Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can someone help me? greenspots!  (Read 2368 times)

htony

can someone help me? greenspots!
« on: January 10, 2008, 11:38:53 am »

I hope this forum is the proper place,  I simply don't know where else to post it

I keep seeing these green spots in my photos.  They keep showing up in the shots I take at night.  I don't see them in daylight photos.

the camera is a Nikon D50

I have cleaned the sensor by following instructions. (eclipse solution and sensor swabs)

any thoughts?
[url=http://picasaweb.google.com/tbharde

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 12:23:03 pm »

Two thoughts.  1.  Are you using a filter of some sort?  If so you might want to remove it.  2.  Those could be reflections from the sensor to the back of the lens.  In which case get a lens with better coatings for digital.

Odd forum to ask in, btw.  Might want one of the camera gear forums above.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:23:51 pm by DarkPenguin »

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 12:41:24 pm »

Looks to me like reflections of some of the real lights in the picture off some of the glass elements inside the lens.

Since you are using an SLR you should be able to see the reflections before taking the picture. If you can't find a vantage point from which there are no reflections, they'll need to be removed using your editing software. That's very easy to do in this case since you have a simple black background - just use the rubber stamp or cloning stamp tool.

Lens flare and reflections can also occur in daylight, especially when you have the sun in the frame. Removing them in editing software in that case is a bit more complex. Contact me for instructions should it ever come up.

AndyF2

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 12:42:41 pm »

I hope this forum is the proper place,  I simply don't know where else to post it

I keep seeing these green spots in my photos.  They keep showing up in the shots I take at night.  I don't see them in daylight photos.

the camera is a Nikon D50

I have cleaned the sensor by following instructions. (eclipse solution and sensor swabs)

any thoughts?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=166338\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
They are reflections, either in the lens or between the lens and sensor as DarkPenguin suggested.   Look at the pattern of lights in the middle photo; they match the spots in the third photo, but the spots are rotated upside down.
The colour comes from the actual colour of the lights.  The reflection is dim enough not to blow out all three colour sensors.
You might actually see these in the day.   Have something bright and concentrated in one area, and orient yourself so a very dark (shadow) area is opposite the bright spot on a line going through the center of the image and equally distant from the center.  The bright spot and the reflection will be equally spaced and opposite from the center.
Andy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 12:43:05 pm by AndyF2 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up