Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 custom settings for luster paper?  (Read 2102 times)

marty m

• http://
Z3100 custom settings for luster paper?
« on: January 13, 2008, 06:50:14 pm »

When creating a custom paper for various popular luster papers, which photo paper setting do you all use with the Z3100.  I assume Photo SG/Satin.  But do you use standard, or more ink, or less ink?

In one of the technical papers, HP recommends the setting of Less Ink for Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl Paper.

But which setting do you all use for Epson Luster 260 (the new heavier luster in 24" rolls) or with the less expensive Ink Jet Arts Micro Ceramic?  For Moab Lasal Luster?

And what do you look for to determine which ink setting to use?  Why one rather than another?  

Is the issue that if too much ink is used it either smears, or can contribute to the build up and clogging of ink on the print heads?

So if standard and less ink both look alike, should we always opt for less ink?

Finally, I always assumed that Hahn Photorag 308 should logically use the setting for the heavier Fine Art Paper -- greater than 250 in weight.

But the HP tech bulletin directs us to use the standard Fine Art Paper setting for PhotoRag 308 -- even though it is greater in weight than 250.  On the other hand, the tech bulletin does suggest using the setting for greater than 250 in weight with Hahn Photo Rag that is greater in weight than 250 (but that doesn't apply to PhotoRag 308) and also to use the heavier setting for Photo Rag BW.  Even though BW would have same weight, presumably, as standard Photo Rag.  

So the HP recommendations are also inconsistent, adding to the confusion.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:17:29 pm »

I've been using the basic photo semigloss/satin setting for Epson premium luster on my Z3100. I used the built-in spectro to profile it with this setting, and I've been delighted with the results. Color accuracy looks great, and I've had no surface issues like roller marks. I only tried it because I had a full 100' roll sitting around from my Epson 7600, but I may continue using this paper because the gamut and D-max are excellent, and the stipple is less of an issue when it's behind glass and spot-lit.

It might be worth trying the semigloss/satin (less ink) setting just to save a few pennies on ink cost, but at this point I'm not going to bother.

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 09:37:45 pm »

And what do you look for to determine which ink setting to use?  Why one rather than another? 

Is the issue that if too much ink is used it either smears, or can contribute to the build up and clogging of ink on the print heads?

So if standard and less ink both look alike, should we always opt for less ink?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166977\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you using the latest firmware and drivers?  HP hasn't issued a technical doc on non-HP papers for v6 but we assume its the same as v5 of the firmware.

Generally, you limit the ink load to reduce/eliminate buckling of the paper from too much ink or when the shadows are blocking up and you're losing detail.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 09:38:08 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

marty m

• http://
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 02:24:33 am »

Generally, you limit the ink load to reduce/eliminate buckling of the paper from too much ink or when the shadows are blocking up and you're losing detail.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166994\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for your response.  That's what I didn't understand -- when you should reduce the ink load

On a different note, it is confusing that they recommend the standard setting for Photo Rag 308, but the setting for heavy weight for the same Hahn papers that are also at about the same weight.

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 06:42:16 am »

Thanks for your response.  That's what I didn't understand -- when you should reduce the ink load

On a different note, it is confusing that they recommend the standard setting for Photo Rag 308, but the setting for heavy weight for the same Hahn papers that are also at about the same weight.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167020\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is my understanding that the HP Hahnemuhle Smooth Fine Art paper has a different coating than the standard Hahnemuhle Photo Rag.  The HSFA being optimized for the HP Vivera inks and possibly handling a higher inkload.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up