Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loudspeaker Interferance?, Epson 9880  (Read 3279 times)

Shawn

Loudspeaker Interferance?, Epson 9880
« on: January 10, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »

Hi All,

In the process of setting up my new Epson 9880 and came across, in the manual, not to locate near stereo, "loudspeakers" or other electronic devices", cordless phone etc...

Anyone know what kind of distance is needed to maintain? I have a stero system in the studio and a couple of large speakers that would be within ten feet of the printer. Is this an issue to be concerned with?

Otherwise I will have to forego the musci at work...

Thanks,

Shawn

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 05:18:09 pm »

10 feet is fine.  3 feet is pushing it.

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 05:20:03 pm »

Hi All,

In the process of setting up my new Epson 9880 and came across, in the manual, not to locate near stereo, "loudspeakers" or other electronic devices", cordless phone etc...

Anyone know what kind of distance is needed to maintain? I have a stero system in the studio and a couple of large speakers that would be within ten feet of the printer. Is this an issue to be concerned with?

Otherwise I will have to forego the musci at work...

Thanks,

Shawn
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166381\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As a rule of thumb I would suggest a distance of between 1-2 metres, and that really is a guess as there is no real way to determine how the two items will interact electromagnetically except by trial and error. Your greatest issue will be vibration as a result of sound waves from the speakers causing small vibrations in the printer sufficient to impact on dot placement accuracy. As the print head will have resonant frequencies it wouldn't necessarily require loud music to affect the print quality.

As you say, you may need to forego music whilst you print. However, trial and error will be the only way to find out.
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

Shawn

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 07:11:01 pm »

As a rule of thumb I would suggest a distance of between 1-2 metres, and that really is a guess as there is no real way to determine how the two items will interact electromagnetically except by trial and error. Your greatest issue will be vibration as a result of sound waves from the speakers causing small vibrations in the printer sufficient to impact on dot placement accuracy. As the print head will have resonant frequencies it wouldn't necessarily require loud music to affect the print quality.

As you say, you may need to forego music whilst you print. However, trial and error will be the only way to find out.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166396\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks!

I have now got the studio re-arranged to allow more space. We are at about 10 feet now, so that should work out fine.

I never thought about the print head vibration issues...new studio rule: Printer running music not!

All the best,

Shawn

seangirard

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 07:40:11 pm »

I would think at a distance of ten feet you would really have to crank it for vibration to be a problem. The vibration caused by the machine itself in use on the stand must be greater by at least an order of magnitude?

I say bring back the music, just don't turn it up to eleven.

-sean

Thanks!

I have now got the studio re-arranged to allow more space. We are at about 10 feet now, so that should work out fine.

I never thought about the print head vibration issues...new studio rule: Printer running music not!

All the best,

Shawn
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166404\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Shawn

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 07:52:03 pm »

I would think at a distance of ten feet you would really have to crank it for vibration to be a problem. The vibration caused by the machine itself in use on the stand must be greater by at least an order of magnitude?

I say bring back the music, just don't turn it up to eleven.

-sean
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166407\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Once again, thanks...I'll keep the music at ten and bring it back on your advice, but hey, got your name spelled wrong, don't you? By the way what printer are you running?  

Just wondering as I have a bit of learning to do here..all help is welcome.

Shawn

seangirard

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 08:05:50 pm »

I run a 7800 and we proof on a 9800 at work. I think they the have some tolerance for shake... just don't stick a sub woofer right next to the print heads. Of course, I just have dinky computer speakers in my office so I could be full of it.

Electrical interference is always something to watch out for with any equipment but it doesn't sound like you should have a problem with that. I do like to put computers and monitors and stuff on a power conditioner but I don't think I have the printer on one.

Yesterday a colleague was showing me how this die-cutting device seems to knock out his iPod and he figures it is RF interference. Who knows.

Sean Connery spells his my way, so 'nuff said about that:)

Once again, thanks...I'll keep the music at ten and bring it back on your advice, but hey, got your name spelled wrong, don't you? By the way what printer are you running? 

Just wondering as I have a bit of learning to do here..all help is welcome.

Shawn
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166409\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 08:08:13 pm by seangirard »

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 08:57:13 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166396\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't despair, no need to abandon your music...
It's a situation that has been dealt with successfully 'since the dawn of time' in recording studios, testing and production facilities, et.al.     re: vibration from speakers - need to simply look at decoupling the speakers from their supporting surfaces.   In the 1940's - fighter plane manufacturers used thick rigid foam inserts to mount their engines on for testing.  Recording studios have a large range of materials (see  'Sorbothane' /Acoustical Solutions, et.al.  for vibration isolation pads).  Other manufacturers have even designed structural isolation pads for decoupling entire recording rooms / concert areas from the remainder of the structure - with great success.  Unless you have mega-ported speakers, pointed directly at the printer (10 ' away) - chances are you'll bleed at the ears before affecting the printer).
re: vibration from printer affecting other equipment (and itself) - see 'vibration isolation pads' (some even wonder if mounting a large printer on isolation pads reduces the intensity of the 'shock' when the print head reaches the end of it's traverse, and reverses direction - reducing wear /tear /calibration problems).

re: interference -  again, the recording industry suppliers have a number of possible solutions, if you find them necessary (but at 10' I doubt you will) to create a 'shielding' for any kind of speaker you might have.

Just out of curiosity - what are we talking about here - book shelf speakers with 25 watts /channel or  Fiat-sized concert monitors run by Crown-like pro-amps > 1,000 watts/channel?
AC/DC or Bach?  

And of course - the ultimate determinant ....
does playing LOUD music impact the quality of your prints?

If so - and normal isolation pads don't work - buy an air table for the printer (if they can support an electron microscope - a printer should be no problem).

titus bear  (who at an 'advanced' age IS having problems determining if it's AC/DC or a chain saw I'm listening to...)

marcmccalmont

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 03:03:32 am »

Most loudspeakers are coupled directly to the floor (spikes) thus they transmit vibrations to all corners of the room (acoustically and mechanically) I decouple speakers that I manufacture with vibration isolation feet manufactured by a company that sells materials to damp submarines. Send me an email with your address I'll send you a few (1foot per 5-8 lbs) much better than sorbothane it stores energy (bounces) these dissipate energy (they don't bounce)

Marc
mach1acoustcs@hotmail.com
Marc McCalmont
Pages: [1]   Go Up