Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 Top Sheet Feeder, Exhibiton Fiber Paper  (Read 13722 times)

Ralph Eisenberg

Epson 3800 Top Sheet Feeder, Exhibiton Fiber Paper
« on: January 18, 2008, 05:09:37 pm »

Into my  sixth pack of Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper, it has become almost impossible to print using the top sheet feeder of my Epson 3800. I checked to see whether this was a more general problem, but the top sheet feeder appears to work with Premium Luster. I use the usually indicated settings (such as proposed in other threads in this forum), and don't know why this problem has arisen. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Ralph

picnic

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 05:19:14 pm »

Into my  sixth pack of Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper, it has become almost impossible to print using the top sheet feeder of my Epson 3800. I checked to see whether this was a more general problem, but the top sheet feeder appears to work with Premium Luster. I use the usually indicated settings (such as proposed in other threads in this forum), and don't know why this problem has arisen. Any suggestions would be appreciated
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168045\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just tried my first sheet of EEF--in that same feeder.  I'm printing 8.5 x 11 now--curious what size you are printing.  You said you were using the 'wide' and #5 paper weight, so I really DON'T have anything to offer--except to say--I guess you made up your mind which paper YOU like.  Has it been printing without problems?  I assume you are printing one sheet at a time--so you could use the backfeeder also--though its less convenient.

Diane

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 09:20:54 pm »

Ralph, what problems are you experiencing using the Auto Sheet Feed?

I haven't had problems using the AS Feed with EEF as long as I feed one sheet at a time.
Eric Chan

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 03:05:39 am »

Ralph, what problems are you experiencing using the Auto Sheet Feed?

I haven't had problems using the AS Feed with EEF as long as I feed one sheet at a time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168080\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you Diane and Eric for your responses. I'd been feeding one sheet at a time, but by the time I got mid-way through this latest pack it has become either impossible to use the top sheet feeder or only to be able to do so sporadically. I'm perplexed as to why this has arisen all of a sudden. When a failure occurs, the printer tries with quite a bit of noise to feed the sheet, and when unsuccessful (which by now is most of the time) the sheet then passes through the printer ending in the tray. Unfortunately, by this time one can see wheel marks from the exertion on the sheet.

I should add, in answer to a question above,  that I'm referring to printing A4.

Also, many thanks Eric, once again, for the tremendous resource you've made available to us on your site, and the great curves that allow for the use of the Epson Advanced Black & White with accurate screen simulation of output. What a help!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 05:50:40 am by Ralph Eisenberg »
Ralph

pflower

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 09:33:56 am »

Thank you Diane and Eric for your responses. I'd been feeding one sheet at a time, but by the time I got mid-way through this latest pack it has become either impossible to use the top sheet feeder or only to be able to do so sporadically. I'm perplexed as to why this has arisen all of a sudden. When a failure occurs, the printer tries with quite a bit of noise to feed the sheet, and when unsuccessful (which by now is most of the time) the sheet then passes through the printer ending in the tray. Unfortunately, by this time one can see wheel marks from the exertion on the sheet.

I should add, in answer to a question above,  that I'm referring to printing A4.

Also, many thanks Eric, once again, for the tremendous resource you've made available to us on your site, and the great curves that allow for the use of the Epson Advanced Black & White with accurate screen simulation of output. What a help!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168108\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I always have problems with epson printers feeding paper.  I discovered the reason after calling in a tech after my 3800 refused to feed anything from the top feeder.  My problem was that the roller was picking up dust from the Photo Rag i was printing with and wouldn't grip the paper in the feeder.  Cleaning it with a cloth soaked in isopropyl alcohol cured the problem.  I also found some epson cleaning paper and run that through the printer every week or so and now have no problems.  Don't know if EEF could cause the same problem but it would be worth cleaning off the roller and seeing if that makes a difference.

picnic

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 09:48:48 am »

I always have problems with epson printers feeding paper.  I discovered the reason after calling in a tech after my 3800 refused to feed anything from the top feeder.  My problem was that the roller was picking up dust from the Photo Rag i was printing with and wouldn't grip the paper in the feeder.  Cleaning it with a cloth soaked in isopropyl alcohol cured the problem.  I also found some epson cleaning paper and run that through the printer every week or so and now have no problems.  Don't know if EEF could cause the same problem but it would be worth cleaning off the roller and seeing if that makes a difference.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168146\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's a good tip.  I occasionally had similar problems with the 2200 but it was random.  However I used that paper and similar and do with the 3800 also, so I'll remember this.

Diane

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 01:54:36 pm »

I always have problems with epson printers feeding paper.  I discovered the reason after calling in a tech after my 3800 refused to feed anything from the top feeder.  My problem was that the roller was picking up dust from the Photo Rag i was printing with and wouldn't grip the paper in the feeder.  Cleaning it with a cloth soaked in isopropyl alcohol cured the problem.  I also found some epson cleaning paper and run that through the printer every week or so and now have no problems.  Don't know if EEF could cause the same problem but it would be worth cleaning off the roller and seeing if that makes a difference.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168146\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you very much for these pointers. I'm going to see about getting the Epson cleaning paper. I'm also going to call Epson Technical Services to see what they have to say about this.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:55:59 pm by Ralph Eisenberg »
Ralph

duraace

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 11:49:28 am »

With EFP I always the manual rear feed. Never a problem.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 05:11:52 pm »

Thank you very much for these pointers. I'm going to see about getting the Epson cleaning paper. I'm also going to call Epson Technical Services to see what they have to say about this.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168211\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Red River Paper sells cleaning sheets as well.  This is a pretty common problem with inkjet prints and coated papers ... most of these print feed mechanisms seem to be designed with the RC papers in mind.

The cleaning sheets may help, but the problem is over time the rollers become hard/slick and will not grab the paper.  It doesn't take much with a thick stock paper.  We print a lot of Moab Entrada on 4800's, and fight this problem constantly.

Are you using the rear "manual" feed slot, or the standard feeder?  Using the attachable guide the rear slot is always better if using single sheets.  You may also want to try the front manual slot ... a little slower, but for very expensive paper I've always felt this was the safest method ... the paper really doesn't need to "bend" at all ... completely straight paper path.

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 05:29:27 am »

Red River Paper sells cleaning sheets as well.  This is a pretty common problem with inkjet prints and coated papers ... most of these print feed mechanisms seem to be designed with the RC papers in mind.

The cleaning sheets may help, but the problem is over time the rollers become hard/slick and will not grab the paper.  It doesn't take much with a thick stock paper.  We print a lot of Moab Entrada on 4800's, and fight this problem constantly.

Are you using the rear "manual" feed slot, or the standard feeder?  Using the attachable guide the rear slot is always better if using single sheets.  You may also want to try the front manual slot ... a little slower, but for very expensive paper I've always felt this was the safest method ... the paper really doesn't need to "bend" at all ... completely straight paper path.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168644\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. As is generally the case, these bothersome problems arise when one is either quite busy and/or getting ready for a trip. This is my case, so I guess that I'll put these helpful suggestions to good use on my return, when hopefully my courage will be at its peak.
Ralph

duraace

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 06:12:23 pm »

You may also want to try the front manual slot ... a little slower, but for very expensive paper I've always felt this was the safest method ... the paper really doesn't need to "bend" at all ... completely straight paper path.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168644\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The front loader can be a serious problem unless using very thick paper or a sheet taped to something else to make it thick.  Thinner paper has a tendency to drop a bit coming out and catching of the front lip, which results in a serious paper jam, ruining the paper and possibly the print head.  This has happened to me about 4 times until I smartened up.  I only use the manual rear now, and will only use the sheet feeder if I have more than one sheet to print, which I never do.  If you do get a sheet caught coming out of the front loader, immediately press the off button and let the head park.  I freaked out and tried to pull the paper out while the head was trying to print.  I'm really lucky I didn't damage the print head.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 06:12:47 pm by duraace »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 06:31:05 pm »

The front loader can be a serious problem unless using very thick paper or a sheet taped to something else to make it thick.  Thinner paper has a tendency to drop a bit coming out and catching of the front lip, which results in a serious paper jam, ruining the paper and possibly the print head.  This has happened to me about 4 times until I smartened up.  I only use the manual rear now, and will only use the sheet feeder if I have more than one sheet to print, which I never do.  If you do get a sheet caught coming out of the front loader, immediately press the off button and let the head park.  I freaked out and tried to pull the paper out while the head was trying to print.  I'm really lucky I didn't damage the print head.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169094\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So you're saying thicker than Exhibition Fiber?  One think I like about this paper is it is pretty sturdy and lays quite flat, so it seems like it should work in the front slot pretty well.  I've only used EEF on the 11880, none on my 3800, so I wouldn't know for sure how well the front slot handles it.  I do know the surface is a little sensitive, and I always like the straightest paper path possible for that reason.

I've had problems using this slot with Museum Etching, which is pretty thick, but not because it drops.  It has a slight upward curl and catches on one of the guides .. end result the same as you mentioned ... major jam/possible damage.

duraace

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 10:21:03 pm »

So you're saying thicker than Exhibition Fiber?  One think I like about this paper is it is pretty sturdy and lays quite flat, so it seems like it should work in the front slot pretty well.  I've only used EEF on the 11880, none on my 3800, so I wouldn't know for sure how well the front slot handles it.  I do know the surface is a little sensitive, and I always like the straightest paper path possible for that reason.

I've had problems using this slot with Museum Etching, which is pretty thick, but not because it drops.  It has a slight upward curl and catches on one of the guides .. end result the same as you mentioned ... major jam/possible damage.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=169100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just don't trust the front slot. EFP always works best for me in the rear manual slot.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 12:36:30 pm by duraace »

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 09:16:47 pm »

I'm on the road right now, but before leaving Paris I followed up on the suggestion of using the rear feeder. Worked without a hitch and seemed less aggressive with the paper. I just wished to reiterate my thanks for the suggestion.
Ralph

duraace

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 12:35:08 pm »

I'm on the road right now, but before leaving Paris I followed up on the suggestion of using the rear feeder. Worked without a hitch and seemed less aggressive with the paper. I just wished to reiterate my thanks for the suggestion.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

FYI  This is off the Eric Chan "Epson 3800: Printer Notes and Resources" site:

[a href=\"http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/index.html]http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/index.html[/url]

"An important note: the Epson info sheet that came with the EEF samples suggests using the Front Feed to load the paper on the 3800. Don't do this!! The print head ends up too far from the paper surface, so the ink dots misregister and end up causing a "ghosting" image — very fuzzy. If you would like to use the Front Feed (e.g., to avoid pizza wheel marks entirely) then try this method described here...."
Pages: [1]   Go Up