Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, scratches in blacks, 9800  (Read 4522 times)

jreederphoto

• www.reederphoto.com
Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, scratches in blacks, 9800
« on: January 13, 2008, 02:50:35 pm »

Started doing some test prints on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk...print looks
nice, but i notice some faint/light vertical scratches in the black
areas of the prints when they come out of the printer.  Not happening after printing.

I've noticed this before printing with Epson Prem Luster too...but not
very often. Is there some kind of adjustment i can make?

setup:

Ilford Gold Fiber Silk 8.5 x 11 paper
Epson 9800 printer
Advanced Black White setting
Media Setting: Prem SemiGloss Photo Paper
1440 dpi
High Speed Off

thanks

Jordan
Jordan Reeder Photography
[url=http://ww

michael

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 03:41:05 pm »

Check your manual on how to set the platten gap. You're likely getting minor head scuffing because the paper is so thick.

Michael

jreederphoto

• www.reederphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 02:32:49 pm »

Check your manual on how to set the platten gap. You're likely getting minor head scuffing because the paper is so thick.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166947\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the response.  

I changed the platten gap to the "wide" and "wider" setting on the printer control panel, but it didn't seem to make a difference.  

I then tried changing it in the printer software (paper config) to its widest setting...still no change.  The paper thickness is only set to "2", maybe i should raise that?

Anyway, i ran a sheet of Epson Prem Luster through it and its flawless.

I also am noticing some horizontal ink ink smearing in the solid black areas.  (epson luster is fine).  

Anyway, i am out of my test pack so i ordered another one...don't want to order a roll until i get it working right.  I should have tried a sheet using Ilford's profile.  Will do some more testing in a few days.  I like the warmer paper base and weight of the paper for B/W.  But overall if i look at it next to a sheet of Epson Prem Luster, the Fiber Silk looks like its been sitting out on a desk for a day and has gathered some dust, ultra light scratches or knicks on it.  Very subtle...but its there.  Probably just my settings.

My test image is of the eiffel tower at night, so there are some large black areas.  If it was an image say taken in a forest during the day, you wouldn't even be able to see these problems.

I would advise any of you testing new papers to print a solid black test swatch and check it for imperfections, i've seen this a few times with other papers as well.  Kind of like a clean black paint job on a car, black areas will reveal flaws.

I'm not sure why Ilford doesn't list recommended printer settings for people using the Advanced B/W option on the Epsons.  

Thanks

Jordan
Jordan Reeder Photography
[url=http://ww

allenk637

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 03:05:08 pm »

I've been plagued by this problem for several months. The scratches are primarily on the paper, before you ever start printing.  I get it on the leading tranche of 44" and 24" rolls sometimes the scratches continue for 10 feet into the 39 foot roll. I've also seen the scratches on cut sheets of all sizes.  

The problem was so bad I bought more paper from three other vendors hoping to get a good batch. Each supply was bad. So I sent each vendor their paper back so they could all complain to Ilford.  

The vendors tell me that Ilford is aware and fixing the problem... who knows.

Also, I find that the paper is extremely sensitive to scratches post printing. So our policy is to not let anything touch the print, we lay it on clean table and cover it with absorbant paper to cure for 24 hours. This is not ideal.

If the paper did not look fantastic, I would not deal with it because of this issue. But all my clients love it.

Best,
Ken Allen
kenallenstudios.com

Kenneth Sky

• http://
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:52:31 pm »

After using this paper flawlessly for a year on my HP B9180, I cannot get a 13x19 without scratch marks that look like head strikes for the past two months. I've tried levelling the paper path and using pads moistened with distilled water rubbed lightly against the back of the paper (worse). I'm not sure if it's warped paper from the dry winter conditions in my home or changes to the head.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 02:52:57 pm »

I have some recent samples of IGS and it doesn't have any scratches embedded from the factory. It is sheet however perhaps roll on the outer edge is showing scratches pre-printing.

Ilford is prone to deep fine scratches more so than other baryta surface. Both Crane, and Hahnemuhle are not so sensitive to these types of scratches, but still are to wider scratches like nails, or other sheets dropped against the print surface.
I did notice Innova media with similar surfaces to be easily oil damaged by simply touching the surface, which Ilford is less prone to.

I think in any case with Ilford you have to watch out of any abrasion of a sharp nature. If it is happening in packaging then they will have to correct the process at the factory.

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 04:51:13 pm »

Well this is all very discouraging. I've tried the Hahnemuhle and was amazing at how easily it scratched. I was going to use the Ilford as a less expensive alternative for printing an exhibition I have coming up. I was just going to have them mounted on aluminum with no laminating but if everyone is saying it is easier to scratch the Ilford, then I'm going to have to rethink things.
damn
r
Pages: [1]   Go Up