Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A stupid question  (Read 3367 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
A stupid question
« on: January 19, 2008, 10:18:14 am »

Two H3Ds kits in seemingly excellent condition have been sitting on eBay for nearly 2 months at less than 18.000 US$. They are sold by a seller called Kurland Photo.

What's the catch?

Cheers,
Bernard

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
A stupid question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 11:11:01 am »

No catch besides the fact that people obviously find it too much for the kit. Calumet has been selling H3D39's on Ebay the last couple of months that typically went for less than that.

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
A stupid question
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 11:13:13 am »

The H3D-39 listed by Kurland looks pretty abused.  Condition 8+ --look at the photos.  If i were investing this much money, would you not be concerned about how this camera had been treated.

No catch besides the fact that people obviously find it too much for the kit. Calumet has been selling H3D39's on Ebay the last couple of months that typically went for less than that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168169\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
A stupid question
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 11:25:58 am »

They have more than just 1 for sale. The one you are referring to indeed has been used and they state it as being in condition 8 however the other ones they have for sale are also listed for a longer period of time and they are either 9+, new or in like-new condition.

NicholasR

A stupid question
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 11:27:44 am »

Two H3Ds kits in seemingly excellent condition have been sitting on eBay for nearly 2 months at less than 18.000 US$. They are sold by a seller called Kurland Photo.

What's the catch?

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168155\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No catch.

I purchased one   .  Actually mine was more like 19k refurbished with 6mo warrantee.

Eliot at Kurland Photo is a nice guy, very responsive, and has been on top of it with suport.  Camera was in my hand on the other coast the day after I ordered it.

The one thats been sitting on there for a while in bad condition really does look a bit beat up, and I wonder about it.  I think with an item this expensive, having at least an initial warrantee (like the refurbs do) is worth it.

I didn't realize the Calumet H3Ds went cheaper.  I try to stay off Ebay for my financial health.  I did just pick up an ex-rental 28mm from calumet though.  The lens appeared to have never been taken out of its packaging.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 11:33:36 am by NicholasR »

John_Black

• http://www.pebbleplace.com
A stupid question
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 12:12:52 pm »

Steve Hendrix at PPR had a healthy list of Hass refurbs a couple months ago.  In comparison the nes offered by Kurland seem about 10-15% higher than those offered by Steve.  Steve's were factory fresh refurb's, so that sounded more reassuring to me.  It's been 2-3 months, so I'm sure they sold most of them by now, but it's still worth checking in with Steve.  Pretty soon we'll be seeing deals on the H3DII's!  

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
A stupid question
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 03:27:20 am »

I've bought some things from Kurland in the past.  Recently I bought a 180mm lens and noticed that he still had a 180mm for sale on ebay.  To my surprise it was the lens I have sitting in my studio.  Same serial number etc.  Then I found that another lens that I bought from someone else on ebay was listed in his auctions.  So I called him and told him.  He say yeah we have several and I sold the one to the guy that you bought it from.  Okay so why do you still have the pictures up of my lenses on your auctions I asked him?  Oh we have several of the same lens he said. Later they did write a small note on the item that the serial number of the actual lens was different  so if you were quick you'd figure out that the item being sold was not pictured but if you were not paying attention you wouldn't.  I see that he's re-listed the same lens again after it didn't sell and kept the pictures of my lens up but this time also wrote that the item being sold had the same serial number as the one in the picture and the one on my lens (not the one he's selling).  Hmm...  Okay first time maybe an honest mistake, but second time around?  And with more than one lens?     Like I said, I've bought things from him before and been happy but to me it was worrisome that he had been informed and didn't change things.
Rolleiflex USA

jimgolden

• http://
A stupid question
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 11:46:05 am »

I see stuff from Kurland all the time, and it all seems to be at  premium. They had an H1 kit that seemed rather expensive as well. I think it was $6k?!?

Steve @ PPR has the best deals w/ the best service...

Mike Chini

A stupid question
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 01:17:27 pm »

Yeah.  Steve has quoted me some very good prices on mfdb's.  He seems great to work with.  I'm just waiting for Photokina to pan out.

Bernd B.

A stupid question
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 10:01:29 am »

I payed 20.988,- USD for my H3D with 1.600 actuations only, HC80, HDX90 finder, two accu grips and a 1GB CF card. At Calumet Ebay. The camera is fine so far. Like new.

Bernd
Pages: [1]   Go Up