Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D300 NEFs and Adobe Bridge CS3 (2.1.1.9)  (Read 11598 times)

Raw shooter

Nikon D300 NEFs and Adobe Bridge CS3 (2.1.1.9)
« on: January 15, 2008, 01:51:03 pm »

The problem is only with Nikon D300 NEFs and Bridge CS3.
Any folder containing Nikon D300 NEF files, being viewed from Bridge CS3, has performance and stability problems.  The performance is very, very slow - almost a screen freeze, but Bridge will catch up if left alone for about 30 seconds.
The thumbnails, when resized, lose their rendered color (the NEFs have been processed in ACR 4.3.1, Custom WB, exposure - saved in XMP), and again Bridge just struggles to manage the files.
The slideshow doesn't work, or if it starts its performance is too slow to actually use.

I have uninstalled Photoshop CS3, re-installed everything without any change.
I have uninstalled trhe NVIDIA drivers, upgraded to a new driver, had to profile the monitor again - but still everything with Bridge CS3 and Nikon D300 NEFs is still wrong.

Any other folder, with Nikon D200 NEFs, works great with fantastic performance.  Any folder with JPG or TIFF copies works great as well.

On Adobe's Forums there are postings on this problem with Nikon D3 NEFs.

Any insight on this problem would be welcomed.  Thanks in advance.

TMcCulley

• http://
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 02:16:31 pm »

I use a D300 and I am running PS CS3 under XP sp2 on an Alienware 17" laptop with an ATI video card and a Dell 24" monitor and I do not have the problem.  I have shot with fine Jpep and raw, just raw, and raw converted to dng  and do not have any performance or stability problems.  

What is your OS and hardware.  I hope this helps.

Tom

PS I just checked and I have no problems with PS CS2 and Bridge CS2

Raw shooter

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 02:44:16 pm »

Tom,

The Nikon D300 NEFs are uncompressed 12 bit.

I have 15 computers, some are Vista (32bit) and most are XP SP2 (32bit).
I have all my images on a server running Windows Server 2003.  Dell XPS laptop with T7600G (ramped to 2.8GHz) running both Vista nd XP (different physical drives changed, not dual boot)

Accessing the Nikon D300 NEFs folder from either a Vista or an XP workstation results in the same poor performance.  XPS laptop, same bad performance.

My main workstation is a Vista based Quadcore, 4 GB RAM, 3 HDs, dual monitor (30 & 24) - each with its own profile loaded.  

This same problem happens if I copy the folder (off the server) of D300 NEFs to the local hard drive © - then access the D300 NEFs straight to Bridge CS3.

Multiple hardware setups, multiple OS, network or local access - with all the same result.

TMcCulley

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 06:54:09 pm »

Tom,

The Nikon D300 NEFs are uncompressed 12 bit.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167377\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I set my camera on 14 bit before I shot a single picture so I have not tried any of the 12 bit formats.

There was an earlier thread that indicated a problem with NVidia drivers and especially the NVidia Desktop Mgr. but I am not sure if this is the same problem as the one you have.  Your setup is substantially more powerful than mine but I have no trouble with any Adobe product.  I am using Lightroom, Photoshop CS3, Bridge CS3, and sometimes Photoshop CS2.  

My point of comparison is a D70 and it's 5.7meg files that were compressed 12 bit and the D300 13 to 16 meg files I get now are just a hair slower.

I know this must be extremely frustrating.  A solid network, capable computer(s), an exciting new camera and problems arise at every turn.  PC, Linux, or Mac none of them have figured out a way to make for truly simple and straight forward user experience.

Tom
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 07:05:29 pm by TMcCulley »

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 10:46:32 pm »

I've shot a mix of 12-bit and 14-bit, always with lossy compression and CS3 seems just fine. I wouldn't want to access them over the network though, they're on a local RAID-5 array. I can't see any difference between how D300 and D2x NEF's are handled by CS3 on my system.

Are you using central/global cache or distributed? I use the latter because I learned a version or two back that the centralized cache had a tendency to be problematic.

I'm running Vista x64 on quad-core with 8GB of ram.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 10:47:08 pm by JeffKohn »
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Raw shooter

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 06:46:41 pm »

I've shot a mix of 12-bit and 14-bit, always with lossy compression and CS3 seems just fine. I wouldn't want to access them over the network though, they're on a local RAID-5 array. I can't see any difference between how D300 and D2x NEF's are handled by CS3 on my system.

Are you using central/global cache or distributed? I use the latter because I learned a version or two back that the centralized cache had a tendency to be problematic.
I'm running Vista x64 on quad-core with 8GB of ram.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167457\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Jeff,

Th D2X NEFs are fine - and I have lots of them. The D100, D70, and D200 NEFs all behave perfectly.  
The D300 NEFs are the only problem of all the Nikon models.  Another problem - the cropping is not properly viewed in the Bridge CS3 thumbnail.  Very strange.

CACHE
The cache is set to 'Export to folders when possible"
The cache size to large.
I even purged the cache 'manually' and deleted the in folder cache without any improvement.

The network is very fast (1000MB/sec, duplex switch), as is the server (Raid 5, 10,000rpm drives).  As I listed on the previous post, even locally downloaded files behave in the same way - so its not a network performance issue (although, I did think that at first, as well!)

TMcCulley

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 09:54:39 pm »

I know that this is obvious but has Adobe or Nikon tech support provided any response?

Tom

Dan Sherwood

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 01:50:44 pm »

Hello,

My thumbnails in Bridge CS3 are not updating (Nikon D300 NEF's).  I found this discussion and want to know if there has been any solutions to this bug?  I've tried all the various cache purges, safe boot, etc.   I'm experiencing the problem on my desktop and on my laptop.

~ Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up