Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing printer profiles in Lightroom  (Read 5576 times)

jeffok

• http://www.insightscapes.com
Missing printer profiles in Lightroom
« on: January 21, 2008, 10:04:22 pm »

After upgrading to Leopard, Lightroom 1.3.1 and Epson 3800 driver ver. 6.1, I noticed that I am missing almost all of my Epson printer profiles which no longer show up in the profile popup in the Print module. So I can't print on Epson papers. The Ilford and Moab profiles are still there and I checked the Colorsync folder where the Epson profiles are supposed to be but the profiles aren't there. I tried reinstalling the original driver that came with the 3800 but it did not install the profiles. I am guessing there is an issue with Lightroom and Leopard but has anyone had the same experience?

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 06:05:58 am »

After upgrading to Leopard, Lightroom 1.3.1 and Epson 3800 driver ver. 6.1, I noticed that I am missing almost all of my Epson printer profiles which no longer show up in the profile popup in the Print module.

Seems you completely lost these epson profiles, if there ain't any in the ColorSync folder? Can you access them via OS or Photoshop?
I searched a link to re-download profiles, and found this :
On a Mac, [the epson profiles] are tucked away in some Epson folder in a package in one of the Libraries. [...] They're not in one of the Colorsync/Profiles folders.
[...]
/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter/ICCProfiles/Pro38.profiles/Contents/Resources/
Pro38.profiles is a package; do a control-click/Reveal Package Contents to get to Contents/Resources/

Btw, I experience another problem, where some paper profiles are properly installed in the OS (WinXP for me) and do show up in PS, but not in LR.
It seems LR filters the profiles installed, in the intent to only show printer profiles, and neither color spaces nor input or screen profiles... and that sometimes filters out also some printer profiles.
Quite annoying... even if it seems another issue than yours.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

picnic

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 08:59:44 am »

It seems LR filters the profiles installed, in the intent to only show printer profiles, and neither color spaces nor input or screen profiles... and that sometimes filters out also some printer profiles.
Quite annoying... even if it seems another issue than yours.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168959\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure how it works on a Mac, but on my PC, wih many MANY profiles for 4 printers and many papers, when I click on 'other' in the Print job tab to select the profiles I want shown in that tab, I get a long list of profiles.  I agree--it does not show color spaces, but all paper profiles are there--I'm not missing any.  I'm not sure why you would want printer profiles.  I did notice that the 2200 and 1280 printer profiles are there (no 3800 printer profile however, but lots of paper choices for the 3800), but they are useless in a color managed situation--I want the profiles for the paper I've chosen to print on, not the printer profile---OR--did you mean the paper profiles for the particular printer??

Diane

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:26:50 am »

did you mean the paper profiles for the particular printer??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168976\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes I did, sorry for being not very clear... I forgot the existence of "plain printer" (not media-specific) profiles.

The most puzzling thing is that this show/hide behaviour seems really erratic...
The first "missing profile" was one for a semigloss paper , and though I could use other profiles of paper of the same brand, with very similar canned profiles, made with the same equipment/target as far as i can tell in the file properties.
A few days later, I installed another canned profile of the same brand, the latter did not show but made the former (the semigloss one) appear...      

The most rational explanation I found so far is that LR randomly sends some profiles in the twilight zone (uh, hasn't it been nicknamed "shadowland"?), but this particular twilight zone has a very limited real estate... No?
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 09:27:59 am »

Use the ColorSync utility to find the location of all profiles on a Mac (some are NOT in the ColorSync folder). In Leopard, the location of such profiles is slightly different than Tiger and earlier. For example, my 4800 profiles under Leopard are in this path:

/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter/ICCProfiles/Pro4800.profiles/Contents/Resources/

The driver software should install them in the correct location for you but check the CS utility first.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up