Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Stop Misspelling "Losing" as "Loosing"!!!  (Read 161520 times)

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Stop Misspelling "Losing" as "Loosing"!!!
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2008, 03:37:13 pm »

To explain how ghoti=fish

gh=f - cough
o=i - women
ti=sh - station
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170014\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ah, I got the gh and ti, but missed the "o" part. As you implied earlier, this does  often depend on placing letter combinations out of their usual order, which does suggest a much stronger underlying structure to English spelling/pronunciation than people give the language credit for. For example, if I spell "cough" as queoph, most people will work that out. But what about "cheoukn"? This was the only one I could make up.
Shorn!  (adj of shear)  "che" from cache, "ou" from bought, and "kn" from knot. David

David Sutton

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2008, 03:46:56 pm »

Off tangent why are so many photographers called Jeremy or is it why are so many people called Jeremy, photographers? Only ever known a handful or two of Jeremys and only one wasn't a photographer. But that was at school and he was only 9 when I last saw him, so even he may be one by now!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170018\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Some  say it because Jeremy come from the Hebrew meaning "appointed by God". No doubt referring to the blessed state of making a living out of photography. My theory is that the name really comes from the French/Latin "jeremiad" meaning a lamentation or mournful complaint. Again referring to making a living out of photography.

Rob C

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2008, 05:08:21 pm »

Some  say it because Jeremy come from the Hebrew meaning "appointed by God". No doubt referring to the blessed state of making a living out of photography. My theory is that the name really comes from the French/Latin "jeremiad" meaning a lamentation or mournful complaint. Again referring to making a living out of photography.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170033\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Very accurate ending to that post!

Rob C

papa v2.0

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2008, 07:34:35 pm »

Hi Rob C

Which part of scotland did you live, sounds like the bit I stayed at. Where u from?

O by the way  its colour not color!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 07:39:50 pm by papa v2.0 »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2008, 03:39:46 am »

Some  say it because Jeremy come from the Hebrew meaning "appointed by God". No doubt referring to the blessed state of making a living out of photography. My theory is that the name really comes from the French/Latin "jeremiad" meaning a lamentation or mournful complaint. Again referring to making a living out of photography.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170033\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The second is slightly circular, with respect, since jeremiad is derived from the name Jeremiah, of Lamentations fame, suggesting that the name came first.

Of course, the first is a vastly preferable explanation!

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2008, 03:45:31 am »

Duh, I knew I'd do some stupid spelling error in this thread. But that's particularly dumb.   
Sod's law, I'm afraid. On any other thread it would have passed without comment (if not without notice).

The Times last week had a letter on the topic of Sod's law. It concerned a lecturer teaching his students that the rule which determines that buttered toast always falls buttered side down is better known as Sod's law. To demonstrate the rule's universal applicability, he took a piece of toast, buttered it and tossed it in the air. When it fell buttered side up, he proclaimed, "There - a perfect demonstration of Sod's law!".

Off tangent why are so many photographers called Jeremy or is it why are so many people called Jeremy, photographers? Only ever known a handful or two of Jeremys and only one wasn't a photographer. But that was at school and he was only 9 when I last saw him, so even he may be one by now!
It's just The Name To Have, I suppose.

Jeremy

blansky

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2008, 12:17:04 pm »

Since I'm Canadian, we were corrupted by both the US and Britain and can never decide how the hell things should be spelled.

A good example is X, Y, ZED in "Canadian" and X,Y, ZEE in American.

I once made fun of Brits for pronouncing aluminum as "al u MINI um" only to have it pointed out that initially the word was spelled and pronounced the Brit way and later changed in the US to the American way.

Now I keep my comments to myself and just mutter under my breath, about the bastardization of the English language by the English.

Michael

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2008, 12:39:50 pm »

At this point in time, irregardless of how you utilize it, I could care less about your English.

Rob C

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2008, 12:58:50 pm »

Not only by the English, but by everyone else who speaks it.

Okay, let me come cleanly out of the language closet here: I have no problem lapsing into faux Hollywood when speaking to particular individuals - as long as they are not much younger than I am (which probably rules out most of the people I know) at which age they would be reduced to helpless laughter. But, I really do think that colloquial and written language should be kept separate.

On the internet, in personal letters, in the press, in any form of public display (including advertising), I think that the correct forms of expression should always be used. This is not just to make me happy personally; it is very much part of an ongoing education from which all of us can benefit. How can a teacher correct a child when that same child sees incredibly poor grammar flashed across the television screen night after night, when those awful banners flash across the bottom of Sky News, for example (and yes, even the BBC news), with appalling use of language now the norm? Advertising commercials seem to be particularly prone to wilful desecration of English.

Such things are not evolutionary change since there is no need for them as the correct words already exist;  they are language vandalism.

For pet hates: misuse of to, too and two. How in hell can that challenge anybody´s capability?

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 03:27:24 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2008, 12:59:47 pm »

At this point in time, irregardless of how you utilize it, I could care less about your English.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170297\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Meaning? Please?

Rob C

Misirlou

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2008, 01:09:38 pm »

Meaning? Please?

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170303\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is very little. I was just stringing together a series of common usage errors which I find highly annoying. It would be difficult for me to choose the worst among them.

There is another example that I hate even more, but that few others will have heard. In the federal contracting community, one will sometimes hear the word "definitize," meaning to bring the details of a contract to a state of maturity just prior to its approval. I despise that "word."

Rob C

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2008, 03:38:32 pm »

There is very little. I was just stringing together a series of common usage errors which I find highly annoying. It would be difficult for me to choose the worst among them.

There is another example that I hate even more, but that few others will have heard. In the federal contracting community, one will sometimes hear the word "definitize," meaning to bring the details of a contract to a state of maturity just prior to its approval. I despise that "word."
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170307\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi - I´m really getting rather slow tonight! Thanks for clearing that up.

Something which annoys the blazes out of me happens very often on television news programmes, where the studio link says to his colleague on location: ´Just remind us, please... ´ when there is either nothing to remind us about in the first place or, worse, the viewer is being treated with contempt under the assumption that he is too dumb to understand, remember or pick up on anything about the topic in hand.

But then, that´s the way of television: it has got away with murder until now and sees no reason to think its luck will run out. A truly offensive medium. But, unfortunately, an indispensable one.

Rob C

Misirlou

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2008, 03:49:37 pm »

Something which annoys the blazes out of me happens very often on television news programmes, where the studio link says to his colleague on location: ´Just remind us, please... ´ when there is either nothing to remind us about in the first place or, worse, the viewer is being treated with contempt under the assumption that he is too dumb to understand, remember or pick up on anything about the topic in hand.

But then, that´s the way of television: it has got away with murder until now and sees no reason to think its luck will run out. A truly offensive medium. But, unfortunately, an indispensable one.

Rob C
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A few years ago, Michael Kinsley (Editor of the LA Times, I believe) wrote this very humorous column about the way US TV news people have begun speaking entirely in gerunds, probably to mimic the way headlines are typically structured in newspaper stories: [a href=\"http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-79785537.html]http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-79785537.html[/url]

I apologize if that link won't get you to the complete piece, but I have zero control over syndicated column publishers, and even less patience with them.

David Sutton

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2008, 03:58:26 pm »

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170339\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I believe you are suffering from "painter's head". I have a bad case of it as well.
When painting my ceiling white, I can no longer distinguish if any has splashed on my hair. Cheers, David

Sfleming

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2008, 04:31:42 pm »

Since I'm Canadian, we were corrupted by both the US and Britain and can never decide how the hell things should be spelled.

A good example is X, Y, ZED in "Canadian" and X,Y, ZEE in American.

I once made fun of Brits for pronouncing aluminum as "al u MINI um" only to have it pointed out that initially the word was spelled and pronounced the Brit way and later changed in the US to the American way.

Now I keep my comments to myself and just mutter under my breath, about the bastardization of the English language by the English.
Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170290\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Britain and America.  Two continents separated by a common language.

Sfleming

« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2008, 04:36:47 pm »

By way of getting back to the original topic ... This losing/loosing thing really is becoming ubiquitous.  If *I* notice it ... it must be really bad cause I'm a horrible speller.  Thank dog for nearly universal spell checkers these days.  I can't remember when to double and not double a consonant to save my soul.  Sometimes I can't even look up a word in the dictionary cause I can't even get close.  That's with Mac widget dictionary too which actually tries to help you.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2008, 04:39:35 pm »

Britain and America.  Two continents separated by a common language.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170353\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Countries, I think. We're definitely only part of a continent (the most important part, of course, but just a part  )

Jeremy

JohnKoerner

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2008, 05:51:35 pm »

There is no such word as "irregardless" either; the proper word is regardless.

And by the way, an easy way to remember the difference between "lose" and "loose" (as in "lose a bet" vs. "loose change") is the following phrase:

"Lose lost an 'o' "  

Jack

Sfleming

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2008, 06:36:02 pm »

Countries, I think. We're definitely only part of a continent (the most important part, of course, but just a part  )

Jeremy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170359\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes. Thanks.

Rob C

« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2008, 06:47:14 pm »

I believe you are suffering from "painter's head". I have a bad case of it as well.
When painting my ceiling white, I can no longer distinguish if any has splashed on my hair. Cheers, David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=170346\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Two things: you are lucky you still have hair to splash; I find it hard, when painting in white, to see where the second coat has or has not been. Strange folks, are we.

Rob C
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up