Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: V series and digital  (Read 8050 times)

Bernd B.

V series and digital
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 03:32:47 am »

I did not work a lot with the valeo and Hasselblad V, because soon after buying it I also bought the H3D which I´m using now, so my experiences are limited. I also do jobs with my 5D and my Pentax 67.

My 50 CF FLE with the 32x43mm Valeo was more like a 35mm on a 35mm camera (light wideangle) to me. I took a group picture of five women for a job at f/8-11 which was really sharp.

I did some mediocre tests where I had the impression the 60CF wasn´t so tack sharp wide open. But that was before it was cleaned by Zeiss. I know of a famous german car photographer who does great shots with an older 60mm and Leaf backs.

I need some time to get experiences on equipment. I bought too much during the last six months. I need at least another year to give good comments on all the lens/back combinations.

Bernd,
How do you like the 50CF?
That is the one lens I have mixed feelings about due to its (nervous) rendering of out-of-focus areas. Is that just me?

Since the Aptus-17 has a crop factor of 1.3, the 50mm gets close to a normal lens, so I use it a lot.

How do you like the 60mm in comparison to the 50?

Bye,
Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167168\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

patrickfransdesmet

V series and digital
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 03:53:38 am »

I have a 503 CW with Phase One P20
works fine, But I 've noticed that one 503 is not the other
sometimes you focus the image in the viewfinder and think its sharp, then on the CCD it's not ! On another 503 I do not have this problem
I recall that hasselblad use to have fine "slices" of frames to put between your body and MFDB, to adjust the precise focus
On film, this is not an issue, but a CCD is more sensible to the correct focus
so be ware !
otherwise nice results, the lenses are top, and prove to be perfectly suitable for digital too

I work out of hand, sometimes at 1/15 sec, but I always use the mirror lock-up first
I did weddings, street candids in available light
ISO is not that of an issue since you can easily correct a lot in C1
You have to UNDER expose -2 stops in comparison with film to get the same results

I found the Sinar e75 better than my P20 or even P45, for skin tones, lips colour and accuracy in general.
I would by the sinar, when you change your camera, you just have to buy another adapter for it, Phase does not do this, you have buy another back or exchange it

Bernd B.

V series and digital
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 04:19:06 am »

I have a 503 CW with Phase One P20
works fine, But I 've noticed that one 503 is not the other
sometimes you focus the image in the viewfinder and think its sharp, then on the CCD it's not ! On another 503 I do not have this problem
I recall that hasselblad use to have fine "slices" of frames to put between your body and MFDB, to adjust the precise focus
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167270\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did you ever swap the focussing screens?

They can be out of adjustment as well.

patrickfransdesmet

V series and digital
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 06:15:30 am »

Did you ever swap the focussing screens?

They can be out of adjustment as well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=167272\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes I did, but it must be really the distance between body and MFDB that is different.

Paul Barker

V series and digital
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 07:49:22 am »

I use a P25 on 500 series cameras, 503CW and 555ELD. Couldn't be happier. Love the simplicity, MF, WLF, rotating the back rather than camera and lenses.

Regarding focus issues, before the 25 I used a Lightphase on a 503CX and it did front focus a little. However, after taking it along to a Hasselblad free service 'clinic' at a local dealership, the engineer adjusted the focus screen and it was much better although still not quite spot on. He used the fours screws in the corners whilst the camera was on a jig which presumably lowers and raise the screen. Perhaps this can be adjusted to match the focus with the back. I don't know if it was the Lightphase or CX which was out (changed backs and cameras at the same time), but my two newer bodies, the CW and ELD with the 25 are spot on.

lance_schad

V series and digital
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 10:07:56 am »

One thing that has caused people problems in the past with focus on their 5xx series cameras with focus has been the mis-installation of the clear plastic masks. Sometimes they could be installed and not be flush under the ground glass and cause the focus screen to be off a little.
Also I have had many occasions with the where someone played with the diaopter when the photographer was aware of it.
Just my two cents.

On another note if you were looking to get use out of your v-series again, we do have a bunch of Phase refurbished ones available.

Have a good day.

Lance
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up