Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cold weather and cameras.  (Read 5588 times)

helclem

Cold weather and cameras.
« on: January 11, 2008, 03:34:51 am »

Hi there,

I am very new to this site. Hope you can help with this query. I am off to the Antarctica at the end of this year, and taking my digital and film cameras. What tips can you offer for the protection of both. I know I have to keep batteries warm, but other tips welcome. Thank you.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 04:20:22 pm »

Hi There:

This has been discussed before in the forums so you may wish to do a search...

Keeping them out of the water is a good idea!  But seriously, you should consider a drybag when moving from ship to shore, bring a spare body if you have one, and before bringing the equipment from the cold to a warm place, wrap the cameras and lenses in a plastic bag so that condensation forms on the outside of the bag and not inside the camera.  You can find more in a search.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

michael

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 05:52:55 pm »

Be aware that Antarctica is NOT cold in the summer, which is when you'll be visiting – at least not on the peninsula where the tourist ships go. The coldest that you're likely to encounter is -5C, which is warmer than New York on a typical winter's day.

Just keep your gear under wraps when moving between ship and shore by zodiac. A dry bag is OK, but likely overkill, and can make getting into ones gear slow and awkward, especially when actually shooting from the zodiac. A backpack and a plastic lawn trash bag to protect against spray is likely all you need.

You might want to consider a Kata rain cover for your camera. This will protect against blowing snow, and rain, which is just as likely in some locations.

Michael

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 05:29:18 pm »

Be aware that Antarctica is NOT cold in the summer, which is when you'll be visiting – at least not on the peninsula where the tourist ships go. The coldest that you're likely to encounter is -5C, which is warmer than New York on a typical winter's day.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166597\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
With all due respect, you ARE Canadian and 'cold' being a relative concept I'd dare say that -5C is still darn cold to many...most.

Yeah, I'm Canadian too...  and had to wait outside for my girlfriend to bring me a plastic bag when I returned from an outside shoot in this weekend's glorious snowfall. I forgot to pack one.

So, to the OP: The difference in the temperatures can wreak havok on the camera's electronics!! Bring a sealable ziplock bag and save your camera when shooting in cold climes.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 05:45:14 pm by Philmar »

dobson

• http://
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 10:02:11 pm »

I've shot a lot in the cold (as low a -30c) this winter with a 20d and learned from my experiences. My main impression is that cameras can handle cold operating temps really well if you're a little careful.

Condensation, (especially frost), is my main consideration. I make sure never to get the front element near my face. Any breath on the lens will freeze and you just have to wait it out.

Battery life will suffer, but not as much as I feared. I plan to get about 50 percent from each battery.

On multi-day trips, I have to be careful about interior condensation. The easiest way is to avoid warmer temps. I leave the camera in my pack outside the tent and just sleep with the battery.

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 10:14:29 pm »

Here's an interesting post about shooting football in the cold
http://alittlenews.wordpress.com/2008/01/2...onship-part-ii/
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

gunnar1

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 01:17:59 am »

I love to shoot in extremes, particularly cold. A few weeks ago here in Wisconsin, I went out on a Sunday morning when the thermometer read -9F. I had put my bag in my car the night before, sans batteries, so that everything would cool evenly as the car cooled down.

When I was done shooting, I pocketed my card and packed my gear back into my camera bag. I brought it all into the house when I got home, but left the bag closed the rest of the day. By the time I got to my computer to download images, the card was plenty warm from having been in my pocket.

I am excited to head out this coming Sunday morning as the forecast is calling for wake-up temps as low as -7F and wind chills -30 to -40F. These strange clouds form over Lake Michigan when the temps go really low like this that make for some dramatic shots if you can stand the cold!

Pat

reillynevada

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 01:23:35 am »

I shot in Alaska last October -- the wind chill got down to about -30 at night.  Bring spare batteries and keep them close to your body.  I had four batteries, and it was overkill.  You should do fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up