Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roy Arden exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery  (Read 2489 times)

PSA DC-9-30

Roy Arden exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery
« on: January 12, 2008, 12:28:25 am »

Have any of you visited the gallery to see this exhibit? My wife and I went last Saturday, mostly to see the Georgia O'Keefe and Alfred Stieglitz exhibit. We enjoyed the latter a great deal, but I was left scratching my head more than once over Roy Arden's work. It is obviously highly motivated by his political / social concerns over the cheapening of existence through excessive urbanization. There was more than one series of photos of trash in the gutter (and for those desiring still more of this, there were DVD loops of trash in the gutter as well). There were a few photos of large piles of items on sale at Wal-Mart; and there was one very striking one, which I did find very interesting, of a cookie-cutter track home development in which not a single hint of vegetation or any type of life (exceept a single shadow of the observer) could be seen.

As a biologist, I share his concerns about an ever expanding humanity, but I nonetheless found the exhibit difficult to look at and depressing. This is probably exactly what he had in mind.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, here is a link: http://www.vanartgallery.bc.ca/the_exhibit..._roy_arden.html
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 12:30:30 am by PSA DC-9-30 »

airchinapilot

Roy Arden exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 02:53:32 pm »

I'll be sure to visit. I've been intending to go since it popped up there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up