Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Delaware Water Gap and surrounding areas?  (Read 3433 times)

amody

Delaware Water Gap and surrounding areas?
« on: January 12, 2008, 07:58:26 pm »

Hi,

I am currently planning a trip to Lakota Wolf Preserve in Columbia, NJ for the third weekend in February. This preserve is just 10 minutes from the Delaware Water Gap. I plan to be in the area for two or three days.

I know of the many waterfall and stream scenes the area has to offer, but I don't know how good of a photo opportunity they will be in the winter, or if  the areas are even open (I've seen that roads and trails to a few of the falls close for winter.)

So far, I'm thinking I will get to Bushkill Falls, the Delaware Water Gap itself, and the waterfalls/streams in the George W. Childs Park area, none of which I have any specific information on yet.

Does anybody here have any recommendations for good nature/scenic locations in that general area? I'd like to know what some people who've been to the area have to say!  

Thanks,
-Alex

Allanvet

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 08:31:13 pm »

Childs Park is beautiful but may be a little bleak at this time of the year. Here are some photos I took in the Fall.

http://www.pbase.com/allanvet/childs_park

Enjoy.

Allan

Hi,

I am currently planning a trip to Lakota Wolf Preserve in Columbia, NJ for the third weekend in February. This preserve is just 10 minutes from the Delaware Water Gap. I plan to be in the area for two or three days.

I know of the many waterfall and stream scenes the area has to offer, but I don't know how good of a photo opportunity they will be in the winter, or if  the areas are even open (I've seen that roads and trails to a few of the falls close for winter.)

So far, I'm thinking I will get to Bushkill Falls, the Delaware Water Gap itself, and the waterfalls/streams in the George W. Childs Park area, none of which I have any specific information on yet.

Does anybody here have any recommendations for good nature/scenic locations in that general area? I'd like to know what some people who've been to the area have to say!  

Thanks,
-Alex
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166824\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jay Kaplan

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 06:15:58 pm »

Try finding a copy of Waterfalls of the Mid-Atlantic States by Gary Letcher published by The Countryman Press  www.countrymanpress.com

Jay

kkovak

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 11:19:38 am »

I suggest you look at Dingman's Falls and at the same area Silverthread Falls.  I expect that the huge hemlocks with snow would provide many opportunities in addition to the falls.  Be aware, that depending upon the snowcover the NPS sometimes closes the parking area at the Dignmans Falls visitor center.

A little further north form Dingman is Ravenskill Falls.  You need to walk down a ways from the parking area to see the falls (you will be downstream) and depending upon the ice and snowcover could be a bit slick.

Check out this web site: http://waterfalls.nature.st/Pennsylvania/p...onos-north.html

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up