Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf AFi Update  (Read 7000 times)

j.miller

Leaf AFi Update
« on: January 18, 2008, 09:29:39 pm »

I figured I would take this opportunity to give everyone some real world, US-based info on the newly released Leaf AFi 7 camera. We have taken delivery of several of our demo units, and even been lucky enough to deliver a few to customers!

I will not go into every detail of the camera just yet, as that will be better left for a later date where there is more time and practical experience to consider.

Some major points of interest:

- Lenses
For the those long-time Rollei users this will not be much of a suprise. But coming from some one who has had limited practical experience with the entire 600X-Series Rollei cameras, I am quite impressed by the Schneider AFD PQ/s lenses. We have taken delivery of the 80mm f/2.8 AFD PQs, the 50mm f/2.8 AFD HFT PQs, and the AFD PQ 180mm f/2.8. All three appear to be stellar lenses, with super-responsive auto focus, and razor sharp clarity. Not to mention manual-focus operation is quite nice as well, with the lens barrels being slightly over-sized, allowing for greater throw of the focusing ring. It is exciting to see some faster aperture lenses up through 180mm! I am looking forward to the rest of the AFD line performing as well as these do. I am planning to try to the Rollei 55mm f/4.5 PCS just as soon as our demo unit comes back from service.

- Prism / Finder
As everyone is aware, the camera ships with a waist-level finder. In my opinion, that is something of a mistake, as the a good majority of the prospected AFi user base will want / need a prism finder. In any event, the waist-level finder is nice to have a backup if needed, or if you prefer that type of viewing.

As most are not aware, Leaf's 45˚ Prism Finder (#921-201) is currently available! We have already delivered some to customers, and have several in stock! This is a reasonable alternative to the 90˚, as it allows a more relaxed viewing / shooting position, and offers bright, well-corrected image. I have found the 45˚ Prism Finder allows for a very comfortable camera position, along with the adjustable hand grip. Not to mention it is available today. The 45˚ Prism costs a little over $1200, and is in-stock! Update: In addition to the relaxed viewing angle of the prism, it also allows re-orientation of the finder at 90˚ increments from its original position. This means the prism can be oriented normally facing to the rear of the camera, as well as facing to the right, to the left, and to the front of the camera for special viewing applications. I would not say it "rotates" only because it requires the finder is removed from the camera, and re-attached in the appropriate position. I nice feature none the less.

- Battery
The Leaf AFi is unique in it's battery configuration, in comparison to the Sinar / Rollei Hy6. The Leaf AFi body and back both use the same Aptus / AFi battery (Part # 906-320). The camera and back will operate with one battery installed in the camera's hand grip. In addition, you have the option of installing a second battery on the AFi back as well. However, there must always be a battery installed in the camera body for proper operation. That makes it nice for doubling up on power while on location.

The battery performance as been quite good so far. I am finding approx. 3 hours of total camera and back operation on one battery installed in the camera grip. I have noticed this performance can vary quite a bit, based on auto-focus usage, LCD use, and vertical / horizontal back positioning. With a lower LCD brightness setting, a shorter camera sleep setting, as well  as a more deliberate orientation of the back, the battery performance will increase. Re-positioning the orientation of the digital forces the back to power down and power up once re-attached to the camera. This would have an obvious effect on battery performance. As I have even further practical experience with the camera, I will provide more detailed battery performance specs (shot count, etc.). The good news is the original Leaf batteries only cost $69.00, and they are in-stock as well.

- Digital Back Operation
As most are aware, the Leaf AFi back is remarkably similar to the current Aptus S line of digital back in regards to operation and menu navigation. But as Yair has pointed out, it is not just an Aptus S back in a new dress. It offers communication and control via the camera body (ISO, WB). As well as detailed meta-data written to the .MOS files (ie. specific lens info), among other AFi-specific features.

One of the interesting features of the AFi / Hy6 camera system is the unique 4-pin mounting interface of the back and body. This can be seen in detail in Michael's detailed hands-on review of the Sinar Hy6. This 4-pin configuration allows for the back to oriented both vertically and horizontally by removing the back, rotating 90 degree counter-clockwise, and mounting the back in place by locating the appropriate 4 locating pins. This is rather simple procedure, and allows for a more comfortable camera configuration when shooting vertical for any length of time. The only downside to this, is the LCD and menu are only configured for "normal", horizontal orientation. This is not a consideration when shooting tethered, like in the current Aptus/S line of back, the menu is not accessible when tethered to the computer (for obvious reasons). However when shooting to a CF card, having the back in vertical orientation can be make navigating the menu some what interesting.

As you can imagine, there will significantly more information available as these camera (in their three different flavors) begin to ship in reasonable quantities around the world.

I am quote excited to see another solid camera platform that offers a tremendous lens selection, along with some unique attributes regarding digital back configuration and operation. It will be interesting to see where things go with 3rd party backs, as well as 3rd party cameras for the AFi / Hy6 backs. (I understand ALPA is currently developing their AFi / Hy6 back adapter with success as well.)

I hope every one finds this information helpful. Feel free to contact me directly for more detailed information. Of course the Leaf and Sinar representation on this forum is quite good, so I am sure Yair and Thierry can offer some additional information as well.

Keep an eye out on www.Leaf-Photography.com, as additional information (ie. manuals, install guides, etc.) will become available for the Leaf AFi-Series camera(s).

Regards,

Jordan
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:07:04 am by j.miller »

H1/A75 Guy

Leaf AFi Update
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:03:25 pm »

quote=yaya,Jan 17 2008, 01:28 PM]
We are working on a rotating solution that I believe to be announced later this year, again I cannot draw any specific timeframe as yet.
Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167817\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Thanks Jordan, Forward looking, besides all the great AFi software and firmware upgrades, it is my belief that the first AFi back (hardware) upgrade will be the integrated rotating (revolving) mount. This feature would make the AFi unstoppable in the MFDB world. One thing not talked about is Leaf's machined hardware interfaces that have always been world class, and that begins with excellence in design. So do not to disturb Leaf's mechanical hardware engineers. Just reap the benefits of their hard work.

David
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:04:40 pm by H1/A75 Guy »

j.miller

Leaf AFi Update
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:35:11 am »

Updated post with correct pricing and additional details on the 45-degree prism finder. See update above.

Regards,

Jordan
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:05:30 am by j.miller »

j.miller

Leaf AFi Update
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 09:42:54 pm »

I would believe the only thing wrong with "my" company is that our fraud-prevention measures are bit too strict in this particular case. Unconfirmed, non-US PayPal addresses in conjunction with different ship-to addresses, associated with a PayPal payment of this amount, can be easily construed as fraud.

In this instance, there has been an obvious mistake. Contact from our fraud prevention team should have been immediate.

Please direct any additional communication to me at the contact information below or via private message. Feel free to contact me directly, and I will be sure that these issues are addressed, as well as any future needs that you may have. I am sorry for any inconvenience and frustration this may have caused you.

Regards,

Jordan Miller

What is wrong with your company? I ordered a Leaf AFi 90° Prism Finder and paid by Paypal, but you refunded all my payment with our any explaination.

I ordered again with Mastercard!

If you do not want to sell, please do not make ad for Leaf AFi here!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=180716\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:01:44 am by j.miller »

shutay

• http://www.asiaphotohub.com/Jason/
Leaf AFi Update
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 10:08:59 pm »

Xin Chen, allow me to respectably comment that I don't think the sales staff woke up the morning you placed your order thinking, "Gee, how can I really screw up Xin Chen's order today?" To be fair to them, I think that you could have just given Jordan a call on the phone or send him a private e-mail and I'm sure he would have sorted everything out for you. I think it was a bit unfair to blast such a comment here unless you explain your situation. You could even have PM'd him. It's just simple courtesy.

Personally, I don't like to use PayPal for such transactions, but I guess that's just me. Last time I bought something big from the US, I used telegraphic transfer, in this case, buying from KEH.com. They were really understanding and worked with me all the way through and were really patient. All I needed to do was make a call to the US and talk to their customer representative. In the end, everything got done any hitches.

BJNY

Leaf AFi Update
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 11:23:44 pm »

Xin,
Why don't you correspond with Jordan privately?
Guillermo

Graham Mitchell

Leaf AFi Update
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 11:24:47 pm »

Xin,
Why don't you correspond with Jordan privately?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=181291\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agreed.

Gigi

• some work
Leaf AFi Update
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 09:29:56 am »

For what its worth, I have found large transactions overseas often have hang-ups. Its not abnormal, in fact, its more often typical. Takes some time to work through, and while some just breeze on through, others get hung up.

Frustrating, but ultimately workable - usually.

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up