDII. Two things you can do with the AFDII is set the focus to the rear of the camera or front ( CF 18 ) & make sure your batteries are new. I can get about 2000 shots from a set of batteries ( 6 AAs are used ). Buy a spare battery cartridge so you can change on the fly. I did this with my Canon EOS 1 camera. As the batteries get lower I have found the shutter release lag gets longer. So always have a fresh set of batteries as they are not expensive only a few dollars these days.
Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169031\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

2000 clicks?!?!  D-A-M-N!!!  I'll have to check into F18 because right now I'm getting 400-600 clicks with manual lenses (no AF).  If you're using rechargeables, what mah rating?  The battery indicator goes from hero to zero almost instantly too; there's essentially no warning that the batteries are about to go.  I'm hoping the AFDIII has a LiON set-up.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 07:14:51 am »

2000 clicks?!?!  D-A-M-N!!!  I'll have to check into F18 because right now I'm getting 400-600 clicks with manual lenses (no AF).  If you're using rechargeables, what mah rating?  The battery indicator goes from hero to zero almost instantly too; there's essentially no warning that the batteries are about to go.  I'm hoping the AFDIII has a LiON set-up.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169163\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The batteries seem to last forever on my AFDII.

Re. The lag, I've heard it said that the Phase backs do a new black exposure just before the main exposure, whenever you change the speed to which the camera is set. I don't know whether this is true or just a rumor.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 07:12:22 am »

The lag is bad with the AFD and AFD II, I measured it recently and it was very poor when I was triggering with PW multimax.  

Its going to be improved with the AFD III.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up