Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cambo / Calumet 23 SF questions...  (Read 12017 times)

rpinciuc

• http://www.pinciuc.com/photos/
Cambo / Calumet 23 SF questions...
« on: January 16, 2008, 11:09:48 am »

Hi folks,

I have a couple of questions about this 2x3"/6x9cm view camera that I'm hoping someone here can answer:

1. Is it possible to use this camera with a digital back, and if so, what type of adapters/mounts are available (ie., hasselblad, mamiya, contax, etc.)?
2. Is there a sliding adapter available, either from Cambo, or from a third party such as Phase One, Kapture Group, etc.?
3. What is the widest lens that can be used on this camera, including reduced coverage digital lenses, using recessed lens boards or whatever is necessary to make it work?

Thanks everyone for looking!

-Rob
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:10:06 am by rpinciuc »

lance_schad

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:19:15 pm »

Hi folks,

I have a couple of questions about this 2x3"/6x9cm view camera that I'm hoping someone here can answer:

1. Is it possible to use this camera with a digital back, and if so, what type of adapters/mounts are available (ie., hasselblad, mamiya, contax, etc.)?
2. Is there a sliding adapter available, either from Cambo, or from a third party such as Phase One, Kapture Group, etc.?
3. What is the widest lens that can be used on this camera, including reduced coverage digital lenses, using recessed lens boards or whatever is necessary to make it work?

-Rob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167564\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Rob,
If this is the same camera as the Cambo Ultima 23 (you have it titled as Calumet 23F), then you have a few options for using a digital back on it. Even if it is not there is no reason why a system tha uses the same mount (which it looks like it does) can't be used with the below solutions.

Cambo,Kapture Group and Phase One all make sliding backs for it. If you want to use the Phase One FlexAdapter there is a special adapter kit that is available as a part from Cambo that adapts it.

You can also if your digital back has a Live Preview like on the Phase One P+ series and others, you can just use a "live video" adapter. This is basically a modified lens board with a camera mount on it. KaptureGroup makes these. This would require you to composite  and focus on the computer monitor. I strongly suggest this method anyway since you will be focusing right on the chip as opposed to the ground glass.

As for wide angle lenses, the wides I recommend going on a technical camera is a 35mm. You will need to use a recessed lens board. Anything wider is very difficult to use if you can get it to focus at all with some systems.

If you are going to be using wide angle lenses a great deal of the time I would recomend a dedicated wide angle system like the CamboWide DS , Alpa or Horsemnan.
Hope this helps.

Lance
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 04:15:21 pm »

The 23SF is a non geared older version of the Ultima 23 - it uses the exact same bellows and boards.   You can use a Cambo sliding back, Flexadapter as well as the Kapture Group back - The flex might need to get the shims added in like it does for the Ultima 23.

I have actually used a Digitar 28 in a copal & recessed on my Ulitma 23 - its not the sharpest but it served its purpose and covered.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 04:19:21 pm by GregShapps »

rpinciuc

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 04:48:51 pm »

Lance,

Thanks greatly for your response and advice. I'd love to use this camera with a digital back with Live View, but the budget doesn't allow for one of those anytime soon  I'll likely go with something like an Leaf Aptus 17 or a Mamiya ZD, maybe even a Kodak Pro Back. I also want to shoot some film.

Cheers,
-Rob

rpinciuc

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 04:54:39 pm »

Hi Greg,

Thank you for the insight, I wasn't aware of the relationship between the 23SF and the Ultima 23. Very good to know there's some compatibility, especially in backs and boards.

I presume you mean the Digitar 28mm (the f/2.8 lens, right?) is not the sharpest? That's also good to know (and that it's possible to use it). I am considering that lens, but will more likely go for the 35mm as it'll be more useful to me.

How is the Ultima 23 in terms of field worthiness? I can't seem to find specs on it, such as weight, size, compactibility, etc.

What kind of tripod mount do these cameras have? Is it just a standard 3/8" screw, or something else? I'd like to know what kind of plate I'd need for my RRS ballhead and clamp.

Cheers!
-Rob

lance_schad

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 05:08:03 pm »

Hi Greg,

Thank you for the insight, I wasn't aware of the relationship between the 23SF and the Ultima 23. Very good to know there's some compatibility, especially in backs and boards.

I presume you mean the Digitar 28mm (the f/2.8 lens, right?) is not the sharpest? That's also good to know (and that it's possible to use it). I am considering that lens, but will more likely go for the 35mm as it'll be more useful to me.

How is the Ultima 23 in terms of field worthiness? I can't seem to find specs on it, such as weight, size, compactibility, etc.

What kind of tripod mount do these cameras have? Is it just a standard 3/8" screw, or something else? I'd like to know what kind of plate I'd need for my RRS ballhead and clamp.

Cheers!
-Rob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167641\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is on the www.cambo.com website , under photo, under ULTIMA Digital Applications on the left. They are using frames and could not extract the exact url.

The Ultima would be better with a digital back since the movements are more precise. Digital is a lot less forgiving than film.

What is your exact application. You mentioned fieldwork, is that exclusive or would you be doing studio work as well?

L
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-534-5701 office
305-394-3196 cell
877-217-9870
www.captureintegration.com
lance@captureintegration.com

yaya

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 05:36:09 pm »

I'd love to use this camera with a digital back with Live View, but the budget doesn't allow for one of those anytime soon  I'll likely go with something like an Leaf Aptus 17 or a Mamiya ZD, maybe even a Kodak Pro Back. I also want to shoot some film.

Cheers,
-Rob
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you go with an Aptus 17 you can save the money required for a sliding back and spend it on a Live View Dongle. Some dealers offer the dongle as part of a bundle.

You can then buy the [a href=\"http://www.cambo.com/Html/products_photo/set01/english/internet/Item122.html]Cambo DP23 direct adapter[/url] with the relevant SL plate as shown here

There are also SL plates that take RZ film holders etc.

Yair

GregShapps

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 07:05:24 pm »

Hi Greg,

Cheers!
-Rob
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Calumet has the 28 2.8 sitting on a shelf for the past year or so - so they let me take it and test to see if it was sharp.   Since its in just an aperture mount, I first tested it with my 1ds2 mounted on the Ultima and it wasn't that bad, I then unscrewed the front & rear elements and placed it into a Copal, the spacing was off a bit, so what looked in focus on the GG was way out of focus when captured with both the H25 & P45+.   One at a time I put in some spacers on the front element and eventually I found its proper distance and things were much much sharper - but still nothing great.    If you need to get that wide, it will work and cover the sensor.

It weighs 11lbs

here is the Ultima 23 Specs PDF:
[a href=\"http://www.cambo.com/Html/products_photo/Linkedfiles/english/download/Item322/Ultima_23.pdf]Cambo Ultima 23[/url]

lance_schad

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 07:32:51 pm »

Calumet has the 28 2.8 sitting on a shelf for the past year or so - so they let me take it and test to see if it was sharp.   Since its in just an aperture mount, I first tested it with my 1ds2 mounted on the Ultima and it wasn't that bad, I then unscrewed the front & rear elements and placed it into a Copal, the spacing was off a bit, so what looked in focus on the GG was way out of focus when captured with both the H25 & P45+.   One at a time I put in some spacers on the front element and eventually I found its proper distance and things were much much sharper - but still nothing great.    If you need to get that wide, it will work and cover the sensor.

It weighs 11lbs

here is the Ultima 23 Specs PDF:
Cambo Ultima 23
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167669\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rob,
How about a refurbished PhaseOne back w/ one year warranty. Some them have LivePreview included. We have a few P21's and they are under $9k.

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-534-5701 office
305-394-3196 cell
877-217-9870
www.captureintegration.com
lance@captureintegration.com

digitalcameraman

• Capture Integration
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 07:27:13 am »

Hi folks,

-Rob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167564\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rob:

I owned this 28mm Early Schneider Lens for 3 years and used it with H20 and H25 with Rollei X-act 2 mini view camera. I had the Kapture Group make a custom sliding back for it and I did not need any shims. The 28mm lens is not that great when compared to the new Digitars. It had more than enough coverage for the 37mm square chip but fell short of covering the new larger chips when trying to make some extreme rise and fall. It is a retrofocus design and I have taken that same lens and used it on Sinar P2 and Cambo 4x5 cameras. So it did not need the double recessed lens boards like the new lenses need to focus.

My experience with the lenses are as follows. I could get a 35mm lens to focus but not everytime. The 47mm and 55mm no problem at all. You can stich the 47mm to get wider. Most arch guys prefer a slightly longer lens than the extreme wide angle because there is less distortion at the corners. The 47mm would focus on a flat board but the 35mm needs the recessed boards. This is the reason there is a need for the Cambowide, Horseman and Alpa designed wide angle cameras.

I have a client that has a brand new Cambo Ultima 23 all tricked out with Phase One Flex adapter and bright screen with several digitars that he wants to sell. He is just not using the view camera part of the solution anymore because he loves his Contax system. His camera did not need shims either. In fact I have never had to uses these with Phase One backs when you use them on either the Kapture Group adapter or Phase One Flex adapters. If you have to use shims then your film plane is not designed correctly. I hear alot of this with other camera manufactures and really do not know why they do not get WISWIG (what you see on the ground glass is what capture). It is no fun to have to have to work this way.

Please email me off line and I will get you a list of the items and a price if you are interested.

Chris Snipes
Image Production, Inc
www.imageproduction.com
chris@imageproduction.com
813-335-2473

Phase One Test Studio Florida
Phase One Camera Backs New and Used
Phase One Production Motorhome
Chris Snipes
Sales Manager Capture Integ

GregShapps

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 11:20:57 am »

Chris - the Flex Adapter will not fit on the rear of the Ultima 23 standard without the shims to raise up that standard inorder for the height of the Flex adapter to clear the lower part of the standard.  If your client has a Ultima 23 in use with the Phase One Flex Adapter there was s shim installed - you will not be able to notice it what so ever as its a Cambo made part and it matches the camera.    With out the shims the Flexadapter will not mount on the rear standard as there isnt enough clearance.

digitalcameraman

• Capture Integration
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 12:17:57 pm »

Chris - the Flex Adapter will not fit on the rear of the Ultima 23 standard without the shims to raise up that standard inorder for the height of the Flex adapter to clear the lower part of the standard.  If your client has a Ultima 23 in use with the Phase One Flex Adapter there was s shim installed - you will not be able to notice it what so ever as its a Cambo made part and it matches the camera.    With out the shims the Flexadapter will not mount on the rear standard as there isnt enough clearance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167789\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All Phase One Flex Adapters use this on the Ultima 23. I understand that fully. I was refering to shims that others are using to match the film plane with the ground glass. I misunderstood your question, but yes there is a reto kit that they sell with for the Flex adapter to allow it to mount properly.

Sorry,

Chris Snipes
Image Production, Inc
www.imageproduction.com
chris@imageproduction.com
813-335-2473

Phase One Test Studio Florida
Phase One Camera Backs New and Used
Phase One Production Motorhome
Chris Snipes
Sales Manager Capture Integ

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 12:59:36 pm »

rob - I think you'll wanted everything to be geared w/ a digiback - it has been my experience

jim

rpinciuc

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 01:12:37 pm »

Thank you everyone for the terrific information and advice, it is greatly appreciated!

I'm a big fan of researching products online, and am disappointed by the lack of detailed information on view cameras, even from the manufacturers. It will cost a lot of money to buy a complete kit with digital back, I don't want to make a mistake. You would think the mfgs would want to provide the most up-to-date and detailed information possible. It seems to me that it's still a business of telephone calls and personal sales associates, which is just not my style.

Jim - your advice about geared movements for digibacks seems to resonate with that of many others online. Does anyone know if the Orbix tilt/swing mechanism for the Arca F-metric is geared? Or does it simply provide axial movements?

Thanks again,
-Rob

rob - I think you'll wanted everything to be geared w/ a digiback - it has been my experience

jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167811\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 05:12:33 pm by clawery »

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 03:16:24 pm »

I just wanted to add one more footnote.  There are two types of Orbix.  1 - Micrometric which is geared.  2 - Dynamic which is not geared.  

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
(404)234-5195   Cell
(404)522-7662   Atlanta
(305 )534-5701    Miami
(877 )217-9870   National
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
chris@captureintegration.com
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 05:13:04 pm by clawery »

David WM

• http://
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 08:07:19 am »

Hi Rob
I am using the Cambo Ultima23 with the Cambo sliding back. I use it mostly in the studio but have taken it on location. I use mostly the digitar 120Macro with it. The camera is solid and heavy because of all the gearing.  I also have the 80mm digitar and don't think I'll ever get a lens wider than 80mm for it. I have a WDS for wide angle work and that sort of camera is much more suitable for wide angle digital.  

If you are using it outdoors I wouldn't want to be considering live video in lieu of a sliding back unless the LV was built into the back's display or you are happy taking a laptop with you and are satisfied with the quality of the image it generates outdoors. I get the impression that LV images are intended for studio use. I haven't had much experience with LV, but I put a Hasselblad H3D39 back I am trying out on the Ultima earlier this week and I thought the LV image was very poor and that was in the studio. The rep who has supplied the H3D39 has no experience with using it on a view camera so I don't know if a better preview is possible, this is just what I managed to figure out (bearing in mind I am not at all familiar with flexcolor).

Re focusing the Ultima, I am using a standard ground glass and find it hard to pick exact focus, and tend to use the Mac to confirm and adjust. I think my sliding back is slightly off with the focus but it isn't a problem. I am talking about close-up work where the DOF is tiny.
cheers, David

I didn't notice you mentioning the sort of application you have in mind, why is it you are looking at a camera with full movements, what sort of photography do you do?
Pages: [1]   Go Up