Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gibson  (Read 11808 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Gibson
« on: January 12, 2008, 09:48:03 pm »

Okay, so this isn't even remotely related to photography, but if we can talk about watches, then this is closer in a way.  Gibson has come out with a new 'robot guitar', which uses small USM motors like the ones that are used in lenses (along with a small processor) to automatically 'self-tune' the guitar.  My stepson's the musician in the family, but I thought this was interesting from a technological standpoint...

Mike.

http://www.gibson.com/robotguitar/guitar.html

P.S.  Asus has come out with a new ultra-portable laptop called the 'Eee' - sporting flash memory, a 7" screen and a Linux-based system.  Not for editing, but it's the first flash-memory based laptop that I've heard about...
If your mind is attuned t

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Gibson
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 01:03:05 am »

Well, why not? I quickly found when I started guitar I was going to learn either to play it or tune it, but not both at once. The amazing thing is the light weight of the tuners. As a nylon string player, head weight is a real issue, and tuning can be a real cow as weather conditions change. On the other hand, tuning can be a useful time waster when tired, but this innovation doesn't stop one double checking :-)  Good on Gibson. Maybe this will be available one day for classical guitar.
 Apropos of nothing in particular, I was reminded yesterday how important it is to enjoy what you do. Four hours playing at a wedding in 35 degree C heat, but with a gorgeous flute player and though the fingers were a bit sore was quite pleased and could relax afterwards. The photographer on the other hand, probably worked nearly as hard and still had the processing to do and wasn't paid cash.  I hope she likes her work too. Cheers, David

Petrjay

Gibson
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:49:22 am »

Having played regularly since 1963, I can say that anyone who has struggled with an out-of-tune instrument without seeking a remedy deserves no more consideration than a photographer who refuses to correct his or her camera's focusing issues. With an electronic tuner, it's already possible to tune a guitar in less time than it takes dancers to return to their seats. Sounds like one more problem that nobody knew existed until the cure appeared.

I'd never thought about this until now, but when I was playing professionally, none of the groups I was associated with would consider playing a wedding, and I was always a staunch supporter of that policy. Now that I'm a photographer, nothing's changed in that regard. I can't help but wonder what it is about weddings. Perhaps it's because I've had so many of my own.

pobrien3

Gibson
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 10:39:33 pm »

If you've achieved even a modicum of skill with a guitar, then to tune it is a matter of seconds and can be easily done by ear.  In any case, the 'innovation' is moot because it's only ever worth buying Fender  

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
Gibson
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:56:05 pm »

If you've achieved even a modicum of skill with a guitar, then to tune it is a matter of seconds and can be easily done by ear.  In any case, the 'innovation' is moot because it's only ever worth buying Fender 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167219\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I prefer fender as well... But it wont' be long until you can buy similar technology on the market outside of the brands.

Rob C

Gibson
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 03:02:13 pm »

I was bought a guitar when I was eleven years old. After my first lesson the teacher told me that I might fare better with a fixed pitch instrument. He was right: the gramophone is much more reliable.

Rob C

Colorado David

Gibson
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 11:35:17 am »

Fender/Gibson debate?  Is this going to go four pages?  It's the Canon?Nikon debate of electric guitars.    I owned and played both.  I still have two Strats.  I sold a Gold top Les Paul and have regretted it ever since. Horses for courses.  I really prefer my Martin D-35.  I've got a serious case of guitar lust for the Martin 12 fret, slotted head, small dreadnaught body guitar with herringbone trim.

Petrjay

Gibson
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 03:56:53 pm »

Yeah, this "brand tribalism" stuff can be a bit much. My first guitar was a '59 Strat, which I sold in a fit of stupidity for $150; I also sold my Les Paul Custom for what it was actually worth, but it was a great instrument as well, and I wish I still had it. Besides, a good musician can do wonders with whatever's put in front of him. When I was a teenager, I used to hang out with a guy who eventually went on to win two W.C. Handy Awards for Best Blues Guitarist, and he changes guitars like (most) people change their underwear. Either you have it or you don't, and the trendiest or most expensive axe in the world isn't gonna play itself.

pobrien3

Gibson
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 12:10:01 am »

Fender/Gibson debate?  Is this going to go four pages?  It's the Canon?Nikon debate of electric guitars.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167568\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Why not, at least it's only a choice of two?     These fora are devoted to that very postulate - Epson / HP, Hassy / Mamiya, Phase / Leaf, matt / gloss, etc. etc ad nauseum.

So at least I felt moved to contribute on this one, I'm bored with those other recycled debates.  I have a Patrick Eggle custom electric because it was made for me and it fits (sounds average, needs all new electrics); two strats (one old but worthless, rather like it's owner), a beautiful Gibson L4 which I hate, a PRS which is perfect and bland, two book-matched Taylor Anniversary editions, one Taylor 12-string (absolutely stunning), one Taylor Brazilian rosewood limited edition, and a battered old Takamine Santa Fe which still sounds and plays beautifully.  Now all I have to do is learn how to play the bloody things...

Peter

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Gibson
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 01:08:07 am »

Why not, at least it's only a choice of two?     These fora are devoted to that very postulate - Epson / HP, Hassy / Mamiya, Phase / Leaf, matt / gloss, etc. etc ad nauseum.

So at least I felt moved to contribute on this one, I'm bored with those other recycled debates.  I have a Patrick Eggle custom electric because it was made for me and it fits (sounds average, needs all new electrics); two strats (one old but worthless, rather like it's owner), a beautiful Gibson L4 which I hate, a PRS which is perfect and bland, two book-matched Taylor Anniversary editions, one Taylor 12-string (absolutely stunning), one Taylor Brazilian rosewood limited edition, and a battered old Takamine Santa Fe which still sounds and plays beautifully.  Now all I have to do is learn how to play the bloody things...

What... no Martin?                 ;-)

Mike.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 01:08:23 am by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

pobrien3

Gibson
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 01:15:58 am »

Actually I made a bid for one of Eric's old Martins in the Christies New York auctions, but didn't get it.  Just as well I think, the environment here in HK is cruel to guitars!

Petrjay

Gibson
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 12:13:40 pm »

I'ts always been my dream to find one of those old Martins in an unlikely spot. (with an unknowing seller of course) A friend of mine stumbled on one at a yard sale for $18 a number of years ago. I can't remember the model, but it was on the small side. A guy who grew up with my mom had a pre-WWII Martin and a Gibson that had been gathering dust in his attic for God knows how many years. I tried for a very long time to get him to think about selling them, but he always said he was saving them for his kid. (who was close to my own age) I'm sure the guy has passed on by now, and if the "kid" ever went near them, they were probably pawned for beer money. Sad to think that in all likelyhood, they were tossed out.

Rob C

Gibson
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 02:42:13 pm »

Anybody know what Chuck Berry uses?

Rob C

Colorado David

Gibson
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 03:39:49 pm »

Gibson ES335

Rob C

Gibson
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 12:55:36 pm »

Gibson ES335
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=168029\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Muchas gracias

Rob C

mahleu

• 500px
Gibson
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 03:11:55 am »

If you've achieved even a modicum of skill with a guitar, then to tune it is a matter of seconds and can be easily done by ear.  In any case, the 'innovation' is moot because it's only ever worth buying Fender 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167219\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you've ever played a recently restrung 12-string I think you might see the logic of auto tuners.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Gibson
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 10:56:52 am »

Or worse, a hammered dulcimer, which has 50-70 strings...

Petrjay

Gibson
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 09:51:08 am »

When you restring your 12-string, give it an initial tuning, let it sit for a day or so, and tune again. Assuming it was strung correctly and your hardware is in good shape, the strings will have stabilized during that time, and the second tuning will put you in business. If you restring right before a performance, I wish you luck. I use a Borg electronic tuner. It does a great job and it does it very quickly.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Gibson
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 12:44:38 pm »

One trick I've discovered that helps with the re-stringing blues is to replace strings one at a time. When initially tightening a new string, tune it a half-step sharp, and leave it that way while you're installing the next string. Once the next string is in and tuned a half-step sharp, go back to the previous string and re-tune it to its normal pitch. Continue in this manner until all of the strings have been replaced.

Tuning a half-step sharp isn't going to break a string, but it will get a new string stretched out much faster, and you'll have much less remedial tuning to do.

DarkPenguin

Gibson
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 01:39:07 pm »

I used to just pick the guitar up by each string and (carefully) bounce it a little.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up