Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iMac vs Apple Cinema Display  (Read 9526 times)

John McDermott

iMac vs Apple Cinema Display
« on: January 14, 2008, 08:14:06 pm »

This is a question that really only Michael can answer (I think).

In the Camera to Print video Michael is using an iMac to process images in Lightroom.

Inasmuch as I am researching what I should buy as an optimal (really good and not too expensive) LCD monitor, I have come across reviews that say that the monitor on the iMac is not really adequate for photographic purposes - i.e., it has too narrow a color space. Conversely, the Apple Cinema seems to get rave reviews in this regard.

Thus my question. If Michael has chosen the iMac, is the display in fact quite adequate for photography, or what?
John E. McDermott

jackbingham

• http://www.integrated-color.com
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 08:58:04 am »

It seems to me that this is more a computer choice then a monitor choice. No doubt the imac is a good computer for a reasonable sum. The cinema display will require a computer. The imac monitor is adequate for photo editing but there are clearly better choices. For one these imacs have a raw brightness, even with the system slider all the way down that is far to bright for most user's working environments forcing you to make the final brightness adjustments in the video card. Not ideal, but again workable. If you have a computer already get the cinema display. If not the imac might be a good economical solution.
Jack Bingham
Integrated Color Corp Maker

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 09:19:58 am »

is the display in fact quite adequate for photography, or what?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167192\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just have seen the imac display and I took the icc- It has about the same colorspace as my old crt Lacie monitor- So it will not show all printable colors- especially blue/green is weak.. At the moment a lot of new monitors show up that are able to show almost the complete Adobe RGB. (maybe also today Apple will reveal new monitors)
 The iMac has a glossy surface in wich you see yourself a bit too much I find.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

scottish

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 03:34:08 pm »

I don't use an iMac or an Apple Cinema Display, but some Mac users have noted that the larger 24" iMac displays produce better color (8-bit vs. dithered 6-bit) and have a wider viewing angle than the 20" displays.  See the Macintosh link below and search for comments from Scott Boone & Mark Booth:

iMac Aluminum Commentary and Tips

I've looked at the 24" aluminum iMac a couple of times in our local Apple Store.  I liked the saturated colors and deep blacks, and the reflections in the new glossy screens didn't distract me.
Aloha,
Scott

dennysb

• http://www.dennysphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 05:32:01 pm »

I am not Michael nor I pretend to be him

But for what is worth, I have both an Imac and a Mac Pro with a 23" Cinema Display. There is no comparison, the color and no reflective screen of the Cinema unit makes it a better choice for image editing IMHO.

The Imac glossy screen bugs me. It is fine for normal use, but when I am working on images can't stand it and don't use it.

It is my understanding (i heard)  Apple went with this type of screen for cost reasons.

DB
Dennys Bisogno
 [url=http://www.de

lumpidu

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 07:07:44 pm »

I have a new Aluminium iMac 24" and in fact the glossiness is really no issue if you are working in normal conditions. Also it has a fairly good viewing angle.

But the brightness is too high, even if you go down with the slider all the way, it is not less than app. 200 cd/m2.
Pages: [1]   Go Up