Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stop Misspelling "Losing" as "Loosing"!!!  (Read 161462 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Stop Misspelling "Losing" as "Loosing"!!!
« Reply #140 on: February 29, 2008, 03:40:03 pm »

No, raw is absolutely not a file format. It merely describes the file format, which is simply the common word describing the unchanged state of the file or capture, or yes, even uncooked meat in your example. CR2 or NEF (Canon and Nikon, respectively), for example, are the file formats for the raw capture, which are acronyms.
Since we're in this thread, I think it's reasonable to point out that CR2 certainly isn't an acronym: how on earth would you pronounce it? It's an abbreviation (Canon Raw v2?).

NEF is an acronym, standing for Nikon Electronic File (I think).

Jeremy

Darren

« Reply #141 on: February 29, 2008, 05:01:13 pm »

CR2 certainly isn't an acronym. It's an abbreviation
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178298\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you for your perfect illustration of a contradiction!

Panorama

« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2008, 02:39:54 pm »

I would say that text messaging (using predictive text input) is actually improving spelling rather than the opposite. It's a shame that the media and it's reporting can't quite share the same levels of accuracy.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169063\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm glad to know that network news is "efforting" to bring us the information we need. Their not loosing there minds at all over they're.

Seriously - Boston, ABC, channel 5 is the one that's "efforting". I about fell out of my chair......

Ray

« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2008, 06:47:18 am »

I prefer RAW over raw because RAW files are better than JPEG files  .

There's also a connotation of a proper name. RAW may not denote a specific and precise file format, but it's certainly a generic term for a proprietary file format native to the camera. raw just doesn't look important enough   .

jashley

« Reply #144 on: March 05, 2008, 10:05:12 am »

I'd say spelling "yeah" as "yea" (yay) is probably second only to "loosing" as the most  common misspelling on forums.

Also, the most commonly misused word on forums is "ironic".  People constantly use "ironic" when they should use "coincidental".  Just saw an example of that on this forum.

Rob C

« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2008, 04:13:05 am »

I'd say spelling "yeah" as "yea" (yay) is probably second only to "loosing" as the most  common misspelling on forums.

Also, the most commonly misused word on forums is "ironic".  People constantly use "ironic" when they should use "coincidental".  Just saw an example of that on this forum.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179296\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not to mention the confusion with palette and palate.... best not mention it.

Rob C

Provokot

• http://www.pauldaveycreative.co.uk
« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2008, 04:33:27 pm »

I'd say spelling "yeah" as "yea" (yay) is probably second only to "loosing" as the most  common misspelling on forums.

Also, the most commonly misused word on forums is "ironic".  People constantly use "ironic" when they should use "coincidental".  Just saw an example of that on this forum.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=179296\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Its ironic how many people don't understand the meaning of the word "ironic".  I blame Alanis Morisette.

jashley

« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2008, 11:21:05 am »

Its ironic how many people don't understand the meaning of the word "ironic".  I blame Alanis Morisette.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180465\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That song didn't help, did it?

Here's something which actually happened to me, and has become one of my favorite examples of irony.  Went into a public restroom to take a leak.  There were two stalls (one handicapped), and three urinals.  Non-handicapped stall was occupied, but standing in front of the left-hand urinal was a handicapped guy who had gotten up out of his wheelchair to pee, and had left his wheelchair blocking the other two urinals, so I ended up using the handicapped stall!

Provokot

• http://www.pauldaveycreative.co.uk
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2008, 12:37:58 pm »

That song didn't help, did it?

Here's something which actually happened to me, and has become one of my favorite examples of irony.  Went into a public restroom to take a leak.  There were two stalls (one handicapped), and three urinals.  Non-handicapped stall was occupied, but standing in front of the left-hand urinal was a handicapped guy who had gotten up out of his wheelchair to pee, and had left his wheelchair blocking the other two urinals, so I ended up using the handicapped stall!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180600\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That is indeed bone-crushingly ironic. Was the man's name Andy? Was he in possession of a bald pate fringed with longish hair?  And did he utter the words, "I want that one!" as he entered said public convenience?

Satch

« Reply #149 on: March 17, 2008, 09:09:18 pm »

Ok, here's another one that's been driving me nuts lately.

Pirates say "ARRR!", NOT "ARRGH!".  "ARRGH" is from the Peanuts comic strip.

I challenge you to find any instance in the classic pirate movies from the 30's and 40's where a pirate says "ARRGH!".

Tim.Lewis

• http://
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2008, 09:47:50 pm »

It's about time to mention "its"!
[span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'][span style='font-family:Geneva']Got a Mac, not going back![/span][/span]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up