Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon G9 Not Recognised by Mac  (Read 11718 times)

pflower

Canon G9 Not Recognised by Mac
« on: January 16, 2008, 07:43:27 am »

Just got a G9 and noticed that when I connect the camera to my mac (running OS10.4.10) the card inside is not mounted on the desktop and the MAC doesn't recognise it as a external disk.  If I remove the card from the camera and plug it into the mac via a card reader then it is recognised as a Canon Disk with the usual folder hierarchies.

Any ideas as to why the Mac can't see it when inside the camera and how to get around this?

Thanks

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 08:10:47 am »

You probably don't have the proper driver installed, and it's possible the camera doesn't support using itself as a card reader. But you really shouldn't be using your camera as a card reader. Using a standard card reader will usually result faster transfers, fewer driver issues, and you don't need to have your camera powered on while transferring photos.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 08:12:49 am by Jonathan Wienke »

Charlesu

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 10:11:06 am »

You probably don't have the proper driver installed, and it's possible the camera doesn't support using itself as a card reader. But you really shouldn't be using your camera as a card reader. Using a standard card reader will usually result faster transfers, fewer driver issues, and you don't need to have your camera powered on while transferring photos.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This might be helpful.

[a href=\"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEjNwZ13Rak]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEjNwZ13Rak[/url]

francois

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 10:26:30 am »

Just got a G9 and noticed that when I connect the camera to my mac (running OS10.4.10) the card inside is not mounted on the desktop and the MAC doesn't recognise it as a external disk.  If I remove the card from the camera and plug it into the mac via a card reader then it is recognised as a Canon Disk with the usual folder hierarchies.

Any ideas as to why the Mac can't see it when inside the camera and how to get around this?

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167512\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Can't really say for a G9 but with Canon's DSLRs, the camera is not mounted on the desktop (as it's the case with a memory card reader).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 10:26:45 am by francois »
Francois

Krug

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 10:28:45 am »

Sorry Jonathan you are way off target on this - unfortunately.

I would refer people with this concern - support for several new cameras including the G9, Alpha 700, D3, D300 and 1DsIII to mention just some -  to the thread on this site under the Aperture heading re: D300 etc..

Not to bore on too much about it but when I visited the "Aperture Users' Professional Network"
to ask about this and hoped to bring it to the attention of Apple people whom one might hope would relate to a forum with that name a bunch of 'fanboys' told me that:
a) nobody should buy a new model until Apple supported it,
 Apple would do this when they were good and ready and not before - but one should be grateful
c) Nobody needed RAW because the writer himself didn't use it and he made his living from photography !
d) that I was a 'spoiled rich kid' to be able to afford a new model camera.

It was also explained that there were 'technical problems' about updating such support - as if as a customer that was relevant to me.

I have used Aperture for 2 years and much prefer it to Lightroom but I have no option - as will be the case of users of several other models - but to change. Especially so as there appeared to be no news in the Steve Jobs Show yesterday to indicate progress for Aperture - at least not that I have read so far.

I guess downloading movies is much more profitable than returning the loyalty of Aperture users who were assured in the early days that this programme would be seriously promoted as Mr Jobs himself was a very serous photographer and was putting personal backing behind it - silly us.

Apologies for the rant but it is very frustrating - and it makes me feel a little better at least.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 10:41:30 am by Krug »
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

GregW

• http://
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 12:26:16 pm »

To be 100% clear for the OP.

Providing you are using an up to date version of Tiger or Leopard G9 RAW files are NOT supported but JPG's are.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 05:47:20 pm »

Just got a G9 and noticed that when I connect the camera to my mac (running OS10.4.10) the card inside is not mounted on the desktop and the MAC doesn't recognise it as a external disk.  If I remove the card from the camera and plug it into the mac via a card reader then it is recognised as a Canon Disk with the usual folder hierarchies.

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167512\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Install the Canon software that came with the camera.  This includes ImageBrowser and Camera Window as well as Remote Capture DC, allowing you to both download your images and control the G9 from your computer.
Gerald J Skrocki

pflower

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 07:16:34 pm »

Yes this recognises the camera and allows downloads.  I also have some Nikon software on the computer which recognises the camera as does Light Room.  I am just curious why the camera itself is not recognised by the Mac as an external disk.  My Nikons are recognised as are the Sony cameras I have which date back to 2002, but the canon isn't.  The disk inside the camera is recognised when it is loaded via a card reader but not when it is in the camera.   Problem is that the chances of keeping the little card reader without dropping/losing/leaving it behind is a certainty.  

Oh well.  You can't have everything, but this seems to me to be weird.

Install the Canon software that came with the camera.  This includes ImageBrowser and Camera Window as well as Remote Capture DC, allowing you to both download your images and control the G9 from your computer.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167859\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 08:03:10 pm »

If the camera isn't designed to function as a USB card reader, you may not be able to use it as one. If you have installed the Canon camera driver and still can't see the card in the camera as a mounted drive, then you're most likely SOL.

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 08:06:08 pm »

Would you care to elaborate? If Canon didn't include card reader functionality in the camera (the ability to acces the card in the camera through the USB port) then no amount of whining to Apple or anyone else is going to change that. And if it's a driver problem, then Canon is the one with the problem, not Apple.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 08:31:07 pm »

I would refer people with this concern - support for several new cameras including the G9, Alpha 700, D3, D300 and 1DsIII to mention just some -  to the thread on this site under the Aperture heading re: D300 etc..

Not to bore on too much about it but when I visited the "Aperture Users' Professional Network"
to ask about this and hoped to bring it to the attention of Apple people whom one might hope would relate to a forum with that name a bunch of 'fanboys' told me that:
a) nobody should buy a new model until Apple supported it,
 Apple would do this when they were good and ready and not before - but one should be grateful
c) Nobody needed RAW because the writer himself didn't use it and he made his living from photography !
d) that I was a 'spoiled rich kid' to be able to afford a new model camera.

It was also explained that there were 'technical problems' about updating such support - as if as a customer that was relevant to me.

I have used Aperture for 2 years and much prefer it to Lightroom but I have no option - as will be the case of users of several other models - but to change. Especially so as there appeared to be no news in the Steve Jobs Show yesterday to indicate progress for Aperture - at least not that I have read so far.

I guess downloading movies is much more profitable than returning the loyalty of Aperture users who were assured in the early days that this programme would be seriously promoted as Mr Jobs himself was a very serous photographer and was putting personal backing behind it - silly us.

Apologies for the rant but it is very frustrating - and it makes me feel a little better at least.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167556\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My only problem with the rant is it seems to be in the wrong direction ... why aren't we screaming at the camera makers for not standardizing on a RAW format.  Why should Adobe and Apple have to reverse engineer 100's of RAW formats, and change their software every time a new camera is introduced.  Why do camera makers insist on such proprietary control, even to the point of encrypting some of the data?  Why are they trying to force everyone to use their RAW processing software?

It seems that if we can't get everyone to agree on a format, by now we should have a "plug-in" approach to RAW processing.  You buy your camera, you place the manufacturer supplied plug-in into any program you want such as Aperture, ACR, or Lightroom, and your done.  

I personally think the camera manufacturers deserve 100% of the blame here.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 10:32:08 pm »

Yes this recognises the camera and allows downloads.  I also have some Nikon software on the computer which recognises the camera as does Light Room.  I am just curious why the camera itself is not recognised by the Mac as an external disk.  My Nikons are recognised as are the Sony cameras I have which date back to 2002, but the canon isn't.  The disk inside the camera is recognised when it is loaded via a card reader but not when it is in the camera.   Problem is that the chances of keeping the little card reader without dropping/losing/leaving it behind is a certainty. 

Oh well.  You can't have everything, but this seems to me to be weird.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167875\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I really do not see what the problem is. You have the Canon software installed and can download directly from the camera with Camera Window or put the SD card in a card reader to do the same thing. You can plug the camera in your computer and control just about every function on the camera from your computer, complete with a live view on the computer screen. iPhoto will also recognize the G9 and download it's images directly.

You don't like the fact that it does not pop up on the desktop with  a hard drive icon?  Come on.......
Gerald J Skrocki
Pages: [1]   Go Up