Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Front feeding Paper for my 3800  (Read 2226 times)

SteveZ

Front feeding Paper for my 3800
« on: January 12, 2008, 01:28:38 pm »

I'm a little embarrased to ask this question as I've had my 3800 for almost a year now, but I just purchased some Harman FB Gloss AL (13"x19", 320 gsm) and wanted to try using the front feeder because of this  paper's thickness and to avoid pizza wheels. This paper is expensive and I want to avoid waste and/or damage to my printer.

The 3800 manual is a bit vague on how to do this. Can someone provide some insight on how I do this? Also, since this paper is thick, do I need to use a cardboard sheet to when feeding it through as Eric Chan suggests on his website?

Thanks in advance!
Steve

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 03:24:44 pm »

Hi Steve,

I would not use the FF with this paper, unless you use a thick backing sheet (e.g., 2-ply mat board) as I mention on my site. Otherwise you will get a fuzzy "ghosted" print.

To use the FF, open the output tray and press in on the FF's release latch. It will spring free. Then you insert the paper (and backing sheet) to the line printed on the right side (this part is illustrated in the manual).

Ask again if you need further clarification ...

Eric
Eric Chan

SteveZ

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 06:00:36 pm »

I would not use the FF with this paper...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166778\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks, Eric, in that case which feeder would you suggest I use for this paper, auto or rear?

picnic

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 06:27:21 pm »

Thanks, Eric, in that case which feeder would you suggest I use for this paper, auto or rear?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166800\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Steve, I used the manual rear feeder for both this and the Ilford Gold Silk--increased to Wide/5 and had no problems at all.

Diane

SteveZ

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 06:35:43 pm »

Steve, I used the manual rear feeder for both this and the Ilford Gold Silk--increased to Wide/5 and had no problems at all.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166808\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Diane

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 11:33:46 am »

The Rear Feed works, as Diane mentioned.

I have also had good success using the Auto Sheet Feed, as long as I place only one sheet in it at a time. (i.e., single sheet feed only, even though the AS Feed can normally hold multiple sheets)

I set Platen Gap to Wide. That's my standard practice for all of my prints, regardless of which paper I use. (For exceptionally thin papers I might make an exception.)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 11:34:25 am by madmanchan »
Eric Chan

picnic

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 11:43:47 am »

The Rear Feed works, as Diane mentioned.

I have also had good success using the Auto Sheet Feed, as long as I place only one sheet in it at a time. (i.e., single sheet feed only, even though the AS Feed can normally hold multiple sheets)

I set Platen Gap to Wide. That's my standard practice for all of my prints, regardless of which paper I use. (For exceptionally thin papers I might make an exception.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166899\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I should say I printed the first Harman paper this way--one sheet with same settings (and after reading some suggestions here, moved to manual/back--also the Ilford info suggests that).  I didn't have any problems and wonder why it isn't as good--any ideas Eric?  They both pull in similarly and advance the same and I saw no issue with the Harman paper which is the same approx thickness as the Ilford.  Its an easier way to feed for sure--though I certainly would not do more than a single sheet because these papers have a relatively fragile surface.

Diane

SteveZ

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 12:50:22 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166808\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Diane, when you say wide/5 for manual feed I can only assume the "5" is the paper thickness setting?
Pages: [1]   Go Up