Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Question  (Read 2358 times)

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Lightroom Question
« on: January 20, 2008, 06:20:54 pm »

My workflow to date involves creating a child  directory (which contains the processed files) to the parent (which contains the RAW files).  When I open the parent in the Library, all the children are displayed in the grid view along with the raw parents.  Is there any way to exclude children from a parent's grid display?

I could change, I guess, and create a parall directory - with a different name, eg: 20080113_hamilton for the raws and 20080113_hamilton_processed for the processed files, but I'd rather keep a parent child structure.

Thanks.

Roy

• http://
Lightroom Question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 07:28:19 pm »

Is there any way to exclude children from a parent's grid display?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168456\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Click Library, deselect Include Photos from Subitems.
Roy

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Lightroom Question
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 07:56:51 pm »

This was how I was working as well -  but I found working with 'Stacks' easier than having directories in side of directories.

That is instead of having a folder hierachy like this:

"01-01-2008-White Plains"

With sub folders inside it  'Completed', 'Completed Print'

Have just one folder "01-01-2008-White Plains", which contains the RAW files as well as any completed Tiffs and Print files - then stack the complete and tiffs with the RAW's. So a stack may contain the original RAW, a complete Tiff and a complete Print Tiff.

That way the duplicates are hidden in a stack but are easily accessed if you need them.

Just a thought.. everyones different and this is working for me to date.

Edit - forgot to add.. unfortunately [are you listening lightroom engineers?] its not possible to stack photos in different directories.. so you cant have the best of both worlds...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 08:01:26 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Roy

• http://
Lightroom Question
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 08:42:20 pm »

Edit - forgot to add.. unfortunately [are you listening lightroom engineers?] its not possible to stack photos in different directories.. so you cant have the best of both worlds...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168470\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Let me make sure I understand: in a folder-based view, you want to be able to stack files from different folders? That's not possible, would pervert the underlying logic, and would totally confuse users.

If you wish to display and stack images from various folders, create a collection.
Roy

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Lightroom Question
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 08:50:00 pm »

Yes I know its not possible currently to stack images from different folders. However, I thought it would be quite good to have this functionality. *shrug* each to their own. I find stacks really intuitive and easy to use - I dont think it would necessarily be confusing to a have a stack of images that comprised of images from different folders. Since they are 'virtual' stacks - its not necessary to actually move any file to be part of the stack.

Yeah a collection is another way to do it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 08:52:17 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up