Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: tsiphoto has spoken  (Read 27402 times)

macgyver

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 01:12:41 pm »

I'd rather have a d300 in canon mount.

There, I said it.

DarkPenguin

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 01:41:50 pm »

At $1800?

macgyver

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 05:34:52 pm »

At $1800?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169041\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, lower is always better, but maybe.

A full frame sensor is great but things like top-end AF and weather sealing are more to my tastes. If they put out a 5d replacement that was fully sealed (not this "improved weather resistance junk" on the 40d) and had better AF I'd love it.

On the sensor note, I don't care if they put more megapixels in there, how about an increase in quality and high iso detail retention, that I'd love. The D3 shows that 1600 or 3200 doesn't have to be the limit anymore.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 05:50:54 pm »

Well, lower is always better, but maybe.

A full frame sensor is great but things like top-end AF and weather sealing are more to my tastes. If they put out a 5d replacement that was fully sealed (not this "improved weather resistance junk" on the 40d) and had better AF I'd love it.

Top end AF, weather sealed -- hmmm, I think Canon calls this the 1-D Mark III. Okay, it's $4500, but hey, it's only money.

My 1-D Mark II's are still going strong after more than three years of hard daily use. They are quick, responsive, durable, and can handle far worse weather than I am willing to shoot in. The image quality is still pretty good, too. Now all I need is about nine grand to upgrade.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

sojournerphoto

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 06:14:16 pm »

Top end AF, weather sealed -- hmmm, I think Canon calls this the 1-D Mark III. Okay, it's $4500, but hey, it's only money.

My 1-D Mark II's are still going strong after more than three years of hard daily use. They are quick, responsive, durable, and can handle far worse weather than I am willing to shoot in. The image quality is still pretty good, too. Now all I need is about nine grand to upgrade.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169082\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd noticed that 1DS3 prices were falling to something I shouldn't afford!

I like better af, more weather prrofing and some of the latest features, but I'm not sure that canon will give any short term 5D replacement enough to make the move worthwhile.

DarkPenguin

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 11:11:28 pm »

450D is announced.  Live view, bigger LCD and 12mp.

Looks like I'll be ordering that 40D.

daethon

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 11:18:36 pm »

450D is announced.  Live view, bigger LCD and 12mp.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169136\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Link?

DarkPenguin

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 11:19:50 pm »

daethon

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 11:31:48 pm »

Thanks

Well.  That...sucks.  

I have no more words...

Other than:  

I'm horribly disappointed and with the amount of time they've made the market wait, the new 5D had better be amazing when it comes out in the fall...assuming they haven't scrapped the 5D FF type line (which I can't imagine, and choose to refuse to accept into my head).

Hey...at least they had me excited and checking constantly to see if it had been released!

Ray

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 01:29:28 am »

450D is announced.  Live view, bigger LCD and 12mp.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169136\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought you were joking   . But you're right. I just checked the USA Canon site.

Improved Image Quality
At the heart of the new EOS Rebel XSi is its newly designed 12.2 megapixel APS-C size Canon CMOS sensor. This new sensor employs large microlenses over each pixel to reduce noise and enhance sensitivity up to ISO 1600, which is ideal for high-quality images in low light. The APS-C size sensor retains a 1.6x focal length conversion factor compared to full-frame digital image sensors or 35mm film format cameras.

Another image quality enhancement is the upgrade of the Analog-to-Digital (A/D) conversion process to a 14-bit A/D processor. The inclusion of the 14-bit A/D process means the Rebel XSi camera records up to 16,384 colors per channel and allows the camera to produce images with finer and more accurate gradations of tones and colors. This is ideal for shooting outdoors where subtle hue changes in sky, water or foliage can really add to an image.

The Canon EOS Rebel XSi DSLR also incorporates the optional Highlight Tone Priority and High-ISO Noise Reduction functions first introduced in 2007 with the EOS-1D Mark III Professional Digital SLR and now available for the first time in an entry level Canon digital SLR camera. Additionally, the new camera is equipped with Canon's Auto Lighting Optimizer technology, which corrects image brightness and contrast automatically. Introduced last year in the EOS 40D camera, this valuable optional feature now works in all exposure modes and utilizes Face Detection technology to prevent underexposure with backlit faces.

Why would you now be ordering the 40D?

One point in favour of a late release of the 5D upgrade is we can be more certain that the upgrade will be worthwhile. It seems to me we're getting too close to the limits of the current paradigm in Bayer type CMOS sensors. Improvements in fundamental image quality tend to be too marginal. There was a long wait between the introduction of the 1D and the 1D Mk II, but what an improvement on a number of fronts. Double the pixel count, improvement of an already fast frame rate despite the increase in pixel count and a vast improvement in high ISO noise performance.

I'm certainly not interested in a 5D with a marginal improvement in resolution (12.7 to 16mp) and a marginal improvement in low noise performance like that between the D3 and the 5D, unless the price is substantially lower than the original 5D. That makes a difference of course.

macgyver

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 08:37:48 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169082\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The d300 has the nicer AF and the pentax k10d and oly e-3 are sealed. All for under 2k.

Edit, pentax now has a sealed dslr for under $1000. Common canon, sealing is something every landscape photog can appreciate.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 03:28:10 pm by macgyver »

astanley

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 05:55:47 pm »

Just to stir things up a bit, there's an article on Elctronista that purports an EOS-3D at 15.1 megapixels along with other features.  It is supposed to be priced between the "entry level" 5D and the 1Ds mkIII.  They also claim a 5D mk II with 12.1 megapixels with 14-bit processing and some other unspecified features.

To me, their description of the 3D sounds like what I was expecting in the 5D MkII.  I'm not sure what price point such a camera would reside at given the presence of the 1D Mk III.  The features touted for the 5D mk II certainly don't justify replacing my current 5D.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169019\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Since we are all speculating... I wonder how does that fit with the 1Ds Mk II market?  They still sell it, in fact, I'm torn between buying one used and tossing a wad on L lenses or getting the III and getting a few lenses.  If they under-cut the Mk II, would they be screwing the upgrade buyers looking to roll into the Mk III by selling their current Mk II's?

Just a thought...

Cheers,

-Andrew

DarkPenguin

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 09:32:38 pm »

40D covers what I need and is available today.

Should arrive Tuesday.

I thought you were joking   . But you're right. I just checked the USA Canon site.
Why would you now be ordering the 40D?

Ray

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2008, 03:30:03 am »

40D covers what I need and is available today.

Should arrive Tuesday.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169388\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fair enough! But I can't help getting the impression Canon has complicated the decision making process with the introduction of the 450D. It's seems to have some desirable features which the 40D lacks.

I've probably overlooked a few features but the only substantive feature I see in the 40D which could make a difference to the shots you take is the faster continuous frame rate. The 40D would be a better choice for action shots where the precise split second makes or breaks the picture.

On the other hand, the 450D has at least a couple of additional features which could contribute to the taking of a better picture. At least they are features that I would find useful.

(1) 12mp versus 10MP. Not an issue for someone who already has a 10MP DSLR, but for someone coming from a 350D, 20D or 30D, a 50% increase in pixel count has to be noticeable, using a good lens.

(2) Exposure compensation and autobracketing of +/- 3 stops. This is very useful for HDR shots of really high contrast scenes. A 4 stop difference is sometimes not enough. 6 stops should take care of almost any situation. Try taking a series of 3 shots with a  total of 6 stops interval, without a tripod, for merging to HDR, with the 40D. Even with a tripod it's going to be a slower and more cumbersome procedure.

(3) Exposure compensation of +/- 3 stops is also useful for a technique of achieving accurate ETTR using the spot meter mode, which the 450 also has. I learned this technique from Dale Cotton.

Take a spot meter reading of the brightest part of the image in AV mode, fix the exposure with that star button on the back of the camera, then increase exposure by 3 stops using the big wheel, and recompose the scene. Voila! Perfect ETTR!

(4) A big disappointment with the 40D is the fact it doesn't do autofocus at maximum apertures of f8. For all its claims of more accurate and faster focussing, this doesn't translate to better focussing at f8, so it's disabled.

The 450D, however, has (apparently) a very accurate, albeit slow, contrast detection autofocussing in LiveView mode. I imagine this would probably work at f8 and be an advantage for those who use the Canon 100-400 IS lens with 1.4x TC.

The downside of no ISO 3200 is not serious because ISO 3200 is just an in-camera boost which is no different from ISO 1600 underexposed one stop, if shooting RAW.

The incompatibility of memory cards and battery with other Canon DSLRs represents an unfortunate additional expense, though. Probably fine for the P&S crowd who already own a few SD cards, but for many of us the cost of a couple of high capacity SD cards and a spare battery bring the cost of the 450D up to the level of the 40D.

mahleu

• 500px
tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 04:11:17 am »

I've probably overlooked a few features but the only substantive feature I see in the 40D which could make a difference to the shots you take is the faster continuous frame rate. The 40D would be a better choice for action shots where the precise split second makes or breaks the picture.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169672\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

-It has a thumbwheel on the back which makes a world of difference
-It takes proper sized batteries so if your main camera is a 5D you can share
-It's built solidly and has a bit of arbitrary weather sealing
-Every 2nd person on the street doesn't have one

bing

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2008, 05:08:26 am »

The 5D replacement needs to be something special to keep me a Canon user in the future.... nikon have a lot of features that i think should almost  be standard on a digital camera Multiple exposure,overlay mode, and as Michael has repeatedly asked for a mirror lock button.
Canon have many lenses now that need resolution improvements including the Tilt & Shift range.... it's the T&S lenses that are at the moment keeping me Canon, if Nikon had a good range of these lenses it would be an easy decision to change. P.S meant to say that dual media storage would be good... but the same type of card... SD or CF its good to know you have an instant back up,once in lifetime shots and if someone is paying you!
Fingers crossed for us all.

Ray

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2008, 05:19:43 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169676\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I didn't overlook that feature. Read my post more carefully   .
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 05:22:23 am by Ray »

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2008, 09:04:46 am »

meant to say that dual media storage would be good... but the same type of card... SD or CF its good to know you have an instant back up,once in lifetime shots and if someone is paying you!

Ever heard of a Compact Flash to SD adapter. It is possible to have 2 SD cards installed in a Canon...

DarkPenguin

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2008, 10:59:16 am »

-It has a thumbwheel on the back which makes a world of difference
The 400D controls are really pretty good.  I didn't miss the 20D's wheel much while using them.  Provided the 450D doesn't screw that up it should be pretty good, too.

That said, the controls are better on the 40D.

I wish it took the G9 (or 400D) battery.  The 40D doesn't use the same batteries as my G9 so I can't share them with the main camera I'd be using with it.

-It's built solidly and has a bit of arbitrary weather sealing
I don't believe this.  I think it looks like it is built more solidly.  My old 300D and my 400D took far more abuse than my 20D did.  My 20D split its seams at the first opportunity.  Any weather sealing would be nice but I've never had a camera fail in the rain.  (20D did fail in the cold.  And it wasn't the battery.)  I have rain gear now so it shouldn't be an issue.

Did they seal anything other than the cf and batter doors?

-Every 2nd person on the street doesn't have one

I think the rant I just typed on this one was therapeutic.

mahleu

• 500px
tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2008, 11:22:28 am »

I don't believe this.  I think it looks like it is built more solidly.  My old 300D and my 400D took far more abuse than my 20D did.  My 20D split its seams at the first opportunity.  Any weather sealing would be nice but I've never had a camera fail in the rain.  (20D did fail in the cold.  And it wasn't the battery.)  I have rain gear now so it shouldn't be an issue.

It's a metal body rather than plastic. My old 350d took a huge amount of abuse, but i'd still rather have metal over plastic

Did they seal anything other than the cf and batter doors?
I think the rant I just typed on this one was therapeutic.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169732\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nope, although it's a start. I'd rather have the flash, shutter button and control dials sealed, they're the things that the rain hits first.