Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doug Brown's Review OF E-3  (Read 3237 times)

George Barr

Doug Brown's Review OF E-3
« on: January 18, 2008, 01:42:05 pm »

Wonderful insight into the working of a pro photographer and also into what matters in a working environment. Thanks to Doug for contributing that effort.

George

Jeff Kott

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 04:14:16 pm »

I agree, this was a very thoughtful and helpful summary.

As a side note (this probably has nothing to do with anything), I thought the photos that Doug took with the Sony A-700 in his report on that camera were much more impressive than the photos he took with the Olympus.

Frank B

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:25:37 pm »

A fine review, thanks.  I would just like to add two points with respect to the E-3's controls.  

First, you can assign either the Main or Sub dial to set exposure compensation in all modes except manual where you do not need it. I have my E-3 set up that way and it is an easy one-step process to just turn the dial (you do not have to press the +/- button) to adjust exposure compensation.

Second, you can set a delay so that you can press and release the appropriate button and then adjust the parameter using the Main or Sub dials (you can assign which dial for most parameters).  For example, you can press the meter button release it and change the metering with the assigned dial.  This eliminates the need for contortions.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:45:30 pm by Frank B »

talepictures.com

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 01:06:26 pm »

A fine review, thanks.  I would just like to add two points with respect to the E-3's controls. 

To continue on with Frank's comments...

Doug talks about using the four arrows to adjust the selected focus point.  I don't think there's any need to use them as the front and main dials do the same selection.  I do think something should be done with the four arrow buttons - when no setting is being adjusted.  I'm yet to work out in what way but the ideal maybe that you can custom each button like the fn button (or preferably even more options).   Reason using the four arrows is not ideal for the focus point selection is that they are not on the battery grip.  So if you are shooting vertically you need to use the dials on the grip not the arrow buttons.  It's also better this way because you can learn to adjust them in a quicker more systematic way without taking your eye away from the viewfinder for both horizontal and vertical shooting.

Also I have used the E-3 with thick winter gloves on and although you can get the wrong button on occasions it is not too bad overall - method frank mentioned where you don't need to hold down the selected button whilst turning dials is needed though.

Thanks also to Doug for the review.  Always good to read thoughts and opinions from users.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:08:24 pm by talepictures.com »

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 11:25:32 pm »

Here is another E-3 review ...

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e3_tst.html

Ray

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 11:28:05 am »

Here is another E-3 review ...

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e3_tst.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168301\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That review provides some interesting test results for the 12-60. I see that this lens also suffers from pronounced softness in the corners at f4 so I guess I shouldn't worry too much about the Canon EF-S 17-55/2.8 exhibiting a similar problem. It's normal when the lens is designed for the sensor.

The surprise here is how well the lens performs at f11 and particularly f16 in macro mode.These f stops are equivalent to f22 and f32 with FF 35mm.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 11:38:31 am »

Hi Ray,

Photozone.de has some test results for the 17-55.  Looks like they match your experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up