Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recycling Ink Cartridges - any 'best practices'?  (Read 5109 times)

shutterworks

Recycling Ink Cartridges - any 'best practices'?
« on: January 20, 2008, 04:45:14 pm »

What is everyone's opinion on the best way to get rid of the empty cartridges?

1) Trash can - NO WAY!
2) Local recycler - better than trash... maybe? Where do they go?
3) Companies that make this a specific part of their business... refill the cartridges and sell. Maybe even pay for empties? Any companies anyone knows of?
4) Share with friends... really! I only use OEM, but there are a lot of folks that refill or can use the chips... anyone want some?

Just curious, and looking before getting rid of them. And don't keep it specific to Epson although that's my need.

Rick
RJ in Minnesota...

dkeyes

• http://
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 07:58:16 pm »

I also would like to know where to recycle my HP z3100 cartridges as well. When I purchase HP cartridges for my small desktop printer, they come with a self mailer to send them back to HP for recycling. I wonder why they don't do this for the "pro" cartridges?
Thanks, Doug

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 08:45:18 pm »

Maybe the ink should come in the little silver bags which you could reinsert into the cart. Sustainable is an ugly word for many big companies, but that will sooner or later have to change.
Anybody remember when you returned empty milk bottles in exchange for full ones?

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 12:28:33 am »

I typed 'recycle printer cartridge' into Google and came up with 56K results.  There are groups that collect smaller cartridges for charities... maybe they'll take the larger ones as well.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=recycl...le+Search&meta=

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 01:29:26 am »

I've had a couple of conversations with Epson about the recycling of their cartridges and to my disappointment they have no corporate program for recycling, even after putting cartridges in landfills for nine years or so. They have been "studying" the problem for over TWO years. Yes, folks, they've been studying the situation for over two years and so far have only come to the conclusion that it might be too expensive. When I pointed out just how much they're charging us for ink, they didn't quite see the point. For all I know, they're going to keep "studying" until we all forget about it. As far as I'm concerned, it's part of their corporate duty to have a program, but they apparently don't really care. BTW, where I live, in southern Ca. you can only recycle plastics that are marked with the type of plastic contained, and that last time I checked, none of my Epson carts were so marked. If enough people write letters it might make a difference.

Slaughter

• http://
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 04:11:51 am »

As for Epson, they recently changed the way their ink cartridges are packed (at least in Switzerland where I live): now instead of using paper for their package, their use Polypropylen (PP). So now, instead of recycling the whole package in the paper recycling trash, I have to throw the whole stuff in the "general" (read: "not recycled") trash. Event the container (the package) is no longer recycled now. What a garbage! I really doubt that Epson has any concerns for ecological recycling...

_michel m.

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 06:44:45 am »

If this is really the case then I suggest mailing  them FREEPOST or whatever your national equivalent is, direct to the national HQ.  If you could co-ordinate online with others to have them deluged with ink carts on the same day each - say month, it will only bring more irritation - and hence pressure to bare.

shutterworks

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 12:00:08 am »

Since I asked the initial question I've done some digging around. Most of the general recycling groups don't take, or even know about the Pro type cartridges. Some will take them back and incinerate them, which I guess is better than throwing them in the landfill, but burning them just takes more energy.

Back to the initial question... what are YOU doing with your empty carts... and not just the Epson users. There have to be many thousands of these empty carts out there.
RJ in Minnesota...

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 12:01:20 am »

Here in the U.S. Epson seems to have gone slightly greener with their packaging, with the box and the liner bag being fully recyclable. I love the idea of flooding their offices with cartridges and I'm amassing quite a collection that I'm willing to personally deliver to their U.S. headquarters here in L.A. Maybe this will be the start of something that should have started al long time ago.

Sven W

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 12:35:16 pm »

According to Epsons rep here in Sweden, they are going to launch a "green" line later this spring.
And that was about refilling for pro-users.
/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

rdonson

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 01:58:15 pm »

Since I asked the initial question I've done some digging around. Most of the general recycling groups don't take, or even know about the Pro type cartridges. Some will take them back and incinerate them, which I guess is better than throwing them in the landfill, but burning them just takes more energy.

Back to the initial question... what are YOU doing with your empty carts... and not just the Epson users. There have to be many thousands of these empty carts out there.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168711\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've got an Epson 2200 and HP Z3100.  So far I've just got a bag of empty cartridges that I haven't figured out what to do with.  If crushed they don't take up much room in the landfill but that somehow feels wrong so I've just hung on to them for the time being.  At some point the bag will become burdensome and I'll have to deal with it.
Regards,
Ron

framah

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 03:27:06 pm »

I've seen in the Post Office a display from a company who recycles empty carts. There are p[lastic mailing bags in the display to mail them. Check that out.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 06:08:17 pm »

Looking at the Epson site - see "News" I found this...

looks like it is legal for 3rd party vendors (like Cone, et.al.) to refill original Epson carts as long as the cart was originally sold in the U.S. market.  
Is there now a 'market' for empty used Epson carts? - that would certainly resolve my growing collection of Epson carts from various printers - and maybe save us all some $.  Hopefully, some 'class' vendors  who market quality inks will see the potential here - and do something creative.

"The General Exclusion Order and Cease and Desist Orders do not bar imports or resale of non-infringing cartridges, like non-infringing refilled cartridges. Resellers should be cautious, however, to avoid liability by noting the following legal parameters:

1. Refilling an infringing cartridge, like an infringing aftermarket cartridge, still results in another infringing cartridge.
   2. Refilled cartridges that were Epson branded cartridges must have been first sold by Epson to consumers in the United States. A "first sale" exception to patent law allows the resale of refilled patented devices that were first sold in the United States by the patent holder. Cartridges that were first sold by Epson to consumers outside the United States and refilled by a third party still infringe Epson's patents. Epson officials have observed that some suppliers commingle cartridges first sold by Epson in the United States with cartridges first sold to consumers outside the United States in identical packaging, so resellers cannot reliably avoid liability for patent infringement.
   3. The refilling process must be limited to legally permissible repair to restore the cartridge to usable condition, but the cartridges cannot be completely reconstructed. Legally permissible repair includes refilling the ink, resetting the IC chip, removing or covering Epson labels, and repackaging.
   4. Refilled cartridges must be prominently described at point of sale and on packaging as "refilled" or "remanufactured." Any Epson trademarks must be removed so consumers cannot be misled into believing that the cartridges were refilled or approved by Epson.
Pages: [1]   Go Up