Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1D MkII  (Read 1562 times)

hughhill

Canon 1D MkII
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:36:05 pm »

I have looked back 10 pages & failed to find anything relating to the 1D MkII and focusing problems so thought about mentioning it.
Has anyone experienced it? is there a work around?
On my 1Ds I have no issues but I bought a second hand 1D Mk II in excellent condition with low shutter life that has been well maintained and I am really at a loss with the focusing?
Maybe I should send it into Canon to get it tested??
Whats your views.

Much appreciated

HH

Paul Sumi

Canon 1D MkII
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 03:36:10 pm »

I've had no focusing issues with my 1D2.  Could you give some more details about how you are using the camera (sports, landscape, PJ, etc), focusing mode, and lenses used?

Are there consistent circumstances/conditions under which you have focusing problems?

Also, are you letting the camera select the focus point or are you choosing youself?

There may be back or front-focusing issues .  If you search here on these keywords, you should find simple ways to test for this.

Paul

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Canon 1D MkII
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 03:43:03 pm »

Some of the initial run of 1D-MkIII had focusing issues, and Canon is fixing under warranty. The 1D-MarkII is about as good as AF gets unless you have something out of adjustment. If you are consistently focusing in front of the subject or behind it, then you may need to have the AF calibrated by Canon, both the body and the lenses you use.

Eldor

• http://www.gemst.com/photos
Canon 1D MkII
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 04:43:09 pm »

The 1D Mark II is about as good as it gets in terms of focusing!  I just sold the last of my MkII bodies (had two) and now I have two MarkIII's.

Unless something is wrong with the body (which I guess could be the case) it should focus just about without equal.

I suggest you first try resetting everything to default - perhaps the previous owner had something set in a way that doesn't agree with your shooting style.  What kind of problems are you having?  Are you using One Shot focus mode or AI Servo?  Is your subject stationary or moving?  Which focus spot(s) are you using?  How have you got the AI Servo sensitivity set?  Are your problems in bright light or low light?  With one lens or many?  

Bottom line is that you haven't given us much to go on in your message.

Since you also shoot with a 1Ds I'm assuming this isn't some kind of user error.  The 1DII should be at least as good at focusing as your 1Ds and most of us would probably say it should be better (at least with fast action stuff).  Try resetting everything and if that fails, have the body checked by Canon.

Good luck (and please let us know the outcome)...
Pages: [1]   Go Up