Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .PSD & .TIF conflict  (Read 3529 times)

John McDermott

.PSD & .TIF conflict
« on: January 17, 2008, 01:57:59 pm »

I have also posted this on the Adobe Lightroom forum. Hope that's OK.

I am running Lightroom 1.3.1 on Windows XP Pro on a Pentium 4, 1.7MH CPU with 2GB RAM.

Up to now I have used .PSD files to edit Canon 20D raw files converted to .DNG. When I am finished editing I saved the file as a .PSD. Worked fine.

However, I have read that .TIF files are preferable (re: Jeff Schewe) and I am persuaded. So I am going through my catalog and converting my previously saved .PSD files to .TIF files. But I have run into a problem. When I save the file as a .TIF I now have two files with the same name (e.g., IMG_5090_Edit.psd and IMG_5090_Edit.tif. But light room will not add the .TIF file to the catalog. Even if I delete the .PSD file (from outside Lightroom) and synchronize the Lightroom folder it still reflects the .PSD file. What I want to end up with is Lightroom no longer reflecting the .PSD file and reflecting the .TIF file.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug, or both?
John E. McDermott

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
.PSD & .TIF conflict
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 02:27:29 pm »

I had some problems last week with Tiffs I had to produce for a job and noticed some tiffs, not importing into LR after coming out of PS. Not had a chance to go and work out why as my house is currently being gutted from top to bottom, so not much time to take pictures or use computer as I've had to keep a close eye on builders.

LR in it's original form would not recognize files with different extensions as that was how it was designed. After a lot of complaints, they allowed one to import image-001.jpg and image-001.psd and image-001.CRW etc. Maybe it's some echo of that design error appearing as a bug!?
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
.PSD & .TIF conflict
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 10:05:58 pm »

External Editor Presets in LR give you the choice between TIF or PSD.  Let LR name the file (ie: img_001_edit.tif, img_001_edit_edit.psd) you should have no problem.  Depending on the number of psd files you have, you might just leave well enough alone and continue with TIF's moving fwd

hth - John

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
.PSD & .TIF conflict
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 05:06:24 am »

This is nothing to do with the external editor presets. Besides I don't actually want the file named 'blahblah-edit'. The fact it has a different extension, means it already has a different name so the '-edit' is superfluous and these were Tiffs saved from PS anyway. LR simply fails to import them.

Digressing slightly - LR, if it actually wants to be a proper DAM app rather than the half baked effort it is so far, at a very minimum it needs to recognize all image files and if it is to do a thorough job then it needs to recognize all digital media files. Still cameras already produce movie [and sound files], yet LR ignores movies when importing, so one cannot use LR to import off a card as it leaves files behind. I nearly lost a bunch of movies that way. Just as well I double check using a file browser before deleting.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 05:07:47 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
.PSD & .TIF conflict
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:13:35 pm »

So, If I understand you, you are expecting a file introduced to a folder containing images cataloged by Lightroom to be automatically imported into LR's database?

hmmm . . .  I think I prefer "half baked", If i want an image in my catalog, i'll import it on purpose, including keywords, etc.  

Sorry I misunderstood your post -John
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:24:32 pm by Joh.Murray »

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
.PSD & .TIF conflict
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 03:12:28 am »

If you want copies of the same file in different formats, rename them then synchronize the folder.

But why would you need copies of the same file in multiple formats? I think there's an obsession with copies and  derivatives and backups and replications. The whole point of Lightroom is to simplify this. You don't need so many files. Try to avoid paranoia - TIF is safe. PSD is dead.

And I think making LR recognize all file types would be a huge mistake on Adobe's part.

Lightroom is a photo editing application, period.

If you want to catalog your movies use iView (now Microsoft Expression).
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://
Pages: [1]   Go Up