Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gigapixel of St. Peterschurch´s dome in Vienna  (Read 4173 times)

julian kalmar

gigapixel of St. Peterschurch´s dome in Vienna
« on: January 16, 2008, 06:21:56 am »

here http://photoartkalmar.com/ZOOMIFY/PETERSKIRCHE.html you can look the Zoomify version (full screen) of the dome of St. Peterschurch in Vienna

For those with very slow internet I added a thumbnail
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 05:39:23 pm by julian kalmar »

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 06:01:57 pm »

Quite an image! I zoomed until the bird in the center of the dome filled my screen. There was still ample detail and no pixelation.

How was the image created?
Jack Varney

julian kalmar

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 04:35:05 am »

Quite an image! I zoomed until the bird in the center of the dome filled my screen. There was still ample detail and no pixelation.

How was the image created?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I did this with 135mm focal length and a Nodalpoint adapter. For all the windows I used different exposures and blend them in PS before the stich.
I didn`t wipe all highlights because in my opignon gold should reflect, and wiping all reflections of the golden parts of the image would make it looking unnatural.
For the complete set I took 253 images and for the stich I used 197 images. All other images I used for exposureblending

FastGlass

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 05:22:42 pm »

Julian,

Where could I find a book on how to do blending and digital manipulation of gigapixel images?

I'm using PTGui but I don't know how to adjust individual images so they blend in without obvious differences.

Thanks,

FG

julian kalmar

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 03:39:32 am »

Julian,

Where could I find a book on how to do blending and digital manipulation of gigapixel images?

I'm using PTGui but I don't know how to adjust individual images so they blend in without obvious differences.

Thanks,

FG
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168648\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I´m quite sure that you will not find any book, but I can try to explain what I´m doing:
First thing: The shooting

Every image should have the same exposure and WB (which of course is not possible in most cases)
So,  every image which is seriously over or under exposed, you have to make with exposurebracketing and blend them in PS BEFORE the stich. Don`t use HDR tecnique. This will result in unnatural colors for this image.

First step on the computer:
Open the different exposures in PS and create one image with say 4 layers ( if you took 4 exposures) and take from every layer what you need. With this way you will get one correct exposed image. Use this image for stiching.
(In my image of the churche`s dome I had to do this for 51 images)

Second step on the computer:
open and align the images in PTGui.
Still you will notice many color and exposure steps. This is a result of changing light situation during the shooting.
Now you will see that it is absolutely necessary to shoot everything in RAW files.
open the firs image with color or exposure step in PS.
Open the Raw file a second time with your raw converter with corrected exposure and WB  and make the same thing as in the first step. Save it.
Now you can do the following to control what you did:
Remove the image in PTGui and then do "undo removing" at once. PTGui will reload this image but this time it is corrected and you can see if the correction you did was enough.
The same you have to do for every image with a seriosly step.

Third step:
Create the image.

4th step:
Adjust the image in PS and make a good finish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up