Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 80-200 f/2.8 (magic drainpipe) needs repair?  (Read 5562 times)

mguertin

80-200 f/2.8 (magic drainpipe) needs repair?
« on: January 17, 2008, 03:56:03 pm »

Hi everyone

Just got myself a 80-200 f/2.8L (magic drainpipe) ... loving it so far, but I have a question..  the zoom ring seems to randomly bind up a bit (nothing major, just gets randomly stiffer and then goes back to normal after random turning again).  Is this a sign of bad things to come and should I send it off for repairs?

The binding up problem wasn't a problem until it was shipped USPS.  The box didn't have any visible signs of damage or drops, and the lens was extremely well packaged for shipping, so not sure how this could have happened.  I bought it from a friend (it took me a full year to convince him to part with it) and he says that he never noticed this issue while it was in his possession.  The rubber grip around the zoom ring is a bit loose, but this is common for this lens and doesn't seem to be related to this binding issue ....

Help?  Advice?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 03:57:25 pm by mguertin »

Hank

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 04:24:54 pm »

What are the chances a small bit of the packing material migrated under the ring during shipping?  If the lens was not bagged and separate from the packing material, that's a distinct possibility.

If it was mine, I'd tip it up so the gap was down, then spend some time rotating the ring to see if you could shake loose a potential obstruction.

Just a guess, but a good one based on owning 3 of these lenses at present, and a couple of others in days of yore.  Debris can get under the ring and create exactly the symptoms you describe.

mguertin

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 04:50:28 pm »

Thanks Hank, I'll give that a shot.

I don't think that's what happened here, the lens was wrapped in about 6 layers of bubble wrap and the other packing components likely didn't get in there...  I just spent a few minutes working the ring but no luck yet.

It almost feels like a problem with a gear of some sort   I've removed the rubber ring for the moment to see if it made a difference (it didn't),but without the rubber slipping it's much easier to "feel" something binding, and it doesn't feel like the ring itself

mguertin

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 05:26:20 pm »

An update (and not a good one)....

In working the zoom ring (I worked it for about 15 minutes) it completely jammed.

Anyone know a good repair shop in Toronto that can look at this?

Hank

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 06:15:35 pm »

Mmmmm.  The only time I've seen anything similar was on a 24-120VR that I dropped (don't ask).  I doubt there's a similarity in mechanisms, but here goes just in case.  On the 24-120 beneath the rubber ring there's a slot in the ring, within which a wedge or plate is installed to engage a helical spiral in the lens barrel.  Turn the ring and a nubbin on the bottom of the plate engages the spiral slot in the lens barrel to extend or retract it, changing focal length in the process.  Since the 80-200 doesn't stretch with f/l changes, something different must be at play in there.

The only reason I bring it up, the result of my drop was to pop the screw loose holding that wedge or plate.  Not only was the screw free and gumming up the works, it's loss allowed the wedge or plate to move too much and wedge the helical rather than slide along it.  The threads in the plastic wedge were stripped, but I needed the lens ASAP rather than shipping and waiting.  I put a tiny dab of 5-minute epoxy on the screw and put it back in place.  Half an hour later I started using the lens again, and it's never given me trouble since.

Whether or not there's anything useful to you in that account, I'll still claim credit for quick thinking under fire and telling a pretty fair story years later !
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 06:16:49 pm by Hank »

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 08:14:19 pm »

I had a screw come loose inside my 35-350L from heavy use and it wedged in the zoom mechanism and jammed it. I sent it in to repair and got it back about 2 weeks later. Has worked fine ever since.

mguertin

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 09:05:49 pm »

Thanks for the encouraging words ... there's nothing mechanically I can get at with this lens that will help me in this case that I can find   It looks like a trip to the repair shop.

Asking again, does anyone know a Toronto area repair shop?  I phoned vistek today, who said they have someone they can "send it out to" and no time frame on estimate or repair.  The answer was "I dunno, a few days, maybe a few weeks."  

I have a trip to South of Spain and Portugal, departing on Feb 10 and was really really hoping that this glass would go with me (it was the whole point in buying it in fact).

Colorado David

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 09:37:44 pm »

I am sorry about your problem.  I cannot recommend anyone in the Tornoto area.  I can, however, recommend Pho-Tech, an authorized Nikon service center in Hesston, Kansas.  Bernie does quality work with a fairly quick turn around.  His business is aimed mainly at professional photographers.  I don't know if sending a lens to the U.S. from Canada for repairs would be too high a hurdle or not.

http://www.pho-tech.net/index.shtml

I should also mention, Bernie works on all brands of equipment, not just Nikon.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 09:41:08 pm by Colorado David »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 01:45:44 am »

Sending it to the US isn't too big a hurdle as long as Canadian and US Customs know that it's a Canadian item being sent for repair.  This needs to be written (clearly) on the outside, both by the sender (Cdn) and the repair shop (US).  The US people write something like 'Canadian Goods being Returned to Canada.

Mike.

Can't help you with repairs in Toronto.  Used to know of a guy in Guelph but that was years ago.  You might call Henry's Pro Shop or Vistek and ask if they can recommend someone.
If your mind is attuned t

mguertin

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 12:58:32 pm »

Thanks folks

I ended up deciding to take a different route here... the 80-200 is going back to the seller.

I instead just ordered a new 70-200 f/4 L USM from vistek ... not as fast as the 80-200 but it is within my budget and it should work well for my needs.  Would have loved to have the faster lens, but it's not in my budget to buy new and I'm on a tight schedule
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 01:07:28 pm by mguertin »
Pages: [1]   Go Up