Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 noise level  (Read 2101 times)

howseth

• http://howseth.com/
Z3100 noise level
« on: January 16, 2008, 03:30:20 pm »

Hi.  I am trying to decide which 24" printer to purchase. I read somewhere in the Wiki, that the Z3100 made more fan noise than the Canon ipf 6100 in standby mode. What are peoples experiences with Z3100 noise? I am concerned because I also do some music recording in the same room.

Is it possible to just turn off the Z3100 from time to time when I am recording? or does it have to stay in standby mode (or it will clog)?

Howard

sloow

• http://paullitherland.com
Z3100 noise level
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 05:46:29 pm »

I leave mine on for the most part, but I've also turned it off for a week at a time with no ill effects.. As far as I can tell, the noise is just the hard drive spinning away.

Paul

rdonson

Z3100 noise level
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 10:46:52 pm »

I concur with Paul.  I leave my printer on all the time and its rare when I notice any noise from it.  If I get close to it I can hear what I think is the hard drive spinning.  Turn on a radio and you'll never hear it.
Regards,
Ron

ThePhotoDude

• Fine Art, Landscape and Travel Photographer
Z3100 noise level
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 09:07:44 am »

There is always a fan spinning which you can hear, not so bad but if you are recording music then your mics may pick up the noise.

Turning it off is an option, but rather then the heads clogging (if you only switch it off for a short time they shouldn't), when you switch it back on it will go through a start up routine which will consume ink each time.

I don't understand WHY a fan needs to spin (or hard drive if that's what it is) continuously whilst the printer is in standby, surely there is no need for it if the printer is asleep .. but it does!
Pages: [1]   Go Up