Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New HyperDrive ColorSpace  (Read 4607 times)

Jsostar

New HyperDrive ColorSpace
« on: January 18, 2008, 11:04:51 am »

I need the following information from anyone who owns a HyperDrive ColorSpace 120GB , 160GB or 250 GB unit.   Please hit the “more” button and then the “system Info” button and let me know the model number of the hard drive used in the device.  The rest of message contains the reason I need this information.

I recently purchased a HyperDrive ColorSpace casing only (no hard drive installed).   I already owned a 100GB and 40GB PATA laptop hard drive.  When I install the 100GB Seagate Hard drive, I get a Hard drive Error messages at the very end of my backup operations(reading from CF card and writing to the Hard Drive).   This hard drive has been in my laptop for over a year before being replaced by 160 GB Hard Drive.  When I put my 40GB Hard Drive in the unit I get no error messages and the unit seems to work as advertised.   I have not been able to get any response from Hyper Drive  on what Hard Drives should work in their device.  They have not answered any of my Emails and they do not have telephone support.  According to their advertising all Hard Drives should work.   I now need to buy another Hard Drive (40GB is not large enough) and would like to know what Hyper Drive is using when they supply the Hard Drive.   With this information I will be able to buy a Hard Drive that will work.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 11:25:43 am »

Are you sure your hard drive didn't just die?  The circuit boards on those things can be remarkably fragile.  (They can also last forever.  But winter with its dry air static is a particular problem.)

Jsostar

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:28:26 pm »

I have an adapter card that lets me put my laptop harddrives into a desktop system.   The hard drive works just fine when plugged into my desktop system.   The hard drive also works with the usb2 hard drive enclosure I bought for it.    That is the way I was using it before I got the ColorSpace.   I did test it after I took it out of the ColorSpace.

mguertin

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 01:10:34 pm »

I'm not familiar with these units per se, but have you tried removing the current partitions and re-doing them and trying again?  I've seen some hardware that is very fussy about how drives are partitioned and if there was any funkiness in the partition table it might be causing your issues ...

HTH

Jsostar

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 02:22:58 pm »

Before I put the Hard Drive in I formated it to FAT32 with no partitions.   After installing the Hard Drive I used the ColorSpace Format routine to reformat the Hard Drive.   I also reflashed the ColorSpace firmware to version V22-45-32 shortly after receiving the unit.

mguertin

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 04:33:46 pm »

Just want to point out that simple re-formatting, and removing and redoing partitions may not always be the same thing.  Removing all partitions on a drive _should_ also remove the partition table (where I suspect the problem may be).  I would suggest fully removing all partitions (with command line fdisk if you are comfortable with it), rebooting (important to commit the partition table), and then adding a new fat32 partition and doing a full format on it (not quick format).

The reason for this is that I've seen drives that have 2 completely different partition tables on them, which causes big confusion on some hardware.  Some hardware reads the newest one, some read the previous one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up