Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jpeg Output Question  (Read 2070 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Jpeg Output Question
« on: January 15, 2008, 10:06:54 pm »

Ok - so you have your finished .CR2 RAW file developed in LR - ready for export to JPEG for the web.

Question - is it better to export to jpeg in LR - which will perform a conversion from Pro Photo to SRGB and re-scale and output to jpeg.

Or..

Export to CS3 as a Tiff in Pro Photo, then convert to SRGB, re-size and then sharpen with Photo Kit Sharpener and then save for web as jpeg.

I assume option 2 is going to give a better result as its sharpening for the specific output. Where as LR is performing no sharpening of the image specific to the jpeg output.

Option 2 is more work.. but a better result.

Thoguhts?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 10:07:27 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Jpeg Output Question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 01:01:48 am »

Given that web output is usually low-res anyway, I'd save yourself the extra trouble, but YMMV.  The real question is, can someone tell the difference between the two methods if they're looking at say a 600 pixel image through a web browser (probably on an uncalibrated monitor)?

My $0.02

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
Jpeg Output Question
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 08:18:00 am »

Without a doubt individually hand crafting the images is going to give you a better result but the convenience of just exporting from LR is what I appreciate.

Mike is right that most people looking at your website aren't going to notice any difference so why do all the extra work?

Personally I think it's more important to change your web content frequently to at least give the illusion of lots of new work rather than having great jpegs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up