Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opening LR Folder on alternate computer  (Read 1532 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
Opening LR Folder on alternate computer
« on: January 22, 2008, 09:32:05 pm »

I have about 3500 images on an external drive that are the basis of a book project. The drive/images are divided into folders of specfic location (county names). I imported the images (which are a mix of original RAW and converted TIFFs) into a "Folder" in Lightroom. So far, so good, because now I can tag/star rate the images, etc. and eventually add them to a Collection called "Book Images".

Now the question. I get tired sitting at my desk/computer and want to be able to connect the external drive to my notebook to continue editing on my sofa. How do I keep/move the folder, catalog, database, or whatever it's called, on my external hard drive so no matter which computer I use, the tagging, key wording, metadata, etc. all stay with the drive and images, not on the computer on which I was originally working? I bought a book on Lightroom, but it's very "thin" on information dealing with Folders, etc. on multiple computers.

As a side note, I often use BreezeBrowser to edit because all tagged files are written to a text file that stays with RAW and TIFF files on the external drive. Unfortunately, none of that translates to LR or Bridge.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Nemo

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 04:01:06 am »

You move your Lightroom database.lrcat and Lightroom Database Previews.lrdata on to your external drive (drag and drop or copy). If you haven't got the General tab under preferences set to: "default catalog-prompt me when starting Lightroom", then hold down the Control key when starting Lightroom and this will bring up the dialogue. This will also show you the path to the current location of your catalogue. David

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:14:59 am »

Thanks. I'll try it today.
Pages: [1]   Go Up