Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: tsiphoto has spoken  (Read 27405 times)

DarkPenguin

tsiphoto has spoken
« on: January 21, 2008, 08:19:53 pm »

tsiphoto breaks the news.  no 5d replacement at pma

tsiphoto is like a groundhog.  He sticks his head up every 6 months and calls the canon announcements.

This simplifies my new camera decision tree.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 01:07:13 am »

tsiphoto breaks the news.  no 5d replacement at pma

tsiphoto is like a groundhog.  He sticks his head up every 6 months and calls the canon announcements.

This simplifies my new camera decision tree.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168673\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah that's right because just how many 1DsIII bodies would they sell if there were a new 5D at half the price?
Rolleiflex USA

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 01:46:09 am »

Maybe it's true or not, but the 5D is now going for $2100. @ B&H and less at other venues.
We'll find out in about 6 days.

DarkPenguin

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 09:26:58 am »

The 24th is the expected day for canon announcements.

tgphoto

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 10:08:31 am »

I think whatever replaces the 5D would have to be pretty spectacular to justify a $3000 price tag.

The 5D at $2100 right now is the best deal going for full frame 35mm digital.  Is 14-bit RAW worth an extra grand?  Live View? Digic III?

The other question is, can Canon introduce a 5D replacement at the same pricepoint as the original 5D?  It seems that to compete with Nikon's D300 and D3, Canon would need to find a balance between features and price...a 5D replacement at $2000 might be enough to get the fence sitters to choose Canon over a D300, but at $3000, wouldn't the D3 with its 51 point AF and weather seals make Nikon more attractive?

The end of the month will be interesting to say the very least.

picnic

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:27:31 am »

I think whatever replaces the 5D would have to be pretty spectacular to justify a $3000 price tag.

The 5D at $2100 right now is the best deal going for full frame 35mm digital.  Is 14-bit RAW worth an extra grand?  Live View? Digic III?

The other question is, can Canon introduce a 5D replacement at the same pricepoint as the original 5D?  It seems that to compete with Nikon's D300 and D3, Canon would need to find a balance between features and price...a 5D replacement at $2000 might be enough to get the fence sitters to choose Canon over a D300, but at $3000, wouldn't the D3 with its 51 point AF and weather seals make Nikon more attractive?

The end of the month will be interesting to say the very least.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168782\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also have wondered how many 5D owners will feel the need to upgrade at this point.  I know I won't.  Even if its 'spectacular'---for many of our needs (even wants), our current 5D is sufficient.  Yes, there are things I would like---but I'd rather spend the money on photo related things than a new body.  There will always be those that will upgrade for the newest/greatest and for some others, some things may be a priority and push them to upgrade.  However, I'm betting that IF something is introduced, it will be more important to Canon at this point to appeal to new buyers or upgraders from cropped bodies.

I've seen tsiphoto's predictions before and they are usually pretty doggone close.

Diane
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 10:29:27 am by picnic »

Let Biogons be Biogons

• http://
tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:43:07 am »

I also have wondered how many 5D owners will feel the need to upgrade at this point.  I know I won't.  Even if its 'spectacular'---for many of our needs (even wants), our current 5D is sufficient.  [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168785\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think that a lot of people complaining about the IQ of the 5D.  It those limited terms it is still competitive -- even with the D3.  I think however, there are a lot of convenience, useability and build-quality aspects that need to be addressed.  It is far from a perfect camera.  A lot of the things perple are looking for in the replacement will make the camera more flexible, more accurate, and easier to use in multiple situations.    I curse mine every time I use it and would certainly welcome a replacement that addresses some of it's failings -- even if we don't get more MP.  

It will necessarily be updated sooner or later to capture production efficiencies with other more recent models.  As many of the models share parts, the older partsin the 5D might not longer be produced or might be more expensive to produce them just for the 5D.

DarkPenguin

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 11:02:26 am »

I want live view and the 40D's auto focus.

And at $3k a new camera would come pretty darn close to the D3 in performance, even if it didn't improve on the 5D, for 40% less.  At the price of just the D3 one could buy a $3k Canon and 24-104 and 70-200 f4 IS.  Depending on the bundles you might even be able to pull off a 17-40L for the 17-200 f4 trifecta.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 11:03:14 am by DarkPenguin »

Satch

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 11:04:38 am »

Yeah that's right because just how many 1DsIII bodies would they sell if there were a new 5D at half the price?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168720\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly--a 16mp 5d form factor body at around $3000 is to me a dream camera, and will probably become the biggest selling Canon of all time.  Maybe image quality won't be that much better, but 16mp for cropping, especially if you shoot "4x5", is a huge plus.

Let Biogons be Biogons

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 11:32:06 am »

Exactly--a 16mp 5d form factor body at around $3000 is to me a dream camera, and will probably become the biggest selling Canon of all time. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168789\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually it won't be by a long shot.  It would hard for it to sell more than one of the entry-level XT's (Digital Rebels).

Satch

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 01:10:54 pm »

Actually it won't be by a long shot.  It would hard for it to sell more than one of the entry-level XT's (Digital Rebels).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168792\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Duhhhh.  We're talking FF of course.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 01:49:11 pm »

FWIW, One more, I have a friend story. Big deal right? I know, but my colleague, who works directly with Canon USA CEO on some educational projects, has never been wrong before. Source was bang on for 40D and MKIII. CEO said in Sept. that new 16mp, 14 bit processor, 5D would be out in February. Things may have changed since then given the fierce competition from Nikon, but.......
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Craig Arnold

• Craig Arnold's Photography
tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 02:51:40 pm »

I think however, there are a lot of convenience, useability and build-quality aspects that need to be addressed.  It is far from a perfect camera.  A lot of the things perple are looking for in the replacement will make the camera more flexible, more accurate, and easier to use in multiple situations.    I curse mine every time I use it and would certainly welcome a replacement that addresses some of it's failings -- even if we don't get more MP. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168786\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Strangely enough I don't have any issues with the 5D body at all.

I suppose the AF could be a bit better, but the whole 45-51 point business covering the same area as the 5D's 9/15 points seems rather pointless unless you're using AIServo to track moving stuff. Important if you need it but I could care less.

What I'd like is 5 high precision AF points, one in the centre and at each of the rule of thirds junctions with a quick select using the joystick.

I am also apparently one of the few photographers worldwide who doesn't use his camera in extreme weather conditions. The occasional bit of soft rain hasn't bothered my 5D at all. But the hue and cry over weather sealing completely amazes me.

I could care less about the LCD - all I want it for is the menu and checking the histogram anyway. How about making the viewfinder brighter and bigger and show ISO.

Not bothered about anti-dust. I haven't had to wet-clean my 5D sensor yet in a year of ownership, the odd blast with a rocket blower has been fine.

Not bothered about high fps. 3 is fine. I have occasionally hit the end of the buffer but I'm using a pretty slow CF card.

I would hate a built-in vertical grip, bigger batteries, etc.

Actually a camera with a next-gen FF sensor, in as small and light a body as possible (plastic is fine), basic but good 5-point AF, and a state of the art next gen sensor with even less noise and better DR than the 5D. More megapixels would be OK but not necessary.  

In other words to heck with the feature list. Concentrate on IQ in as light and small a body as possible. It's not even a price issue particularly. How about the 1DsMkIII sensor with a single Digic III chip?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 02:53:24 pm by peripatetic »

Let Biogons be Biogons

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 03:35:02 pm »

Strangely enough I don't have any issues with the 5D body at all.

I suppose the AF could be a bit better, but the whole 45-51 point business covering the same area as the 5D's 9/15 points seems rather pointless unless you're using AIServo to track moving stuff. Important if you need it but I could care less.

What I'd like is 5 high precision AF points, one in the centre and at each of the rule of thirds junctions with a quick select using the joystick.

I am also apparently one of the few photographers worldwide who doesn't use his camera in extreme weather conditions. The occasional bit of soft rain hasn't bothered my 5D at all. But the hue and cry over weather sealing completely amazes me.

I could care less about the LCD - all I want it for is the menu and checking the histogram anyway. How about making the viewfinder brighter and bigger and show ISO.

Not bothered about anti-dust. I haven't had to wet-clean my 5D sensor yet in a year of ownership, the odd blast with a rocket blower has been fine.

Not bothered about high fps. 3 is fine. I have occasionally hit the end of the buffer but I'm using a pretty slow CF card.

I would hate a built-in vertical grip, bigger batteries, etc.

Actually a camera with a next-gen FF sensor, in as small and light a body as possible (plastic is fine), basic but good 5-point AF, and a state of the art next gen sensor with even less noise and better DR than the 5D. More megapixels would be OK but not necessary. 

In other words to heck with the feature list. Concentrate on IQ in as light and small a body as possible. It's not even a price issue particularly. How about the 1DsMkIII sensor with a single Digic III chip?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168836\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, you named many, if not most, of the things that I would like to see.  I most definitely agree that we DO NOT need a built-in vertical grip or bigger batteries.  That would be about the worst thing they could do to it.  So we really are not all that far apart on this.   I guess I just hate living with it the way it is.  I would upgrade just to get these changes and improvements.

sojournerphoto

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 03:40:08 pm »

Well, you named many, if not most, of the things that I would like to see.  I most definitely agree that we DO NOT need a built-in vertical grip or bigger batteries.  That would be about the worst thing they could do to it.  So we really are not all that far apart on this.   I guess I just hate living with it the way it is.  I would upgrade just to get these changes and improvements.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168841\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And please can I have 100% viewfinder with my 1Ds3 chip.

espressogeek

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 11:57:49 pm »

Yes give me more DR, 14 or 16 bit, AF adjustment and no AA filter. That is all that would take for me to get one.

Craig Arnold

• Craig Arnold's Photography
tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 02:46:33 am »

Ah yes the AF adjustment is one thing I would really like. Just to be able to tweak things a bit without having to send the whole lot in for calibration.

Snook

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 08:06:02 am »

Ah yes the AF adjustment is one thing I would really like. Just to be able to tweak things a bit without having to send the whole lot in for calibration.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168940\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Dream dream dream dream dreeeeam.... Sorry if that was out of tune I cannot sing very well..:+}
Snook

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 08:24:12 am »

I took a long, hard look at the 5D last month. The price with a 24-105 was getting down below $2800, which is a sweet deal. (Given the $1000 price of the lens by itself, the body was going for well under two grand.) I would like a FF body to go with my 1-D2 bodies, and I don't really need the rugged build of the 1Ds series for this camera.

Then I went and bought a 40D instead. The improvements in the body are significant, the price is reasonable, and the image quality rivals my 1D2 bodies, and surpasses it at high ISOs. I'm not a huge fan of the cropped-sensor cameras, but the 40D is a nice little carry-around camera.

Now I can wait for a 5D replacement with a smile on my face. And for once I bought a camera at the beginning of the life cycle, not at the end. (I have a history of buying a few weeks before the new model is announced.)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

David White

tsiphoto has spoken
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 11:49:52 am »

Just to stir things up a bit, there's an article on Elctronista that purports an EOS-3D at 15.1 megapixels along with other features.  It is supposed to be priced between the "entry level" 5D and the 1Ds mkIII.  They also claim a 5D mk II with 12.1 megapixels with 14-bit processing and some other unspecified features.

To me, their description of the 3D sounds like what I was expecting in the 5D MkII.  I'm not sure what price point such a camera would reside at given the presence of the 1D Mk III.  The features touted for the 5D mk II certainly don't justify replacing my current 5D.
David White
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up