Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: weird z3100 malfunction  (Read 2179 times)

Dward

weird z3100 malfunction
« on: January 12, 2008, 09:59:40 pm »

Any suggestions with this odd problem are appreciated:

My 44" z3100 has developed quite eccentric behavior.  When I attempt to load paper (either roll or sheet), the printer does not grab the paper and load.  The front panel message persistently reads "insert paper...."), indicating that the printer doesn't recognize that I've already inserted paper as usual.  I assumed this was a faulty paper sensor (which was replaced on my first z3100).   However, if I leave the paper inserted for approximately 15 minutes, the printer eventually pulls the paper in.  The laser in the head checks the edge of the paper.  Then the printer expels much more of the paper than is usual--almost all of a 17x22" sheet, and repeatedly insists that the paper is incorrectly loaded, and asks me to correct skew.  When I loaded roll paper, the machine kept checking the edge with the laser, and pulling more and more of the paper through, until I cancelled the load after about 3' of paper had been pushed out.

No matter what I've tried, the machine refuses to accept paper.   I'm using firmware 5.0.0.4, and a Mac G5 with the latest driver, printing through Photoshop CS3.  I've had no previous problems with this printer (my first z3100 had to be replaced by HP when they couldn't fix it---HP was very cooperative about this, btw).

I've restarted the printer, both from the front panel and the rear switch.  I've examined the paper path for obstructions, and I've crawled under the machine to wiggle the paper sensor to make sure it's operating freely.  Nothing has made any change in the odd behavior of the printer.

(I've tried today to download the newest firmware, but the HP site isn't responding--it seems unlikely to me that new firmware would cure the problem, since it was running fine for months with 5.0.0.4, but I ran out of ideas).

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com

Pete Berry

weird z3100 malfunction
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 10:49:46 pm »

Strange coincidence, David, as this same scenario just played out with me and my year-old, many troublefree rolls iPF5000, with an almost new roll of my favorite R.R. Ultra Pro Satin. After several  failures I tried a roll of matte on another spindle, which loaded just fine.

Hmmm... I took a close look at the roll and saw that it was not wound flush with the fixed end-plate on the right - about an 1/8" gap, whereas deeper in it was flush - and that there was some periodic edge denting. I re-spooled it flush as possible, which was quite a trip with 100' or so.

Since then it has loaded on the first go both times I've tried it.

Pete, M.D.

Pete Berry

weird z3100 malfunction
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 10:52:44 pm »

Post deleted - copy of above.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 10:59:25 pm by Pete Berry »

Geoff Wittig

weird z3100 malfunction
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 02:11:31 pm »

This sounds familiar.
The Z3100 has two separate paper sensors. The first is a small spring-loaded plastic thing that projects up into the paper path and is pushed down by the paper when you manually load it. This apparently fails with some frequency, but is easy to replace.
The second is an optical sensor on the underside of the print-head carriage assembly toward the left side as you face the front of the printer. This failed on my machine about two months ago, causing just the behavior you are experiencing. The printer either wouldn't load paper at all, or (with roll paper) it kept advancing the paper while insisting none was loaded.

I got a service visit from two very pleasant and skillful HP techs, who replaced the sensor (while updating my firmware gratis) and I was back in business.

Best of luck.

Dward

weird z3100 malfunction
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 05:48:39 pm »

This sounds familiar.
The Z3100 has two separate paper sensors. The first is a small spring-loaded plastic thing that projects up into the paper path and is pushed down by the paper when you manually load it. This apparently fails with some frequency, but is easy to replace.
The second is an optical sensor on the underside of the print-head carriage assembly toward the left side as you face the front of the printer. This failed on my machine about two months ago, causing just the behavior you are experiencing. The printer either wouldn't load paper at all, or (with roll paper) it kept advancing the paper while insisting none was loaded.

I got a service visit from two very pleasant and skillful HP techs, who replaced the sensor (while updating my firmware gratis) and I was back in business.

Best of luck.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166926\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Geoff.   This sounds like the problem--I checked on the first sensor by removing it from it's position and "blinding" it with my finger--it's sensing fine.  But I have no way to check the sensor in the head, other than to notice that the red laser is working.  I'll suggest your diagnosis to HP tomorrow.  

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
www.dvward.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up