Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HP "System Maintenance Tool"  (Read 12332 times)

BrunoW

• http://
HP "System Maintenance Tool"
« on: January 10, 2008, 05:52:04 pm »

Hi

When I try to install HP's System Maintenance Tool for my DJ 130nr I get an error message "Error creating folder. 1008:9,-5000 Access denied error".

The file "hp syst maint install" currently sits in the Place "Applications"; there I double-click it.

I did not have any problem installing applications this way, so far.

Any idea?

Bruno

francois

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:50:36 am »

Hi

When I try to install HP's System Maintenance Tool for my DJ 130nr I get an error message "Error creating folder. 1008:9,-5000 Access denied error".

The file "hp syst maint install" currently sits in the Place "Applications"; there I double-click it.
I did not have any problem installing applications this way, so far.
Any idea?

Bruno
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166399\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Have you tried to repair disk permissions? If not, then use Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities), select your HD and repair disk permissions (it might take a few minutes). Sometimes, installers can modify permissions.
Francois

BrunoW

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 11:39:07 am »

Thanks François

unfortunately it did not fix the problem.

Bruno

francois

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 11:59:28 am »

Thanks François
unfortunately it did not fix the problem.
Bruno
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166526\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Are you logged with an admin account?
Francois

francois

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 12:06:11 pm »

I just found this HP support case (issue #6). Although it's about different printers it might still help you.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:07:04 pm by francois »
Francois

BrunoW

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 01:21:14 pm »

Yes, I have admin rights - I'm the only user.

The HP support case you refer to is not only about different printers, it seems to be about an outdated and different software product, too. But it seems to be almost the same error message (but maybe this only tells us how specific the error message is). Bottom line says "The issues above have been reported to Hewlett-Packard and are currently under investigation". Not very encouraging.

It seems strange to me, that I could not find other people reporting the same problem. As a Mac newbie I might be part of the problem.

Bruno

francois

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 02:20:06 pm »

Yes, I have admin rights - I'm the only user.

The HP support case you refer to is not only about different printers, it seems to be about an outdated and different software product, too. But it seems to be almost the same error message (but maybe this only tells us how specific the error message is). Bottom line says "The issues above have been reported to Hewlett-Packard and are currently under investigation". Not very encouraging.

It seems strange to me, that I could not find other people reporting the same problem. As a Mac newbie I might be part of the problem.

Bruno
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166550\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Have you tried to copy the installer from the CD to your hard disc and perform the installation again?
Francois

BrunoW

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 03:17:17 pm »

the installer is not on CD, but downloaded from the HP website.

francois

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 05:47:30 am »

the installer is not on CD, but downloaded from the HP website.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166577\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Bruno,
Sorry for not being more helpul…

On my MacBook Pro (Mac OS X 10.5.1), I found an HP System Maintenance application. I don't know if it works with your 130nr. It's located here: /Library/Printers/hp/hp designjet system maintenance
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 05:49:09 am by francois »
Francois

BrunoW

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 08:10:52 am »

François

thanks for insisting on my pursuit for a solution

I feel we're getting closer.

If I get you right: you say that the HP system maintenance is working on your system with exactly the same OS. This should rule out a problem with the installer file itself.
So I assume the problem should to be either with the system or with the user - right?

I checked my system (Mac Pro; OSX 10.5.1) and I find:

System/Library/Printers/hp/designjet:
- hp_designjet_pde.plugin
- libdjHPUtils.13.2.dylib

The file I try to install is "hp sys maint install"

Wherever I copy this file, when I double-click it, it starts the installation process and ends-up with the error window I mentionend

Any clue? Is there a mistake in how I try to install it? Should the installer-file be placed in a different location?

I copied it to "System/Library/Printers/hp/designjet" and started the installation process- error
I created a directory "system maintenance" in "System/Library/Printers/hp/designjet"  - error
I copied the installer file to the directory "system maintenance" which I have just created - error ...

Bruno
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:16:26 am by BrunoW »

francois

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 11:21:26 am »

François
thanks for insisting on my pursuit for a solution

I feel we're getting closer.

If I get you right: you say that the HP system maintenance is working on your system with exactly the same OS. This should rule out a problem with the installer file itself.
So I assume the problem should to be either with the system or with the user - right?

I checked my system (Mac Pro; OSX 10.5.1) and I find:

System/Library/Printers/hp/designjet:
- hp_designjet_pde.plugin
- libdjHPUtils.13.2.dylib
InstallsThe file I try to install is "hp sys maint install"

Wherever I copy this file, when I double-click it, it starts the installation process and ends-up with the error window I mentionend

Any clue? Is there a mistake in how I try to install it? Should the installer-file be placed in a different location?

I copied it to "System/Library/Printers/hp/designjet" and started the installation process- error
I created a directory "system maintenance" in "System/Library/Printers/hp/designjet"  - error
I copied the installer file to the directory "system maintenance" which I have just created - error ...

Bruno
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166693\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Bruno,
I am at home with another Mac (also upgraded to Leopard) and this one didn't have the HP related folders.  I managed to get the HP application by installing the HP Printer Drivers from the optional installs Leopard DVD (a 772 MB install).

Unfortunately, when I launch the application, it exits immediately with an error message (see enclosed screenshot). There's also error messages in the console (see other screenshot). I would also add that my MacBook Pro and my other Mac were upgraded from Tiger so some bits and pieces may have been present from the previous system. I also tried to launch the application as root (super admin) but it fails in the same way as described above.

As a side-note, all the folders were in /Library/Printers and not in /System/Printers
In /System/Printers I only have 4 folders (IOMs, Libraries, PMs, PPDs). In the /Library/Ptiners/hp/designjet folder, I have  three files: libdjHPUtils.13.2.dylib, hp_designjet_pm.plugin and hp_designjet_pde.plugin.

I'll try to find some more information but it ain't easy.
Try to do the optional install mentioned above and see if things improve.

[attachment=4607:attachment][attachment=4608:attachment]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:26:16 am by francois »
Francois

BrunoW

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 11:53:07 am »

Good news, François:

I installed the HP printer drivers from the CD optional installs - and this time the system maintenance  installer worked fine!

Congratulations!

(Where did you find this information?)

However, here follows the stupid beginner's question: where do I start the maintenance utility? Under "Applications" I only find the installer ...

There is an icon on the desktop which links to a window "HP printer utility", which only shows the installed printer.

And, as a side note: no folder "system maintenance" can be found under any of the two "library" directories.

Can I ask you for another helping hand?

Bruno
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 12:28:13 pm by BrunoW »

francois

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 12:29:26 pm »

Good news, François:

I installed the HP printer drivers from the CD optional installs - and this time the system maintenance  installer worked fine!

Congratulations!

However, here follows the stupid beginner's question: where do I start the maintenance utility? Under "Applications" I only find the installer ...

There is an icon on the desktop which links to a window "HP printer utility", which only shows the installed printer.
And, as a side note: no folder "system maintenance" can be found under any of the two "library" directories.

Can I ask you for another helping hand?

Bruno
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166735\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would go into the System Preferences, then click on Print & Fax. There, you should see your printer. Double-click on your printer and this should open it. A window should be displayed on your monitor with a few buttons on the top of the window (Delete, Hold, Resume, etc). I only have an Epson printer here, so I assume that with your printer you'll see the same buttons. On the right side of the button row you should find an icon labelled Utility. This, in theory, should launch the utility application.
If it doesn't work, you can "dive" into the /Library/Printers/hp/ folder (if you're lazy, just copy the bold text, go into the Finder, press CMD + Shift + G  , paste it and click Go). You should finally see a folder named hp designjet system maintenance. The utility is inside that folder (at least on my current Mac and IIRC on my MacBook Pro as well).

Lt me know if it helps.
Francois

BrunoW

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 12:47:48 pm »

been there, done that

- the HP printer utility window only shows the installed printer
- there is no directory named "system maintenance"
- a search with the keyword "maintenance" did not bring-up anything of value

francois

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 01:09:31 pm »

- the HP printer utility window only shows the installed printer
I'll show you the one I currently have (Epson connected via FW). Be sure to double-click the printer icon in the Print & Fax control panel (System Preferences). It's icon should be in your dock.

- there is no directory named "system maintenance"
Here, it's called hp designjet system maintenance (see screenshot) for the exact path. It's not located in the System folder but in the Library folder.

- a search with the keyword "maintenance" did not bring-up anything of value
Won't work as Spotlight doesn't go into system stuff.

Again, let me know if it helps. I must go out now but will read the forum tomorrow morning!
Good luck!

[attachment=4610:attachment][attachment=4611:attachment]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 01:10:26 pm by francois »
Francois

BrunoW

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2008, 01:45:13 pm »

well

this time I got it. However: under system/library/printers/hp/hp designjet maintenance utility

I was always looking under hP/designjet ...

Unfortunately: when I start it, the following message appears: "The "HP Designjet system maintenance utility" has not been able to start.
Reinstalling all the software that came with your printer will likely solve the problem. Otherwise, please contact HP." Looking familiar, huh?

I wonder what "all the software" means (I can't find the CD that probably came with the printer ...)

So, starting the next round ...

My goodness, who said Mac was easy?

BrunoW

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 02:35:17 pm »

meanwhile Ireinstalled the printer, reinstalled the driver and reinstalled the system maintenance utility.

Unfortunately no change.

I wanted to contact HP support: unavailable (as most of the time)

I'm afraid we're stuck, until maybe I could get an answer from HP.

Thanks a lot for your assistance!

Bruno

francois

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 05:43:00 am »

meanwhile Ireinstalled the printer, reinstalled the driver and reinstalled the system maintenance utility.

Unfortunately no change.

Bruno
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166770\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Bruno,
I'm sorry to hear that you're still stuck. You've been doing more than your homework. HP support has always been a hit & miss thing (more misses for me) but sometimes they proved very helpful.

The only - unreasonable - thing I would try if I had nothing to do a for a couple of hours would be to install Tiger (+ printer drivers) on an external drive, boot my Mac on that drive and see if the HP application works. In any case, it would only prove that your issue is Leopard related - or not.

Good luck and keep me posted!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 05:44:46 am by francois »
Francois

gkroeger

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 01:09:30 pm »

Unfortunately no change.

Bruno
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166770\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bruno:

On thing you might wish to try (and this is an approach that can be used to diagnose other problems) is to create a new administrative user account, log into that account, and try doing the installation.  This will tell you whether the problem is with your system in general, or just something wrong with your user account.

Glenn

BrunoW

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 01:13:19 pm »

Thanks Glenn

I'll ask my son to do this as he's much more familiar with these procedures - unfortunately he will not be available for 1-2 weeks now.

Bruno
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up