Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photography And Video From Costa Rica To Come  (Read 32147 times)

robertwatcher

Photography And Video From Costa Rica To Come
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2008, 09:43:17 pm »

CAMERA AT THE HIP (Olympus E-510 w/12-60)

robertwatcher

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2008, 09:53:57 pm »

San Jose central market. All shots Olympus E-510 w/12-60 lens at 1600ISO

Seller of Banana Palm Leaves - I asked if I could take a foto - he agreed and just carried on business as usual as I squatted low to the ground for a better angle

This fellow after finding out I was from Canada, raised his hands and shouted "viva canada"

Lots of imported leather products - probably from China

robertwatcher

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2008, 10:04:33 pm »

Not quite as appealing a view of the San Jose Central Market - from Avenida 1. An old traditional crowded and bustling indoor business center for the city:

---

robertwatcher

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2008, 12:01:51 am »

CHARACTER & CULTURE

robertwatcher

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2008, 07:55:05 pm »

I was asked to take a couple shots of this Tico father with his daughter:

robertwatcher

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2008, 07:56:04 pm »

A Costa Rican girl with her little pup (puppy love)

Hot Tamales

We were asked in to a Tico home and provided with freshly made Tamales (corn dough and beans wrapped in banana leaves) - along with Empanadas stuffed with the Chiverre fruit.

Tons of active and elusive hummingbirds up in the mountains. We were about 5000 feet up the Poas Mountain (9000 feet) this weekend and while I tried to get a decent shots of these darting 4 inch wonders by following by hand and using 1/1250 sec shutter speeds  with a totally inadequate 450mm equiv lens - - - this is the only shot I got of the Rufous-Tailed Hummingbird after trying for several hours.

robertwatcher

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2008, 10:05:45 pm »

THE JEWELRY STORE

Early on in our adventure, I came across a little jewelry store in downtown Alajuela - noticing a pair of delicate "3 gold" earings in the shape of small butterflies, I decided to purchase them and  surprise Anne with a little gift (which she loved and expressed her love to me nicely :wink:wink).

This morning after our dentist visit in Atenas, I phoned my mother and father. Mom asked if I could check around for 2 items that she had lost somehow. One was her engagement ring (from 52 years ago) and the other was a self winding watch that she loved (no batteries and no winding). I told her we would look into it this afternoon when we headed in to the city.

It ended up that our friendly jeweler had 2 "automatic" womens watches in stock - but not a ring as mom has described. I was heading out the door to go home and give mom the descriptions of the watches to see if they suited, when I got the idea that I should take a picture and email the pictures. Much smarter idea.

I asked the lady if she would allow me to do so. She agreed. When I showed her the image on the back of the camera, she said "wow - what a camera". Anne told her that I was a professional photographer and a bit about our Costa Rica project. She got excited and asked if I would take a picture of her mother and her with my "professional camera ". Of course I agreed.

Lighting was quite low with exposures being 1/15'th sec to 1/50'th of a second. She asked if I wanted them behind the counter or in front. I said that it might be nice having them in front - they obliged and came out from behind with their family dog. I took a shot with the dog first and then of the 2 alone. Then the hired watch maker came out from behind the store and so I also took a shot of him behind the counter.

robertwatcher

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2008, 10:07:02 pm »

The mother began to relax when I was done and I saw more beautiful smiles coming from her - - - so I turned the camera just on her while she talked (in spanish) for a couple of closeups. I did the same with the daughter. It was tough getting natural expressions without movement being that the exposure times for these 2 portraits were 1/15'th of a second at 800ISO.

I have also tacked on one of the shots I took of the watch - to send to my mother for her approval. It turned out to be a far better idea than trying to describe by words.

---

NOTHING LIKE HAVING PEOPLE ASK YOU TO TAKE THEIR PICTURE - - - it's something that I'm just not used to at home.

----

robertwatcher

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2008, 12:58:34 am »

3 Night & 4 Day Excursion

We headed up to Arenal Volcano & Monteverde early this week and I was able to photograph a different sort of native Costa Rican - ones who lived in areas that are heavily effected by tourism. Still friendly smiles - but a little more interested in making every buck they could from you while you were there. (I point out again though, that I have not paid anyone to take the pictures of them - - - and that held true in this area of the country also)

Walking down the street I noticed this butcher hauling large sides of meat around his shop and asked his wife if I could take a picture:

Nikon D40 | 18-200VR @ 55mm | f4.8 @ 1/80'th | 1600ISO

Fortunately this steel worker maintained a sober look while I took his picture and then when I was done I waved to him and he returned a big smile and thumbs up:

Nikon D40 | 18-200VR @ 65mm | f6.3 @ 1/640'th | 200ISO

This fellow was our guide for the night excursion through the jungle up to Arenal Volcano to witness the Lava Flow:

Nikon D40 | 18-200VR @ 170mm | f5.6 @ 1/15'th | 1600ISO

robertwatcher

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2008, 01:00:21 am »

Arenal Volcano shown behind the Bull Fighting Ring in La Fortuna (I had to shoot through chain link fence to get this):

Nikon D40 | 18-200VR @ 32mm | f8 @ 1/250th | 200ISO

A taxi driver waiting to snag the tourists as the bus from San Jose arrives:

Nikon D40 | 18-200VR @ 170mm | f5.6 @ 1/200th | 200ISO

These 2 old fellows met in the center of the street to carry on a conversation while traffic went around them:

Nikon D40 | 18-200VR @ 120mm | f5.6 @ 1/250th | 200ISO

robertwatcher

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2008, 01:01:10 am »

I saw this very young girl cleaning up the yard around the hotel property where we stayed the night in La Fortuna. I took a couple of shots without her noticing - - then she saw me and I got to witness your incredible smile - - as I normally am able to do with my digital camera, I showed her and then her mother (who proudly let me know that she was her daughter) - - I then asked the mother if I could take a picture of the 2 of them. This is part of the series:

Nikon D40 | 18-200VR @ 120mm | f5.6 @ 1/125th | 250ISO

Nikon D40 | 18-200VR @ 120mm | f5.6 @ 1/125th | 250ISO

Nikon D40 | 18-200VR @ 70mm | f5 @ 1/125th | 1400ISO

robertwatcher

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2008, 01:02:14 am »

I have had photographers contact me or post on threads I have made, asking how I am able to get people to be so relaxed and comfortable so quickly. Part of my approach is trusting the people which somehow seems to come across when I first point my camera at them or make a gesture implying I'd like to take their picture.

The trust even extends to letting young children handle my cameras and get the "thrill of their life" doing so. After I took the pictures of the young child above, while Anne and I were sitting waiting for our transportation to arrive, I took my camera to the little girl and handed it to her gesturing for her to our picture.

She raised the camera up and looked at the screen of course. I moved the camera eyepiece to her eye, helped her place her left hand UNDER the lens to support it, and her right hand on the shutter release. I went and sat down and directed her to push down on the release - which she had already done as the first picture indicates. For the real shot, I have no idea why I was bending down trying to make sure I was in the picture from the childs low angle - - - but I did. She was so proud of the picture she took and went running to tell her mother all about it - - - of course I had to show the mother, which resulted in a huge smile and hug for the little girl that only proud parent could provide:

robertwatcher

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2008, 01:03:05 am »

FLAMENCO GUITAR PLAYER AT "THE TREE HOUSE" in Monteverde

Very low lighting - movement - 1600ISO and 3200ISO settings

Nikon D40 | 18-200VR @ 18mm | f3.5 @ 1/10th | 3200ISO

Nikon D40 | 18-200VR @ 50mm | f4.8 @ 1/2 sec | 1600ISO

Nikon D40 | 18-200VR @ 22mm | f3.8 @ 1/6 sec | 1600ISO

robertwatcher

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2008, 01:27:22 am »

SO COOL

I had Richard (in Canada) make up a large print of this Eclipse Sequence that I shot while laying on the sidewalk at Norma's Villas ( http://normasvillas.com/ ) where we are living for our 2 month excursion. He printed it on an outdoor plastic so that it could be mounted outdoors if desired.

The print was delivered to me last week and I gave it to Rick (son of Norma) as a gift with a story directly related to our stay at their place. He and his mother greatly appreciated it.

WELL SURPRISE OF SURPRISES TODAY. I find out that Rick and Norma had been considering what to call their new restaurant and bar area - - -and after receiving the Eclipse Print, decided to call it "Norma's ECLIPSE Restaurant and Bar". It officially opened tonight with the Panoramic Print I gave them, proudly mounted in a place visible to all. It feels so good to have been influential in the naming of this place - and the Eclipse theme is so appropriate with a story to boot.

robertwatcher

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2008, 04:04:48 pm »

Thank You All - - - it has been my pleasure posting my little stories and supporting pics. Anne and I have had an incredible time over the last 2 months. UNFORTUNATELY ALL GOOD THINGS MUST COME TO AN END. And we are winding down with only 3 more days left before flying back home early Tuesday morning.

Knowing that many were looking into my regular posts on the forum and some even following regularly and really enjoying our perspective, made the trip even more fun as there was purpose to what we were doing. We will be maintaining the TRAVEL VIRGINS WEBSITE at http://asifweknow.com online into the future for the purpose of any who might find tidbits of valuable information about Costa Rica. Anne and I are already planning for our return next January 2009 for a 3 month stay.

I am so far behind with the many things we have crammed in over the last week - - - and so I will likely have a few more stories and pics to add in the next few days before I complete this thread. But I do thank all who enjoyed and replied. I plan on using some of the replies of encouragement that I have received on this forum, on a special "COMMENTS" page on www.asifweknow.com. I hope nobody minds.

robertwatcher

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2008, 11:22:28 am »

Well I had to take a picture of "Norma's Eclipse Bar and Grill" before leaving.

When I had the 10" x 48" Lunar Eclipse print made up and shipped down, I thought it would be plenty large enough - - - however it looks puny. Rick is quite happy with the size, but I will be printing a much bigger one that will fill the wood area (2'x8') when I get home, and ship that down to him to replace this one. It should be pretty cool. Anyway - Anne and I are pretty jazzed at them using the theme.

Simple opening day menu:

Whole seating area. Behind me is a huge covered area for playing darts, pool tables and ping pong tables:

robertwatcher

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2008, 05:35:46 pm »

THE FINAL GOODBYE

Anne and I are feeling a little emotional today. We both really have mixed feelings of not wanting to leave because we love the country and it suits our lifestyle so well - - - and on the other had we are both anxious to see our family and friends back home in Ontario Canada.

After packing our cloths early this morning, we decided that we wanted to take our last 1/2 hour bus ride into the city of Alajuela that we frequented so often and were we made so many friends as a result of my camera. We wanted to say goodbye to "Black Dog" who was always waiting at the bus depot for us and protectively followed as we walked up the street at nights - and even into local restaurants. We went through the downtown market and said goodbye to our butcher friends and vegetable vendor friends. We had our last Helado (ice cream) cones and Anne got to enjoy the gelatine, helado and fruita combination that she has longed for and never had. We also got to hand deliver our last photographic print to our "Favorite Bus Driver" - the man who though he speaks no English, has looked over us since the first day we bumped into him in Alajuela and asked him how we get our bus home. Such a satisfying walk around the city today.

Late last night we had our last meal at Magic's  108 Flavor Chicken Wing Place. Today we  decided to eat American and go to Pizza Hut. I love the Costa Rican culture even in these places. Example . . .

. . . a whole slew of motorcycles out front of the restaurant for delivery of pizzas. The Costa Rican slant is the drivers doing all of their mechanical work on the bikes - right outside the front door:

All the employees working inside, gathered for a nice send off to us:

robertwatcher

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2008, 05:36:33 pm »

A Street Market Vendor wishes us well (Anne told me later that the 2 guys in behind were wanting a picture of themselves too - but I didn't notice) - with a pat on my back after I showed him the image on the back of my camera:

Fredrico who tried teaching me Spanish on the bus ride home (even though he speaks no English) - waves goodbye as Anne and I leave the bus. I told him that we were leaving tomorrow morning:

On our walk from the bus home, we bumped into these 2 Amigos just out of School heading to Maikol's Supermarket in La Garita

robertwatcher

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2008, 05:37:11 pm »

Even the utilities guys doing repairs outside of Norma's Villas - had their say:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up