Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RAW+Fine Question  (Read 2151 times)

James R

RAW+Fine Question
« on: January 14, 2008, 03:54:48 am »

I selected RAW+Fine for the first time.  I guess I'm confused as to how LR treats jpegs.  I could locate the second file in the library, but both appear as NEF files.  The only difference is a -1 is added to the second pic.  Did I do something wrong when importing these files?  The -1 show in "finder" as the RAW file and the other as a jpeg, but LR doesn't differentiate, other than having a -1 attached to the file name.  

So, what is your workflow when shooting RAW+jpeg?  Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 03:56:46 am by James R »

Marty C

• http://www.shorephoto.com
RAW+Fine Question
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 09:59:25 am »

I selected RAW+Fine for the first time.  I guess I'm confused as to how LR treats jpegs.  I could locate the second file in the library, but both appear as NEF files.  The only difference is a -1 is added to the second pic.  Did I do something wrong when importing these files?  The -1 show in "finder" as the RAW file and the other as a jpeg, but LR doesn't differentiate, other than having a -1 attached to the file name. 

So, what is your workflow when shooting RAW+jpeg?  Any help would be appreciated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167029\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You really do not need to shoot RAW+Jpeg if you are using LR. You can take the RAW image and export it out as a Jpeg. The -1 indicates that you have two files with the same name so it adds the -1 to the second one. I would just shoot RAW, that is all you need.

James R

RAW+Fine Question
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:05:33 am »

You really do not need to shoot RAW+Jpeg if you are using LR. You can take the RAW image and export it out as a Jpeg. The -1 indicates that you have two files with the same name so it adds the -1 to the second one. I would just shoot RAW, that is all you need.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167055\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree, but I was playing around with setting on the D3 and ended up with Raw+jpeg.  I guess my question was more out of not understanding how LR handles this combination.  I've already deleted the jpegs.

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
RAW+Fine Question
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 11:48:45 am »

I selected RAW+Fine for the first time.  I guess I'm confused as to how LR treats jpegs.  I could locate the second file in the library, but both appear as NEF files.  The only difference is a -1 is added to the second pic.  Did I do something wrong when importing these files?  The -1 show in "finder" as the RAW file and the other as a jpeg, but LR doesn't differentiate, other than having a -1 attached to the file name. 

So, what is your workflow when shooting RAW+jpeg?  Any help would be appreciated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167029\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sometimes the in-camera jpg comes in very handy.  Breeze Systems Downloader Pro can be configured so that jpg and raw files are automatically placed in different folders.
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up