Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPF6100 16 bit driver support for Win XP x64  (Read 3089 times)

shewhorn

• http://
IPF6100 16 bit driver support for Win XP x64
« on: January 21, 2008, 03:59:42 am »

If there's any XP x64 users out there who'd like to use the 16 bit driver for CS3, I just wrote a quick article (as well as vented a bit) on how to get around the installer's error. Simple trick really and in this case it worked:

http://www.phototechblog.com/2008/01/21/ca...s-xp-x64-users/

Cheers, Joe

John Hollenberg

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 01:08:47 pm »

Joe,

I don't have XP 64, but your description is less than clear to me.  First of all, it would be better to label the "16 bit driver" correctly as the Photoshop plugin (I assume that is what you are referring to).  There is a workaround already described on the Canon iPF Wiki for installing the CS3 plugin under Win XP 64, but it is for the Canon iPF5000 (I note that you have the iPF6100).  I am not sure if your method is different, or if both methods would apply to both printers.

From your description:

Download the driver named “iPF6100_Driver_WinXP_Server_Vista_x64_Ver3.92.zip”
Extract the archive.
Once extracted find the “setup.exe” file, right click on it, and select “properties”
Click on the Compatibility Tab
Under compatibility mode click on the “run this program in compatibility mode for” check box.
In the pulldown menu select “Windows XP”
Click OK.
Double Click Setup.
Install the CS3 driver (or the driver of your liking).

Are you saying that the driver version 3.92 would not install under Win XP 64, unless you made this change?  Note that this is OS level driver (8 bits), not the plugin.  I assume you have to install this driver first before installing the CS3 plugin?

Thanks in advance for your help in clarifying this process.  I am sure it will be helpful to Wiki members and other Canon owners.

--John

shewhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 04:39:10 pm »

Joe,

I don't have XP 64, but your description is less than clear to me.  First of all, it would be better to label the "16 bit driver" correctly as the Photoshop plugin (I assume that is what you are referring to).  There is a workaround already described on the Canon iPF Wiki for installing the CS3 plugin under Win XP 64, but it is for the Canon iPF5000

Hi John... I'll double check the file to download... thanks for the heads up. It was a late night last night. I initially searched for a method to use the PS plugin under XP x64 on the Wiki but didn't find anything... I was probably searching for a combo of 6100, etc. which may be why I never got a hit on it.

Cheers, Joe

jpgentry

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 05:03:48 pm »

I have the ipf9100 and the driver I downloaded from the website installed without a hitch on Vista 64.  These 64 bit operating systems are increasingly important as file sizes increase.  I now deal with files as large as 700MB or bigger and need more than the 4GB limit XP32 or Vista32 allows.

-Jonathan

John Hollenberg

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 05:49:42 pm »

Hi John... I'll double check the file to download... thanks for the heads up. It was a late night last night. I initially searched for a method to use the PS plugin under XP x64 on the Wiki but didn't find anything... I was probably searching for a combo of 6100, etc. which may be why I never got a hit on it.

I should have included the link to the Latest Drivers page:

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/Latest+Driv...e+and+Utilities

Again, not having a 64 bit OS I can't really check and see what works here :-)

--John

shewhorn

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 02:30:49 am »

John,

I updated my link to the 3.01 plug-in driver.

Cheers, Joe

shewhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 02:48:20 am »

I have the ipf9100 and the driver I downloaded from the website installed without a hitch on Vista 64.

Yeah, it's strange that Canon doesn't support XP x64 when (as far as I know) the build produced for the Vista x64 and Server 2003 drivers support all three.

These 64 bit operating systems are increasingly important as file sizes increase.  I now deal with files as large as 700MB or bigger and need more than the 4GB limit XP32 or Vista32 allows.

I completely agree and the fact that both Canon and Microsoft are so lax with their motivation to support 64 bit OSes is absolutely mind numbing. CANON of all people should take this seriously. The fact that they don't support XP x64 at least for their 1 series cameras is unforgivable. Even though Photoshop is a 32 bit application is DOES take advantage of having more than 4 gigs of RAM (in a 64 bit OS like OSX, Win XP x64 or Vista x64 it will use 3.25 gigs for itself and then it can allocate up to another 2 gigs of RAM to use as a scratch disk before it starts hitting up mechanical media and this has some obvious advantages if you're working on large files). That and the fact that even though PS is still only a 32 bit app.... if you're editing a large, stitched 16 bit panorama... those files get BIG and they will use ALL of the RAM allocated to PS. In a 32 bit OS that doesn't leave you enough room to run the OS, Bridge, and email app and a browser without making the machine hit the swap space.

Fortunately support looks to be a little better with Vista 64 (although Vista has other issues). Unfortunately Microsoft totally dropped the ball with Vista. Vista should have been ONLY a 64 bit OS. No 32 bit support. Let's face it... someone who can tolerate running a machine with a processor that doesn't support 64 bits (I'm not saying 64 bits is a requirement, just chronologically, processors that are still 32 bits are a little long in the tooth at this point in time) is NOT going to upgrade to either version of Vista (and even if they wanted to, hardware that old probably wouldn't support Vista anyway so it's a moot point).

Microsoft had a really opportunity to force some progress in the industry but instead... bah. And what's up with home, pro, ultimate, semi-pro, penultimate amateur aspiring pro, and Vista "my first OS" versions? Freakin' idiots. TWO VERSIONS people... Vista (which should have been 64 bits) and Vista Server. That's it. TWO versions. $125 for the regular version and whatever they want to charge for the server version.

Cheers, Joe

shewhorn

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 02:51:50 am »

Are you saying that the driver version 3.92 would not install under Win XP 64, unless you made this change?  Note that this is OS level driver (8 bits), not the plugin.

Unfortunately my x64 machine is down at the moment but my problems were with the CS3 plug-in. I do remember having to jump through several hoops to install the correct 8 bit driver software for x64 (ultimately ended up getting it all from the Euro site). With the CS3 plug-in however, yes, I do have to change the compatibility mode in order to get it to run.

Cheers, Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up